Quantcast

Who makes an 80mm rigid fork?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I can't make heads nor tails over all these dammed rigid things.

TaRd

Chimp
Aug 21, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
if you are going for a super close swap the best bet for an 80 mm would probably be the identiti xl rebate... atc is 465 mm. I bought a regular rebate (425mm atc) to replace an 80 mm fork (probably about 1-1.5" difference between rigid and sus) and it dropped the bb too far for my liking. Definatly more in the ball park with an xl

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm riding a Riot with a 100mm fork now. the stock Blackmarket bikes come w/ 80 so I thinking along those lines.

I couldn't tell if the Tech9 fork blackmarket makes is 80 or 100 mm. they only list the a-c and I have no idea how to figure out the numbers from that.

TaRd

Chimp
Aug 21, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
center of axle to crown. I can tell you from experiance in trying to do the same thing, 425 atc was too short. I dont have an 80mm sus fork laying around anymore or i would measure it for ya.

looks like the tech9 only comes in 395mm and 414mm atc... if you want your same geo that is not the route you want to go. an 80mm sus fork is going to be up around 460+mm or so (thats not accurate but I know it is up there)

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Hmmm. what the hell was blackmarket thinking? is the tech9 60mm or something?

arg.

TaRd

Chimp
Aug 21, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
probably around 40-50mm, the fork looks sick though. I put a 425mm atc rigid on an eastern nighttrain that had a 80mm sus fork on it, it honestly dropped the front of the bike about an inch or 2. I tried to correct it with taller bars which helped but i didnt really like the way the bike felt after that so I ended up scrapping the idea and bought a frame designed around a rigid fork. Someone may have a more accurate answer, or may be running a setup similar to yours and be better at giving advice but i think you need to be up in the 460s to retain your sus geo

TaRd

Chimp
Aug 21, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
granted every bike is going to be a bit different because of frame geo I tend to look at the angle of the chainstay, I prefer mine to be a bit more horizontal versus how that one drops to the BB. Thats pretty much how mine looked when I put the 425 atc on the eastern, I would assume that one is in the same ballpark.

I didnt like the bike like that because it was a bitch to manual and it felt very sluggish. Overall it made the bike feel like it was a 50 pound downhill bike. Everyone likes there bikes different though, I have seen an eastern on here with the front dropped super low and they said it was the best thing they have done... differnet strokes ya know?

Last edited:

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Forget 80mm, 100mm, etc. when you are talking rigid.... axle to crown is where it's at.
Measure your 80 or 100mm suspension fork's a2c, and go from there.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I emailed blackmarket today. their Tech9 is the same as a 60mm fork.

Seems like that would put my BB way too low.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
I emailed blackmarket today. their Tech9 is the same as a 60mm fork.
Seems like that would put my BB way too low.
Axle to crown can vary on different forks with the same travel...
Assuming their estimate is equivalent to your fork, 40mm is 1.57" which would lower your bb about 5/8". That's substantial if your BB isn't already pretty high.