Quantcast

Why do people not like Manitou forks?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my fork. I've got a very bottom of the line, 3 year old Manitou SX-E fork (80mm) that has peformed and held up very well. I only ride about twice a week, but I push the fork pretty hard. I've been very happy with it.

I was flipping through my Jensen catalog last night comparing forks. I was looking in the 120-130mm range. I was comparing the dirtjumpers to the manitou blacks and shermans. I realize the black forks may not be at the top of the technoligical food chain, but the 03 sport fork specs in at 4.1lbs, is adjustable between 100 and 125mm, and is on sale for $199. That's 1.5lbs lighter than a dirtjumper, and $300 cheaper.

For a weekend aggressive XCer, why wouldn't I choose the black?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
blacks dn't have the best rep for durability but they're stiff decnt forks for the money. the adjustment knobs seem to fall off and the decals will come off within the first few days of riding... but for a relaively casual rider that doesn't NEED the best of the best, they'll be fine.

The Dirtjumpers are a MUCH stiffer and more durable platform. They can take a beating (downhilling, dirtjumping, mountain cross), are extremely low maintenance, and have Marzocchi customer service behind them, which is among the best inthe business. That's what your extra $300 buys you.

From the type of riding it sounds like you do the Black will probably work, but I'd also look into the Marzocchi MX comp and the Fox Forx Vanilla R (1st choice).

I like Manitou forks fine, and even ride a pair of Black Comps, regularly. Sure, they're heavier than several alternatives, but coil springs don't leak or break and the mid-year-sale Comps have upgrades:
--RTA adjuster on the top of the left leg, like an Elite.
--aluminum steer tube, like an Elite.

And, they all have the newer, flat decals that don't seem to come right off like the 3-D Applique ones did.

In terms of the upgrade from the SX-E, you will notice a few things: the Black is indeed heavier, and much TALLER. Aside from the increased travel, the fork crown is also much taller than those of the "Mach" design (your SX-E). The stanchions are larger in diameter, and the fork steers much better than your SX-E does, especially in the rough. Finally, if you were still running some elastomers in the old fork, you'll find the Black feels much smoother after you get an hour or so on it.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
The only Manitou I ever owned was an XVert Carbon DH. I didn't like the spring rate. It was too linear for me, but thats a preference thing. Seems like all their forks are on the linear side. Also, the first time I rode my XV in the rain, I could see bubbles coming out around the top caps ans wipers. The micro lube thing also bugs me. An application would wear out in no time, and I'd be left with a pile of crap in the bottom of the legs. Open bath is the only was to go. They also seem to use way too many plastic parts. I worked for a shop, and when it came to CS, 30min wait times were the norm. Every time we called, we'd get the "Super Secret Inside Phone Number." The direct line reserved for the president or something. When we called, we'd get either voice mail and no call back, or would be left to rot on hold. Basicly, dealing with them was worse than calling the IRS. When it came to servicing them, we had to order a massive fishing tackle box full of parts. You'd be amazed at the number of different top caps they make.
By comparison, when it came to Marzocchi, we stocked bushings, seals, and wipers, and that was about all we ever needed. RS and Manitou proved such pains in the a** to deal with that we stopped stocking them. Even though people would sometimes ask for them, it wasn't worth selling a fork with such a high probobility of problems. There's no point in selling a fork that will require hours of free waranty work down the line. I could go on, but won't. They do make some very nice products, but far too often it seemed like products were being sold when the marketing managers said so, not when the engineers said so. I guess my biggest beef with them was that it seemed like 99% of their problems could have been solved by just a little testing. Sorry this is so long.

TimeBomb

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
Brockton, MA, U.S.A.
I personally broke 3 Manitou Black forks. The first 2 times it lost all it's oil. The third time the lowers came off of the stantions resulting a bad crash and injury. They warentied it the first 2 times and the LBS got me a Z-1 Wedge after it fell apart the third time.

I do like the Durado though.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I dont really nderstand it. I truly think that it has to do with manitou's old reliability issues. Before the X-Verts & Blacks they all had leaking oil/air problems and broken seals galore.

I have an 02 Black Elite 100/120 with stiffer springs and heavier oil in it (better for big hits) and I ride it HARD. I have abused the crap out of it. The only thing that has happened is that it cant be set at 100mm anymore. Other than that Its held up great for over a year with not very much work going into it.

I have a feeling that Manitou's air forks are still are unreliable though. Every time I speak to an owner of one of their air forks they always have complaints.