Quantcast

Why do I suck at DJ'ing?

way2jedi4u

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Boulder, CO
Plz help a useless wannabe. My concern right now are vert ramped doubles, I for some reason cannot do them, I always land 50/50 on the top of the landing.

explain a little more what you mean by "vert ramped doubles"...

if you mean DJ doubles which have curved launch and landing trannies, the answer is actually REALLY simple..
(that is if you are talking about trying to clear the space between the two peaks, and are landing right on the crest on your BB, instead of on the downslope)

IF that is what you mean you are simply not looking where you are landing, you are infact looking at the top of the second lip...your body follows your eyes, so if you keep looking at that spot you will ALWAYS hit it, your body will instinctively make corrections to speed and heading to ensure this...

the reason that you look at that point instead of where you should be looking is instinctive...it is the highest, and therefore the closest point to you when you are in the air, your mind naturaly wants to fall the least....

to make it easier for your mind to follow the "proper" landing spot, bring some flourescent orange marking paint (you can buy this at the hardware store, you want it because it is designed to spray onto the ground upside down)
use it to mark crosshatches down the landing tranny, starting about halfway down, from the top, and ending before it goes to flat...

This way your eyes will naturally be drawn away from the top, to the landing tranny and they will also follow it down..
it will take a LOT of concentration the first few times, so that you don't look back at the top, but later it will be second nature.

Good luck.
I hope that helps

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
i dunno

just kidding, ya i agree you have to look where you land or serious pain will be inflicted onto your body!!!! :D :cool: :)

yeah, but wait until the ground is dry, don't go DJing on wet muddy jumps unless YOU built them (even then it is not a good idea), cuz if you track up the hard work of some poor soul you will make them severly pissed...
that is my pet peeve kids who ride the DJs when they are wet...it totally F8cks them up.

but then have fun ...
Oh, and one last thing, when you are taking off the lip, you do not need to just ride off with speed, actually you will usually bunnyhop (sorta, more like a pump), just before the lip...
that way you can control your direction and position BEFORE you are way up in the air...
and keep your knees bent as long as possible (the other reason for the pump), because if you "reach" for the ground, you will land squirely...
good luck.

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
Try loosening up alittle bit. Since i've seen you ride, i know that you ride a tad stiff. This is completely natural and goes away with time. Go watch someone new to bmx ride around a track, especially older guys, and their back won't move at all while they pedal. Whereas if you watch a good rider with experience, like some of the guys at greenlake, you can really see them react with their bikes in a smooth and loose manner. My best advise is simply to practice, and try pumping, or bunyhopping, the lip more. If you are struggling with greenlake, I wouldn't worry too much about speed. That first big double will throw you plenty if hit right. I have serious issues with overshooting it. Kudos to you for trying!

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
Toast! Watch Toast ride! Look at the way he rides with his heart without thinking about or analizing anything. Just watch Toast!(He's the guy usually in black with long black dreads!

way2jedi4u

Chimp
Nov 27, 2001
Boulder, CO
hmmm...toast....crunchy. Ehh...whenever i'm not jumping (which is quite often) im watching the people that actually know what they're doin......still has yet to help me, maybe im not lookin close enough.

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
did my plan work?

oh ya.... to help with the pumping start with the samller doubles, with the smaller gaps and lips etc. when you rule those jumps move your way up to the biger ones and then bigger ones until, YOU SHALL RULE THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! MUHHAAAHAHAHAHA ok have fun......

p.s. how old r u dude? i saw your pic in that one thread, but i skimmed threw, you a kid? jus wonderin and hpin im not the only kid on this site..... ok thanks :D :cool: :)

SVEN

Sponsor Whore
Feb 9, 2002
here and there, sometimes
Originally posted by way2jedi4u
hmmm...toast....crunchy. Ehh...whenever i'm not jumping (which is quite often) im watching the people that actually know what they're doin......still has yet to help me, maybe im not lookin close enough.

Just practice. I raced BMX for years and watching the older experts and pros didn't really help me, at least not consciously. just keep jumping, by the time you are my age you'll be a star. By the time you're Jody's age you'll be old.:D