Quantcast

Why do intelligent cool people hate Wal-Mart?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Why do idiots hate Wal-Mart?

Here's a company that sells stuff people want to buy at a price people want to pay. what's wrong with that?

So why all the blind hatred? Is it because Wal-Mart is so sucessful and some people can't stand sucess? Or is it just trendy?

:blah:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
N8 said:
So why all the blind haterid? Is it because Wal-Mart is so sucessful and some people can't stand sucess? Or is it just trendy?

Google. Use it.

There's plenty of info about Walmart.

You can also use it as a spell checker.

:blah:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
The only thing I don't like about them is that their prices make it hard for small town small business. That said, they do have a decent selection of decent stuff at good prices - I shop there some times.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
why dont you do some Googling & then cut & paste us about a kajillion threads. :rolleyes:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I hate walmart because:

1)the store is always a mess
2)half the time the item I want is diplayed, but they dont have any
3)there always is a long wait to check out
4)most employees are not pleasant or helpful

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I enjoy shopping, but I can not stand Walmart. It has nothing to do with the political or social reasons everyone discusses. I just think the stores are a mess, the people that shop there suck, the people that work there are unhelpful, and trying to get through the cash registers makes me want to shoot someone. It's not a fun shopping experience, and MBC has to drag me kicking and screaming anytime she wants to go.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Only N8 would think that the only reason people have to dislike Wal-Mart is because they blindly hate successful businesses :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
douglas said:
I hate walmart because:

What you said +

5)My first job was in a crappy retail store and it sucked sucked sucked sucked. Walmart reminds me too much of it.

6) I hate stores in general.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
ThePriceSeliger said:
Trendy. Walmart has everything you need, but the wealthy crew who has the money would rather buy good brand products instead of just getting themselves by.
Wal Mart is anything but "Trendy"

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
douglas said:
I hate walmart because:

1) True, but in Amarillo Texas, we have 4 Super WalMarts
2) Never had that problem because I don't go "shopping" at walmart. I only go for specific reasons.
3)Never had that problem either. Our walmarts are HUGE and there is selfcheck out now-adays which is easy.
4)The employees are your average trashy old people who hate people like us. Very unhelpful and douche bags most of the time.

I'm not backing up walmart by the way. I would prefer not to go, but I find myself there evert one in a while to buy something cheap.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
They sell the same crap some mom & pop store sells at a cheaper price. Not to mention the mom & pop store doesn't pay a better wage than Wal-Mart nor do the offer any benefits to speak of. And your advancement opportunities are really limited at a mom & pop store...

:p

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I saw first hand what Wal Mart did to Woodburn, OR. The only store able to survive was Safeway and that's only because they built a much larger store on the very oposite side of town.

When my wife used to buy baby formula there, she thought it was great. Then one day we were in Salem and she went in to buy some. She noticed the price was $3 more a can (30% price hike) in Salem. I told her it would be the same in Woodburn once K-Mart closed. Sure enough, 6 months after K-Mart closed, BAM!

When will republicans understand it's more that just about $$$?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Why do I hate Walmart?

Why do I hate shopping at Performance bike shops? Or Guitar Center?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
They sell the same crap some mom & pop store sells at a cheaper price. Not to mention the mom & pop store doesn't pay a better wage than Wal-Mart nor do the offer any benefits to speak of. And your advancement opportunities are really limited at a mom & pop store...

So you believe that mom & pop stores, which are the backbone of many local economies, should just not exist?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
So you believe that mom & pop stores, which are the backbone of many local economies, should just not exist?

Why should consumers pay more for the exact same crap just to keep a mom & pop store in business? Chances are the M&P doesn't roll hardly any money back into the local economy...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The problem stems from the fact that a mom&pop store generally doesn't make enough money to offer decent wages or benefits to its employees. Walmart makes gobs of money, and is one of the worst places in the country to work. Walmart isn't the only retailer with this problem, but they are the biggest one. Do a search on "Wegmans" sometime. They make gobs of money, are hugely successful, put tons of mom&pop stores out of business, and take care of their employees.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There is nothing wrong with Walmart if you love the homegenization of America and the siphoning of money away from the communities in which the stores are located. Sure, they bring (mostly low-paying) jobs. Sure, they are just engaging in free competition. They also take the bulk of the profits elsewhere and IMO have a huge negative impact on community character.

But it's ok, soon all the people who remember what it's like to shop at a local level will be dead, and we can all feel safe knowing that wherever we are on the planet, we will all have the same consumer experience.

Yay! Let's all be penny wise and pound foolish. :mumble:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
The problem stems from the fact that a mom&pop store generally doesn't make enough money to offer decent wages or benefits to its employees. Walmart makes gobs of money, and is one of the worst places in the country to work. Walmart isn't the only retailer with this problem, but they are the biggest one. Do a search on "Wegmans" sometime. They make gobs of money, are hugely successful, put tons of mom&pop stores out of business, and take care of their employees.

