Quantcast

Who is watching the Tour De France?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
One of the biggest advantages of the "Lance Effect" is the Tour coverage.

Even though there are no Americans who will seriously challenge for the title, I would have normally watched every day of the Tour. However, with all the drug scandals occuring and the fact that I have not subscribed to Versus, I think I am going to skip the Tour this year.

Who is going to watch it?

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
oh man, of course i'm going to be watching the tour . starts saturday right ? like you said no real american contenders is kind of a let down so i probally won't be as much into it this year .

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'll be watching it. You realize that the doping scandals is what is required to clean up the sport? Would you prefer they went back to a system where they turned a blind eye and let everyone cheat as long as they didn't do anything really stupid to get caught?

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I'll watch it when I can... although I'll be spending most of my evenings or the rest of the month working on cars.. and if I get a free moment, I'll be riding.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Pretty impressive sprint finish tonight. I'm not a huge sprinting fan, I like the mountain stages, but they're usually decided way before the finish line.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
you'll love today's stage- great ending. makes mountaing bike crashing look like a cake walk.

as far as doping goes, i thought EPO was too pure to be tested by tests until recently, therefore the hematocrit limit was set to 50% so basically everyone was doping up to 50.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Luckily no one in any other sport cheats and no one in other professional endeavors like music use drugs.
I don't trust pro cyclists or other pro athletes to stay clean. I just think they are retards for making it so obvious that they are cheating. At least have the decency to hide it in private shame.

Conversely, I don't trust any musician that stays clean. All the good music is written while totally high.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I don't trust pro cyclists or other pro athletes to stay clean. I just think they are retards for making it so obvious that they are cheating. At least have the decency to hide it in private shame.

Conversely, I don't trust any musician that stays clean. All the good music is written while totally high.
That is what all the other sports are doing. At least cycling is trying to do something about it. I don't really care either way, just bread and circus for me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The riders tried to do that, but the sport decided to out them without any evidence.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I tried to watch it last night but between the always annoying Al Troutpig, all the stupid commercials, the fact that it was uneventful, and how tired I was, I lasted about 15 minutes before I fell asleep. Normally I can't get enough. I'll probably watch some of the mountain stages but I am getting to the point where I really don't care so much. Pretty sad.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I don't watch much teevee to begin with, but I'm sitting here now flipping between the TDF and Man vs. Wild. It's enjoyable, I guess. I've never really been into road racing before but this year for reason I'm really intrigued by some of these guys.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
I tried to watch it last night but between the always annoying Al Troutpig, all the stupid commercials, the fact that it was uneventful, and how tired I was, I lasted about 15 minutes before I fell asleep. Normally I can't get enough. I'll probably watch some of the mountain stages but I am getting to the point where I really don't care so much. Pretty sad.
The night coverage sucks. The live stuff has phil and paul and is much better. I love DVR.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
STAGE TWO

Serious crash yesterday that involved most of the top contenders. All because one guy's (Zabel?) shoe unclipped from the pedal. I've had that happen to me, very frustrating.

The finish was fun cuz Boonen was supposed to win, but the teammate (Steegmans) leading him out apparently had too much energy at the end and Boonen couldn't get past him. First win for that guy, I think. And Boonen was very happy for him, so that's cool too. I think both of them are Belgiums so finishing first and second in a Belgium city was neat.

Side note: Years ago, if the tour went through your tiny village, the peloton would allow you to race ahead for a five minute lead so you could get a coffee and biscuit with your family. How cool is that? They apparenly still allow that, but it's down to a one or two minute lead. Guess winning has become more important.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
that was a pretty gnarly crash yesterday. big george was caught up in it , but he still is in 4th.when do you guys think he'll start fading off ? the moutain stages ?nice to see him doing so well . go u.s.a. !

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
big george was caught up in it , but he still is in 4th.when do you guys think he'll start fading off ? the moutain stages ?
Seems like it's hard to lose a position on the flat stages. So I suppose the mts when Levi will take over.