Quantcast

who makes the best sealed zs56 headset? (only need lower cup)

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, so, I am looking to add about 5mm clearance for my down tube/fork so that the forks clears.
I have found a few 10mm, but that’s too much. (Already over-forking by 10mm).
Suggestions?
currently running a ZS 56 of some flavor.
There are apparently two ways to do this, one by (effectively) adding space to the lower cup, and the other adding space under the crown race.
Not sure if there is a better/worse choice?

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
OK, so, I am looking to add about 5mm clearance for my down tube/fork so that the forks clears.
Suggestions?
There are apparently two ways to do this, one by (effectively) adding space to the lower cup, and the other adding space under the crown race.
Can Creek makes a 6mm taller than normal crown race, it that'll fit with your lower bearing and cup.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Suggestions?
Someone other than Trek made a bike that allows the fork to hit the frame?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Someone other than Trek made a bike that allows the fork to hit the frame?
The funny thing is... lots of Trek mtb that come complete with fucking stupid knock block headsets actually have plenty downtube clearance for the crown and adjusters of the fork Trek spec'd them with.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The funny thing is... lots of Trek mtb that come complete with fucking stupid knock block headsets actually have plenty downtube clearance for the crown and adjusters of the fork Trek spec'd them with.
Another funny thing - if you crash a Trek with knock block and the tab breaks off allowing the fork crown to hit the downtube damaging the carbon, its not covered by warranty and the frame is a write off. I get that it is "crash" damage and all but it is their design and device that is supposed to prevent that exact thing from happening.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Can Creek makes a 6mm taller than normal crown race, it that'll fit with your lower bearing and cup.
Indeed it will, thanks.
As to the cup, the bike was specked with a 10mm rise lower cup, which I removed, but put in a 10mm taller air shaft. So they initially covered their asses. However, the bikes (Rocky Powerplay) come with a burly rubber bumper just in case. So, yeah, wonky mix and matching going on.
After poking around, I see that they also make a 3mm, which just might work. (A miss is as good as a mile, right? )

Last edited: