Quantcast

Who's got the tailwhips?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not the little kickouts with your bootie all perched up, the real ones.

I can't get the damn bike around. I was screwing around with them on a step up and a learner double we've got with an unpacked landing and I'm not even getting close.

I think I'm focusing too much on the foot kick and not enough on swinging the bike around with my arms.

plus I'm getting the bike so far away from me, I'm having trouble getting it back

any tips?

pnj?

dex?

Battlecat

Chimp
Nov 6, 2006
North Vancouver
I am going to be learning those next summer. I am going to build up a cowan ds over the winter and practice at the whistler foam pit when it opens again next summer.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
i start with the kick then turn the bars counter clockwise (i tailwhip to the left). the hardest part is learning to get back onto the bike and keeping them level

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the hardest part is learning to get back onto the bike and keeping them level
This I know :D

I learned no footers (please don't tell anyone that) and nf can cans just to get used to it. Difference is my bike isn't still 3 feet away from me when it's time to reconnect. ;)

I think I need to send it with the arms a little harder but god damn I was ending up at some wierd angles with that much ballast getting me all crooked in the air.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Woo

It's all in the arms , bigger bikes are going to take more effort to get around than whippy little bmx bikes .
Kinda go off the jump with the idea to get as much POP as possible off the lip then when your ready sorta kick your legs off and turn the bike with your hips then do a circle motion with your arms and the bike should come right around . The hard part is not letting the rotation get away from you , so dont try to turn your bars or the rotation goes from a horizontal plane to a vertical one and that's when things get ugly .

Good luck .. getting back on the hardest part .
One good way to learn it to use one leg to stop the bike ,and land back on the seat .
The harder way is how Rob Nollie used to do em with your knees tucked up into your chest and your ankles right about at cross bar height .

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
oh ya btw, on sunday night i rode a buddies bmx (first time i have been on one in probably three years) at the idnoor park and 360's turned into 540's and tailwhips were INSANE. so easy and quick it was amazing. reminds me, i started learning tailwhips on 26's, then switched to 24's and got them dialed then went back to 26's. i hate not getting back on the bike, i have the same problem occasionally with no footed can cans