Quantcast

Why are there pop-ups on RM that are downloading malware?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So I've lost Internet Explorer permanently on this computer as a result and it's trying to do the same thing in Opera. Can someone please get rid of this?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
This hyperactive annoying flashing banner on here was popping up all kinds of crap on my work comp, immediately thereafter there are all sorts of fake "spyware" applications starting up on my computer telling me I need to pay them. Came from here though, and now I have to try to salvage my work computer and hope it isn't completely crippled by Monday...

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's what I run at home. This was on the work comp unfortunately and for the minor bit of web browsing (email, checking PM's/etc) it's not really worth it as it's still a company machine.

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
#1) go HERE.
-Download Firefox 3
#2) go HERE.
-Add Adblock Plus 1.0
#3) go HERE.
-Add Flashblock 1.5.7.1
#4) go HERE.
-Add NoScript 1.8.8.5
#5) Enjoy. :happydance:

If you haven't used firefox before w/ all this stuff, it takes some getting used to. When the little bar at the bottom of the screen pops up, it's asking you which pieces of your current webpage you want to allow. So, click the options button, and click on the main website url. that should make the webpage usable. And if things you need still aren't working, then you go "allow" some more websites using the options tab on the little pop-up bar on the bottom of the screen.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Given that you're the only person reporting this, I suspect that your spyware infection (if that's what it is) has nothing to do with Ridemonkey or its ads.
I agree; there have been a few issues with the ad networks but every complaint of spyware that I've seen has been a complaint from a single user. People are pretty ready to complain if there are problems, I'd be surprised if an ad network was serving malware ads and we only heard it from one person.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
#1) go HERE.
-Download Firefox 3
#2) go HERE.
-Add Adblock Plus 1.0
#3) go HERE.
-Add Flashblock 1.5.7.1
#4) go HERE.
-Add NoScript 1.8.8.5
#5) Enjoy. :happydance:

If you haven't used firefox before w/ all this stuff, it takes some getting used to. When the little bar at the bottom of the screen pops up, it's asking you which pieces of your current webpage you want to allow. So, click the options button, and click on the main website url. that should make the webpage usable. And if things you need still aren't working, then you go "allow" some more websites using the options tab on the little pop-up bar on the bottom of the screen.
This is too hard to do. Could you come over and click my mouse for me?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I've gotten it too, it'll automatically direct my browser to a malware site. Usually happens when I'm running Firefox or Chrome (can't remember which). Wasn't sure if it was just me, but it seems to only happen on ridemonkey....

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I got some malware on my old computer while browsing this site at my parent's house over the holiday. Everything was going fine, then I clicked on a thread and it seemed to load really slowly, but I could hear the hdd churning like it was reading/writing lots of info. I hit the back button, and then at about the same time an update for Adobe reader came up (unusual since I did not have it open) and then I got a Symantec warning for a virus. I closed everything, restarted the comp, and ran Symantec full scan and Malwarebytes to get rid of everything. I also opened Adobe reader and checked for updates, and the same one that came up before showed up again so it must have been legit and just a coincidence that a virus/malware downloaded itself at the same time. I was using Firefox, but not with any add ons.

My parents also got a piece of malware on their computer (SpywareGuard 2008) and I had to remove that. I ended up having to reset the router so I could log in and change the firewall settings because I am not sure if it was enabled before, and maybe that explains why stuff was getting on the computers so easily.