Quantcast

Who's running the hope m4 Evo brakes and what do you think of them?

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Hi everyone
I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my Zerode. I have had a ride on a few different brakes and I think it's down to the Hope m4 Evo (special edition just because they will look sweet on my black and green rig)

I rode them for a day in queenstown bike park and they were sweet. Anyone had any long term?

I tend to run gear forever unless it brakes.
I'm not super heavy or light. Around 85 kg.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
Really!? No one has these and no one has any useful hints to setting them up or anything?
All this talk of HAs and BB heights and team changes and the most rediculus speculations from all you industry "insiders" and no one can help when a legit question about the longevity about a product comes up.....

Guts.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
I have run the Hope M4 Evos. They work really well. Set-up is easy, just confiure reach and engagement to your liking. I have run Hope brakes since 1998 so I may be a bit biased. I have run other brakes (including XTR 985 brakes and Avids), but Hope's just work the best for me.

P.S. I weigh 220 pounds.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I don't own them but rode a bike with them and they are considerably weaker than full on dh brakes like v2's, saints, codes. Have that in mind.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I don't own them but rode a bike with them and they are considerably weaker than full on dh brakes like v2's, saints, codes. Have that in mind.
norbar, was that the standard (pre-2012) or the newer eve version? just curious. the new eve levers are "supposedly" 15% stronger or something... i have only ridden the eve, so cannot compare.

anyhow, i have evo m4's on my 170mm trail bike and they stop very well w/ 7" rotors. i would put them against a code or XT in terms of power, with saint & the one brakes being a full notch more powerful.

all the lever adjustments and brake setup is really nice on the hopes, for sure. you can really tune the feel of the lever easily.

Last edited:

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
If you feel that the M4s are not strong enough, then you could always go with the V2s. Not only are the V2s super-strong, but they also pretty much impossible to overheat if you use the vented rotors. But IMO the M4s will be plenty strong with a 203mm rotor. Plus, you will have the best lever feel out there (IMO).

I could go on talking trash about my experience with some other brakes, but those are just my impressions. Most brakes today are at least decent and will work better for some than others. Everyone will have a different impression. And, everyone's experience can be biased by a myriad of factors ranging from riding an improperly maintained brake, rider preference, braking style, and in some cases even bike set-up. I also think that if you ride a particular style of brakes long enough, you adapt to its strengths and weaknesses.

It is like asking whether an Intense M9 or Santa Cruz V10 is a better downhill bike. They are obviously both pretty good. But everyone will just go on arguing about how one is better than the next based purely on subjective impressions. And, in the end the only one that matters is yours.

The point is that all these opinions are based on personal preference. I can only recommend that you try different brakes by riding your buddies' bikes and then make your own impressions. In the meantime the M4s will work just fine. Ride them until you get sick of them and then try something new.

StyledAirtime

Monkey
May 24, 2006
NewZealand
good call. thanks very much for your help. will put my order in ,ive had old juicy 7 carbons for ages and the ones I have ridden (the M4s) were a major step up in power.
sounds like they are liked by the people that have them..

Cheers everyone.

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
good call. thanks very much for your help. will put my order in ,ive had old juicy 7 carbons for ages and the ones I have ridden (the M4s) were a major step up in power.
sounds like they are liked by the people that have them..

Cheers everyone.
Try Formulas before ordering if you can. No complaints from me. Good for
Lightening up your Zerode too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
norbar, was that the standard (pre-2012) or the newer eve version? just curious. the new eve levers are "supposedly" 15% stronger or something... i have only ridden the eve, so cannot compare.

anyhow, i have evo m4's on my 170mm trail bike and they stop very well w/ 7" rotors. i would put them against a code or XT in terms of power, with saint & the one brakes being a full notch more powerful.

all the lever adjustments and brake setup is really nice on the hopes, for sure. you can really tune the feel of the lever easily.
2010 model with tech lever If I don't mistake them for something. I know they were bought new and were new as of april 2010.

btw. For the people recommending formulas. They have sorted out the issues and the lever throw is finally constant?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
btw. For the people recommending formulas. They have sorted out the issues and the lever throw is finally constant?
I'm on '11 The Ones and they have been consistent for the year or so I've had them, far far better than my M810 Saints they replaced in terms of lever throw consistency (which would slowly work their way closer to the bar over time, quite annoying). They're also a lot lighter than the Saints for those into that, power seems comparable over long descents.

