Quantcast

Who out there is still making 27.5 enduro bikes

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I got a third, two seconds and a fourth in Masters 40+ at my local enduros and was blaming the wheel size until someone pointed out the other guys were also training, not riding hungover and practising the trails. I'm still blaming the wheel size but now can't be fucked doing anything about it.

*edit* it was the same twat beating me every race too. British ex-pat so really unlikeable character....

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Whats the radius dimension difference between 27.5 and 29 actually? Just 0.75"/19mm? If that was the case, seems a lot easier 27.5 a mullet bike than it is to mullet a full 27.5 (fork height diff and wheel difference)
Yeah, going full 27.5 on a mullet bike is the easiest path. Just throw one of these on the fork and swap in a 27.5 front wheel -

IMG_3464.JPG

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I don't remember who I bought that one from anymore. There is a seller on ebay - mtbtools - that makes custom sized ones which I've bought as well; although they aren't available in black and don't have the split to make install/removal faster.

got one as well. has come in handy a few times. never had any issues with it. cane creek make a +6mm race if not wanting quite as tall.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Or just enjoy the added stability and corner railing ability of that 19mm lower BB at the detriment of being able to blindly pedal everywhere.

Just bought a new absolute bargain 27.5 wheelset... Nothing fancy mind. Formula sealed bearing 6 bolt boost hubs, 32 J bend 3X SS db spokes with brass nips on i29 rims pre tubeless taped for less than the retail price of a single i29 rim.

Shunning fashion pays.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Or just enjoy the added stability and corner railing ability of that 19mm lower BB at the detriment of being able to blindly pedal everywhere.

Just bought a new absolute bargain 27.5 wheelset... Nothing fancy mind. Formula sealed bearing 6 bolt boost hubs, 32 J bend 3X SS db spokes with brass nips on i29 rims pre tubeless taped for less than the retail price of a single i29 rim.

Shunning fashion pays.
@Gary I had a set of the heavy super crappy formula hubs WAY back in the day and I could not get them to blow up....even on the NW...ran them in snow , rain, mud ...they just wouldn't die .. buddies probably still riding them on a DJ bike ..

As well as the held up should have turned em into a lake bike for ramp to lake jumps. Lol

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
OP, offer @Jm_ tree fiddy for his GG Megatrail.
Man, I rode a megatrail a few times and while I might get shit on in this crowd for expressing any negativity about that brand, I just couldn't really get along with it. I'm pretty lanky tall for just being 6'1" though and large I rode felt like it turned me into the hunchback. Probably deserves more of a look and actually setting it up for my height since I only ever did 2 rides on it to really give it a fair shake, but it was just one of those bikes that didn't really click for me.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I'm liking the suggestions of getting a mullet and then either slapping a longer 27.5 fork on that puppy or a crown extender or some combination thereof. That opens up a fair amount of options, my LBS made me a pretty solid offer on a Slash 6 that might be worth my time slapping a 27.5 fork on and going to town.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Gary I had a set of the heavy super crappy formula hubs WAY back in the day and I could not get them to blow up....even on the NW...ran them in snow , rain, mud ...they just wouldn't die .. buddies probably still riding them on a DJ bike ..
Yeah. I've no problem with running the more decent hub offerings from the likes of Formula, Novatec, Chosen etc
infact I've had infinitely better experience with durability and lifespan with all of those than Hope. And don't get me started on Ethirteen and a few other moar erm.. "respected" brands.
These aren't super heavy or particularly crappy BTW. Just decent weight durable un fussy hubs built into sensible wheels and being sold off cheap as they'll be from OEM overstock liked so many bike companies are currently getting rid of

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Man, I rode a megatrail a few times and while I might get shit on in this crowd for expressing any negativity about that brand, I just couldn't really get along with it. I'm pretty lanky tall for just being 6'1" though and large I rode felt like it turned me into the hunchback. Probably deserves more of a look and actually setting it up for my height since I only ever did 2 rides on it to really give it a fair shake, but it was just one of those bikes that didn't really click for me.
That's how I am with any bikes by Giant. There's something that doesn't work with me. But when I mentioned it on here it was my fault and some made up bullshit that the bike was "clapped out", despite all Giants I ride feel like shit. To each their own.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One front triangle for a bunch of different travel bikes is going to result in sub-optimal geometry.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
That's how I am with any bikes by Giant. There's something that doesn't work with me. But when I mentioned it on here it was my fault and some made up bullshit that the bike was "clapped out", despite all Giants I ride feel like shit. To each their own.
Sounds like the bike you rode was just clapped out, must be a you thing

Just like all of them are. Fuck that company.