So why is there a new super Wal-Mart opening up just about every week fully staffed with people who want to work there? They have far more applications for employment than they have jobs available... I mean if it sucks so bad an all...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
H8R said:
Why do I hate Walmart?

Why do I hate shopping at Performance bike shops? Or Guitar Center?
Guitar Center every now and again has some great deals...(strings picks cables..etc...)

BTW...do you happen to know who the studio drummer for soilwork was?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
N8 said:
So why is there a new super Wal-Mart opening up just about every week fully staffed with people who want to work there? They have far more applications for employment than they have jobs available... I mean if it sucks so bad an all...
Do they want to work there? Or are they people who are dirt poor, with no other option, who will lose their unemployment benefits if they turn down a crappy job with no benefits?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I hate walmart and other boxstores (HD an Lowes) because of the crowds of people and the impersonal service I receive while shopping there.

I appreciate that when I shop at the local M&P store I can get personalized service and help if I need it from someone who is knowledgeable and with whom I have an established relationship.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Why should consumers pay more for the same crap just to keep a mom 7 pop store in business? Chances are the M&P doesn't roll hardly any money back into the local economy...

Locally owned stores roll significantly more money back into the local economy. Just read an article about it. something like 15% vs 8%. Let me see if I can find the source.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
OGRipper said:
There is nothing wrong with Walmart if you love the homegenization of America and the siphoning of money away from the communities in which the stores are located. Sure, they bring (mostly low-paying) jobs. Sure, they are just engaging in free competition. They also take the bulk of the profits elsewhere and IMO have a huge negative impact on community character.

But it's ok, soon all the people who remember what it's like to shop at a local level will be dead, and we can all feel safe knowing that wherever we are on the planet, we will all have the same consumer experience.

Yay! Let's all be penny wise and pound foolish. :mumble:

But Wal-Mart does have a large Community Involvement... at a far greater amount than any local M&P that's for sure:
http://www.walmartfacts.com/community/

This is just for Louisiana:
In 2004, Wal-Mart Stores and SAM'S CLUB gave $3,955,089 to local causes and organizations in the communities they serve in the state of Louisiana. In addition, many charities and organizations received in-kind donations and additional funds raised through stores, CLUBS and distribution centers in the amount of $1,381,433, for a grand total of $5,336,522 contributed through Wal-Mart's presence across the state.

Examples of some of the efforts in Louisiana that our company made in 2004 to reach out to the community include:

Safe Neighborhood Heroes Grants: $202,360
Literacy Grants: $152,500
Community Scholarships: $168,000
Teacher of the Year Grants: $102,000

Louisiana's 2004 Teacher of the Year is Linda Wallace from Glen View Elementary School in Ruston.

Wal-Mart Donated $225,625 to Benefit Louisiana Police, Fire, Rescue and Emergency Medical Services Teams as part of the "Safe Neighborhood Heroes" program​

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Westy said:
Locally owned stores roll significantly more money back into the local economy. Just read an article about it. something like 15% vs 8%. Let me see if I can find the source.
Don't try to confuse N7 with facts.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
Do they want to work there? Or are they people who are dirt poor, with no other option, who will lose their unemployment benefits if they turn down a crappy job with no benefits?
Yep.

You're not getting the cream of the crop who have a ton of employment options open to them. You're generally getting either teenagers who are just starting in the workforce or people who have no applicable job skills, so they turn to Wal-Mart as a place that needs a ton of employees but has no strict criteria for hiring.

I know a lot of people who have worked at Wal-Mart. The overwhelming consensus is that it really sucks.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Westy said:
A significantly larger PERECENTAGE of money. I wonder if that equates to a larger number of real dollars.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
What if Wal-Mart didn't exist... where would all these poor wretches you speak of work then? For some family owned and run M&P? For McDonalds?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Westy said:

If the local store owner lives in your neighborhood, pays local taxes, sponsors the local little league team, and shops at the local grocerystore, of course he must put more back in to the local community.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
A significantly larger PERECENTAGE of money. I wonder if that equates to a larger number of real dollars.
That was a % of the money spent in a store staying in the local economy.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
Yep.

You're not getting the cream of the crop who have a ton of employment options open to them. You're generally getting either teenagers who are just starting in the workforce or people who have no applicable job skills, so they turn to Wal-Mart as a place that needs a ton of employees but has no strict criteria for hiring.

I know a lot of people who have worked at Wal-Mart. The overwhelming consensus is that it really sucks.
I know a number of retired people who work at Wal-Mart and love it.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Westy said:
Maybe percentage-wise. But you and I know that 15% of a pittance is much less than 8% of a gajillion. :D