I'm keen to try the new Saints when they come out, the old lever had a lot of flaws that the new one seems to have addressed. Hopefully they shed some weight too.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm on '11 The Ones and they have been consistent for the year or so I've had them, far far better than my M810 Saints they replaced in terms of lever throw consistency (which would slowly work their way closer to the bar over time, quite annoying). They're also a lot lighter than the Saints for those into that, power seems comparable over long descents.

I'm keen to try the new Saints when they come out, the old lever had a lot of flaws that the new one seems to have addressed. Hopefully they shed some weight too.
Unfortunately I like the old Saint lever. I may be strainge but I like all the long levered brakes. The saints have been quite consistent for me. Not 100% but waaay beter than my oros and 2008 ones I've tried.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
The lever length is fine, that's not the issue - it's that the lever throw is very long to begin with and seems to get even longer over time (or at least mine did, and so did a lot of others if you read the thread about XTR trail brakes, where people started using the new trail levers instead). A lot of them also had issues with leaking slowly from the lever topcap (mine included). It's a shame because they are a very good and very powerful brake otherwise, and Shimano are usually much more reliable - if that is sorted for the new ones I think they'll be a winner. Sounds like you were one of the lucky ones.

I've never actually owned any Formulas before, but my '11s have been very reliable. It seems it took a while to iron the bugs out though.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I hated my oros. The power and the fad was good with a proper brake fluid but the lever throw was completely random. It was very distracting. Also I had an "episode" when they decided to fade very suddenly on maybe 500m of a trail. Never happened before and I had to jump off my bike mid turn. That's probably one of the main reasons I still distrust formula.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
norbar, i have to agree, the one levers area a PITA to own, as the lever varies all over the place unless you add on the pad contact adjust. also of note is that you tested the tech lever, not the tech evo lever. the new eve are for sure comparable to codes in terms of power, but a much better lever feel, weight and adjustment range.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think it's worth specifying year model with the Formula stuff because oro doesn't = the one, and even the one varies significantly in every single year model.

The '11 ones have been consistent and reliable for me and everyone I've seen that has owned them, the only problem I had was the lever reach is a little far out, but I came up with a little mod to get around that (or you can just buy FCS).

Anyway like I said I had a bunch of little dramas with the Saints, but that doesn't mean the next generation will have the same dramas (I was thoroughly impressed by both the new XT and XTR-T levers) - and I think the same goes for Formula or any other brand. It's worth keeping an open mind because a lot of stuff does change / get better. Except maybe one particular brand... :D

Banga

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Wellington, New Zealand
I think it's worth specifying year model with the Formula stuff because oro doesn't = the one, and even the one varies significantly in every single year model.

The '11 ones have been consistent and reliable for me and everyone I've seen that has owned them, the only problem I had was the lever reach is a little far out, but I came up with a little mod to get around that (or you can just buy FCS).
x2, no issues what so ever with MY11s either.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Anyway like I said I had a bunch of little dramas with the Saints, but that doesn't mean the next generation will have the same dramas (I was thoroughly impressed by both the new XT and XTR-T levers) - and I think the same goes for Formula or any other brand. It's worth keeping an open mind because a lot of stuff does change / get better. Except maybe one particular brand... :D
I also rode my friends 08 the one and they were as horrible. He complained about them for the whole season. It's good to hear since the weight/power ratio on the ones and ovals seems amazing.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I think Hopes kinda stand out due to the modulation. They are generally low maintenace and I have never personally had them fail due to heat or get brake fade. I think when choosing a break you need to kinda think about your riding style. Are you full on, full off. Or is your braking finger always working and modulating. There are brakes that better suit both styles.