Quantcast

Why do BMX street bikes not use V brakes?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i have heard its because the arms stick out and can catch your feet in the back while doing street/flat riding and a gyro can easily have enought space if the v's are set up good.
if you really wany to run them they make v-brake plates and also garyfisher makes bmx bikes with v style brakes front and rear.

that being said i have an old ('95)bmx bike that would be just that except it has no gyro...its forsale in buysell..

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Maybe v-brakes aren't necissary for you but I personally have never thought, "this bike stops too well, I better de-tune my brakes." While I have had issues with my u-brakes not working well enough.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
Maybe v-brakes aren't necissary for you but I personally have never thought, "this bike stops too well, I better de-tune my brakes." While I have had issues with my u-brakes not working well enough.
I have.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
Suuuuuure, just go and disagree with me.;) :eviltongu :eviltongu
I like my brakes to work like a mutha fvcker (that's "really good", in none slang) but I also use them to save my ass during manuals and if they work too good it throws my front end down too fast.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
i get pretty sick of 20"ers complaining about their brakes. They suck but can be set up pretty decent, i set up a u brake thingie i think it was on a bmx i rode for several weeks and it was fine....

v-brakes do make good sense for dirt and racing but they are alittle too 'grabby' for street

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Originally posted by MiniChase
i get pretty sick of 20"ers complaining about their brakes. They suck but can be set up pretty decent, i set up a u brake thingie i think it was on a bmx i rode for several weeks and it was fine....

v-brakes do make good sense for dirt and racing but they are alittle too 'grabby' for street
a bmx bikes brakes will NEVER feel like hydros on a mountain bike.
but they can kick some ass if set up. the problem is, people don't know exactly how to do it and/or are to lazy to try.