Quantcast

Why do BMX bike have seats?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey

seriously, what use is this; i have a superco & i cant even sit on that, imagine this thing, lucky enough the pedals clear it

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
So if your feet slip off the pedals you land on a seat and not a tube or get a tire up your butt. And if your cruising down the street you can just sit and put your feet down a little for longer distances instead of standing the whole time. Also a lot of people probably use that seat and pinch it with their legs for no handed tricks, to grab back a tail whip with their foot, etc.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
And maybe this too.

So if your feet slip off the pedals you land on a seat and not a tube or get a tire up your butt. And if your cruising down the street you can just sit and put your feet down a little for longer distances instead of standing the whole time. Also a lot of people probably use that seat and pinch it with their legs for no handed tricks, to grab back a tail whip with their foot, etc.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You can sit on it while you wait (mine anyway, dunno about that retard seat angle) and it is in the area where you come down in a crash, beats landing on steel tube. My seats broken right now from this.

That's all I can think of.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
to sit on........

tradition, even though you say your superco's seat is virtually useless, would you actually want to buy a bike that didn't have the ability to run one?

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Just seems like there is no way you can pinch that, unless u use your shinz, and i would think that if u did slip, you wouldnt hit anything anyway, i can see the sitting and waiting part though.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
to sit on........

tradition, even though you say your superco's seat is virtually useless, would you actually want to buy a bike that didn't have the ability to run one?
extremely valid point :D I just see the "trendy BMX'rs" taking off more and more, could never figure out why they didnt loose the X grams their seat weighs.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Well something like the stolen thermalite setup is a only 200 grams. You gotta figure that's worth not having a core sample taken out of your ass.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
to save your ars when you have to really compress, just look at the seat on my hard tail, i think i would have been butt raped if i didn't have a seat.

also demo how may bikes to you have man?

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Go try a trials bike without one. You never know how much you rest on it until it isn't there.
The first time your nuts get pulled in between the tire and brake booster, you will never forget again. Nothing like trying to pull your cajones back through a 3/8" crack.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
I am amazed to see that actually exists, i know some of you may think its a stupid question, but in my mind (as adults riding bmx bikes, not kids under 12) the seat is not very useful(yes there are a few), where as brakes IMO are very useful, people will rip their brakes off in 2 seconds jump a stair set and get hit by a car without thinking twice, but the seat always stayed, i have even noticed a new "trend" of chainless for park. I am not trying to get into the brakes/none argument, but my feelings were that stopping, is more important than sitting. (and forget safety)

How can manufacturers sell bikes without brakes?

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
. . . i have even noticed a new "trend" of chainless for park. . . .
i saw Taj ride an amazing mini ramp spine session in '99 with no sprocket or chain. he was doing bottom bracket slides across the spine coping. and every variation of it you could think of, alley-oop to bb slide, fakie to half-cab to bb slide, it was sick. he was probably just messing around, like broke his chain or sprocket earlier that day.

mag cover from that year:

(also note that he and ruben alcantara were some of the earliest adopters of small sprocket gearing, at that time usually 36-13 or 34-12). it may even be true that they started that trend (although dudes had already been running small sprockets in flatland because it was easy to get small cogs for freecoasters).

Last edited:

hydro422

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Ogden City
I am amazed to see that actually exists,
That is actually just a joke item, FBM made an ad with that a few years ago making fun of people for having the super slammed seat. Its not really for sale.

How can manufacturers sell bikes without brakes?
They can't, well completes anyway. Thats why before removable brake mounts if you bought a bike that was "brakeless" it would come with sidepull like the Odyssey 1999.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
imagine what kind of board room meetings were going on when all the freestyle bike manufacturers came out with scooters for 1987.

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=230960

some dudes were good on them too.... airs 6-8 feet out on vert, 540's etc.... but still, it's a scooter. fad died real quick.

there was some german company in the 90's making heavy duty scooters--they had ads in Ride. apparently dudes riding trails and going big.... heh. anyone remember that? it might have been Dragonfly. or maybe not.

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
(also note that he and ruben alcantara were some of the earliest adopters of small sprocket gearing, at that time usually 36-13 or 34-12).
you sure about that 34-12, because afaik they never had a 12t freewheel only 13t(ran one 36-13) and for a long time 14t was the smallest you could get.

this whole no seat thing smells like another demo 9 trolling.

Last edited:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
you sure about that 34-12, because afaik they never had a 12t freewheel only 13t(ran one 36-13) and for a long time 14t was the smallest you could get.

this whole no seat thing smells like another demo 9 trolling.
yes, i troll, with only 6-8 posts a day, i troll, you caught me :rolleyes: