Quantcast

Why do they build the race bikes *at* the World Cup venue?

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
I mean they obviously have it nailed, it's not like you've got wheels loosening up every time or bottom brackets settling in, etc. The bikes rip. I get it. But why do they build from scratch every race? Just curious. Is it just because it's a fun time?

I guess while I am asking dumb questions...what all do teams typically reuse on the race bike from week to week? Frame? Fork? I imagine not wheels or drivetrain....anything?

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Typically they re-use just about all the hard parts. They replace all the wear items, like pivot bearings, brake pads, chains, tires, etc. Of course anything with fluid in it gets rebuilt/bled. It gets done at the race venue because each rider has a mechanic with them, and that mechanic is their most trusted mechanic, so who better to do the rebuild?

There's also no time in between some of the races to get the bike elsewhere for service, and chances are wherever they did send it wouldn't have all their vendors there ready to help, nor would it be drastically better equipped than the team truck.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
what else are the mechanics going to do while the suspension is off getting its ~30 minutes of ride time rebuild? might as well take shit apart and put it back together...

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
As far as I know they use the bike between the races for training. So of course they will make sure that everything is dialled before the next race.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Since we're asking questions - do they pre break in brake pads at all? Or do the racers head down first practice with a fresh set of pads?

It seems to me at least that's a part I wouldn't want brand spanking new for a race run.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Since we're asking questions - do they pre break in brake pads at all? Or do the racers head down first practice with a fresh set of pads?

It seems to me at least that's a part I wouldn't want brand spanking new for a race run.
I remember Minaar saying he preferred his tyres with one or two runs on them to take off the 'shine' as well. That might have been in the good ol' days before race-specific super tacky compounds tho.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Yes, dig up some old PB pit-walks and look at some of the mechnaic's spare parts organizers. All the pads are out of the package and rubber banded together, they get a couple runs to break them in, then stashed as spares. Would not doubt that most guys have pre-worn tires, at the very least the mechs get to snip the nipples off. Minnaar's mech goes as far as to pre-wear his bottom brackets with an electric drill.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, dig up some old PB pit-walks and look at some of the mechnaic's spare parts organizers. All the pads are out of the package and rubber banded together, they get a couple runs to break them in, then stashed as spares. Would not doubt that most guys have pre-worn tires, at the very least the mechs get to snip the nipples off. Minnaar's mech goes as far as to pre-wear his bottom brackets with an electric drill.
Minnaars mechanic also repacks the bb bearings when brand new

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
lol. i love how everyone is exactly as clear as I am on the answer. Expected nothing less RM :headbang:
maxyedor had the best answer.

a couple weeks back someone posted (i think it was PB) a video comparing the amount of parts various teams go through, from the big factory teams to privateers. it's certainly worth a watch in regards to this topic.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
lol. i love how everyone is exactly as clear as I am on the answer. Expected nothing less RM :headbang:
Serious answer - you'll find they pull those bikes down and rebuild them so often (including between practice day and race day) that it's probably easier to ship them to each race in a state of disassembly anyway. They'd be doing a rebuild anyway so why not make travelling with the bike easier.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This isn't really a mystery to me at all. I do a lot of racing and you want everything to work perfectly in a race, in fact you NEED everything to work perfectly in a race, because it's something that can be controlled. You try to control the human element the best you can, but you absolutely control the elements you can control, so doing things like rebuilding the bike each time ensures that everything works and there isn't some nasty surprise waiting for the racer that will throw a chain, break a freewheel mech, jam a bearing, break the crank, etc. There are also the changes that can then be made on the fly, like cassette gearing, cranks, etc. It just seems like it's smart to rebuild the bike entirely, more than anything else. Then the racer knows they are getting a known quantity each time, rather than hoping the bike will hold together from the last race. I once again question whether most riders really understand what these top racers do to the bikes during a hard race. In other disciplines, the "race machine" gets totally trashed in one race and you either replace the whole thing, or all of the parts. In the nastieness of our muck and mud, a day DHing in the mud at the park can waste your BB bearings easily, so right there you gotta take apart the cranks and bearings, a significant part of the bike.

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
Right on guys. That makes good sense. I notice even during heavy XC season for me in Pisgah (lot of miles), I spend abt 1 day wrenching for every 3 days riding, so ya can only imagine what the guys who can actually ride a bike (!!!!) do to their steeds.

Good vid link jonk. Stoked for Lenzerheide!!!!

Disclaimer: I'm recovering from a broken clavicle so I'm pretty much in full cabin fever/winter season head space.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This isn't really a mystery to me at all. I do a lot of racing and you want everything to work perfectly in a race, in fact you NEED everything to work perfectly in a race, because it's something that can be controlled. You try to control the human element the best you can, but you absolutely control the elements you can control, so doing things like rebuilding the bike each time ensures that everything works and there isn't some nasty surprise waiting for the racer that will throw a chain, break a freewheel mech, jam a bearing, break the crank, etc. There are also the changes that can then be made on the fly, like cassette gearing, cranks, etc. It just seems like it's smart to rebuild the bike entirely, more than anything else. Then the racer knows they are getting a known quantity each time, rather than hoping the bike will hold together from the last race. I once again question whether most riders really understand what these top racers do to the bikes during a hard race. In other disciplines, the "race machine" gets totally trashed in one race and you either replace the whole thing, or all of the parts. In the nastieness of our muck and mud, a day DHing in the mud at the park can waste your BB bearings easily, so right there you gotta take apart the cranks and bearings, a significant part of the bike.
also gives them an opportunity to make adjustments to things based on a particular track / conditions.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I remember Minaar saying he preferred his tyres with one or two runs on them to take off the 'shine' as well. That might have been in the good ol' days before race-specific super tacky compounds tho.
Tires usually have a thin film of release agent from the mold. Traction is always better when this is worn off. Same thing for new car tires, never trust them too much until they get a bit of wear.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Tires usually have a thin film of release agent from the mold. Traction is always better when this is worn off. Same thing for new car tires, never trust them too much until they get a bit of wear.
Yeah it's like scrubbing in the new tyres on a motorbike, never ever trust them until I've got them scrubbed in!