Quantcast

Who would you like to see lead the rebuilding of Iraq...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
...and negotiate the various aspects between the three main religions there?

I'd like to see former President Jimmy Carter lead the efforts.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by LordOpie
no humor in my threads... ever... by anyone!

;)

::devil::
Sorry can't help it.

To get serious it looks like this Jay Garner guy is going to be in charge.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=540&e=1&u=/ap/20030403/ap_on_re_mi_ea/war_garner_profile_4

Administrator Ready for Postwar Iraq
Thu Apr 3, 1:23 PM ET

By NANCY BENAC, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - When Jay Garner prepared to leave Iraq (news - web sites) 12 years ago, Kurdish refugees hoisted him on their shoulders like a sports hero. Their children drew pictures to thank the U.S. major general for all he did in the post-Gulf War (news - web sites) effort to aid displaced Kurds.

Spud

Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Idaho (no really!)
Some faceless drone. They key is to for the Iraqis to feel liberated, not occupied. An American may be problematic.

How about that Simon dude from American Idol? He has that accent thing going.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by LordOpie
I said no humor! Arrrrrrgg! :devil: :D

Westy, gotcha, Jay Garner, but is that who you'd like to see?
I don't know enough about the clown to say either way. I just think it will be important to get a friendly yet Iraqi controlled interem gov in place. I think they actually did a pretty good job in Afganistan and hope they follow a similar plan. Hopefully we will not forget about either countries after turning them inside out. The Afganis claim we are not supporting them enough because of our problems in Iraq, that is what put that country is such bad shape after the Soviets left, we just forgot about them after sending them $$millions of weapons.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by Spud
Lord Opie

Just curious, what are the 3 main religions you are referring to? I had thought Iraqi society tended to be somewhat secular?
Two main ethnic groups, Kurds and Arabs. The Kurds are in the North. The two main religions are Shiite (or Shia) Muslims and Sunni Muslims. The Shiite Muslims are in the South. The Shiite are the majority faction. However, Saddam and his regime is Sunni. Most Kurds consider themselves Sunni Muslims.

Saddam's government is secular in nature except for the part here he oppresses the Shiite Muslims and the Kurds (hence the Northern and Southern No Fly zones). And since it is serves his purpose to sell this as a war on Islam, instead of his dictatorship. The Iraqi people are as religious as most Muslim nations.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Heard on npr (!) a year or two ago, interviews of Iraqi's who'd emmigrated to Saudi Arabia. One guy had left because of economic reasons, but he was Christian I believe. Said something like, "saddam is the most tolerant of religions......" when the interviewer was surprised he wasn't muslim.

I think saddam loves his power more than Allah. Who cares what religion the "commoners" as long as you're on top. And when you need religious backing, start referring to Allah in your public speeches. Or your favorite political philosopher. Mine's Jesus.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by patconnole
Heard on npr (!) a year or two ago, interviews of Iraqi's who'd emmigrated to Saudi Arabia. One guy had left because of economic reasons, but he was Christian I believe. Said something like, "saddam is the most tolerant of religions......" when the interviewer was surprised he wasn't muslim.

I think saddam loves his power more than Allah. Who cares what religion the "commoners" as long as you're on top. And when you need religious backing, start referring to Allah in your public speeches. Or your favorite political philosopher. Mine's Jesus.
"most tolerant of religions" in the Middle East is like the "most fuel efficient SUV" in the US. (Tried to use an analogy you'd get;) )

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by DRB
"most tolerant of religions" in the Middle East is like the "most fuel efficient SUV" in the US. (Tried to use an analogy you'd get;) )
SUV? Is that a cable channel?

Ok, he said, "very tolerant..." or something to the effect of "he doesn't care."

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by rbx
jean chretien:D
You only wish you could get rid of him that easily :)

(Off topic...have you ever seen that comic Jeremy Hotz? He's been on Just for Laughs more than once, has a couple of great bits on Chretien.)