Quantcast

Why I hate people.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Rant:

A few days ago I noticed what I thought was a hairline crack going down 3/4 of my windshield, right in front of the steering wheel. The windshield is only 6 months old, so that got me angry. No big deal, I'll wait til it gets really bad and get it replaced.

Fast forward to today. I'm walking around my Jeep in the driveway when I notice something odd. I was looking at the "crack" from the outside, following it up to the very corner (top right)......WTF??!!?.......someone took a knife and cut about a 3/4" section of my windshield gasket out, hoping it would cause a leak. When they cut it with the knife they must have slipped and scratched my windshield in the process. Guess I'll be replacing this one too....

God I hate assholes.:mad:

/rant

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Call the local windshield repair guy. When he shows up, kick his ass.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ummm... a knife is not hard enough to scratch glass. Try it.
Why do you always feel obligated to ruin our fun? Next time I see you your getting a heart-warming chest punch from me. Then I am going to make you ride in front of me while I talk the whole entire time. That and I'm telling everyone that you burned the bacon and didn't finish your beer before you went to bed... That and I'm pretty sure that was snoring coming out of that tent.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
hating people is a waste.

drinking to forget is a better use of time.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I feel you man... Sucks.... one day i called in "sick", but the reality was i was gonna head out to Diablo Freeride Park for a "weekday" ride, and when i was about to take my bike to the car, i noticed that 15 cars had all their windshields smashed in (looked like a hammer) including mine... :-(

Spend money and full day fixing it....

F@cking azzholes!

On the Moh's scale
  • A knife blade has a hardness of about 5.5.
  • Plate glass has a hardness value of about 5.7.
  • A hardened steel file has a hardness of about 7.
  • Tungsten carbide has a hardness value of 8.5–9.0
  • Borosilicate glass (which I believe is used for automotive windows) is about 2.3 x the hardness of plate glass, say 13.11.
The windshield was not scratched with a knife.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Knives are not generally hardened - you don''t want a brittle blade. Glass is damn hard to scratch. I also believe that your statement about hardened steel is incorrect, but I have no data at hand.
All knives are hardened. The spine of the knife is tempered to give it a little flexibility. If it wasn't hardened it wouldn't hold an edge.

On the Mohs scale steel and glass are about the same. Hardening the material would most definitely make it harder than glass.

I am a metalsmith with 19 years of experience. I take a great deal of pride in my craft. In my profession being able to make your own tools is not only a necessity but a point of pride.

This is a simple bench knife that I made from an old file and a piece of red oak.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
On the Moh's scale
  • A knife blade has a hardness of about 5.5.
  • Plate glass has a hardness value of about 5.7.
  • A hardened steel file has a hardness of about 7.
  • Tungsten carbide has a hardness value of 8.5–9.0
  • Borosilicate glass (which I believe is used for automotive windows) is about 2.3 x the hardness of plate glass, say 13.11.
The windshield was not scratched with a knife.
Auto windshield glass, far as I know, is more like standard window glass with a plastic laminate that holds it together. In any case, hardness scales are relative and depend on context and all- a blade point might scratch something of a higher hardness. Seriously- take a rock or a knife and give your windshield a good knock.

Back to the topic....that sucks. Who the f goes around just cutting up people's cars?

Auto windshield glass, far as I know, is more like standard window glass with a plastic laminate that holds it together. In any case, hardness scales are relative and depend on context and all- a blade point might scratch something of a higher hardness. Seriously- take a rock or a knife and give your windshield a good knock.

Back to the topic....that sucks. Who the f goes around just cutting up people's cars?
a) The glass you're describing is no longer used - it tended to cut people up in accidents. Tempered glass is now used - shatters into thousands of pea sized bits that you spend the next ten years finding in nooks and crannies after a window breaks.

b) The same idiots that slash tires and key body panels.

AngryMetalsmith, let's see some auto glass that you have scratched with one of your magic knives, please.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Let me take a tungsten carbide knife to your windshield. I'm sure it'll do something.

It's besides the point anyway. Intentional damage was done to my vehicle.

I can't think of anyone that I've pissed off.......I bet it has something to do with this (my hometown). Noticed the damage around the ayd after this occured.

http://www.eagletribune.com/punews/local_story_061222613.html
lol wow this thread is good.

so someone (for no reason), took a tungsten carbide knife to your windshield and then cut a hole in your rubber gasket for the hell of it?

highly unlikely. better luck next time.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Did you not see the link, dip****? When cutting the gasket they slipped and whatever they used scratched the windshield (most likely the tip of a knife, etc).

People do stupid things for no apparent reason. Do you think someone had a personal vendetta against the 31 people who got their tires slashed?.............don't think so champ.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Did you not see the link, dip****? When cutting the gasket they slipped and whatever they used scratched the windshield (most likely the tip of a knife, etc).

People do stupid things for no apparent reason. Do you think someone had a personal vendetta against the 31 people who got their tires slashed?.............don't think so champ.
thanks for the 'Dumbass' comment. probably should have kept it to yourself.

So these 'hooligans' decided to go on a 30+ tire ruining rampage and along the way stopped and thought "OH, lets fvck this windshield up and/or steal it!" ??
How do they go from popping tires to stealing windshield gaskets?

What kind of car do you have? Is it expensive/shiny?

And what kind of tires are these people buying?!

"Amit Rai of 88 Edgelawn Ave. said all four tires on his 2000 Mercedes-Benz S500 were slashed. The price tag for new tires on his vehicle will be about $1,600. Rai, an electrician, filed a claim with his insurance company and missed work yesterday to deal with the problem."

An electrician? With an S500? And spending $1,600 on tires? RIGHT.

Best part of the story: I knew it all along! God is not merciful!! The end is nigh!
"It's just destruction for the sake of destruction," he said. "If there's a just and merciful God, he would have let me catch them."
I knew it all along! God is not merciful!! The end is nigh! :rofl:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Dear AlmostHeaven,

I have a slightly modded Jeep full of scratches, dents and always covered in mud. Not exactly a luxury sports car.

Not sure why you're so hell-bent on this subject, sounds like maybe something hit a bit too close to home. Either that or you're completely naive and think people don't do stupid things.

On top of that, if I thought this was somehow revenge for something I did, I would admit it. Of course I would only admit it to myself, and not mention what happened to anyone, let alone post it on a public message board, to avoid the inevitable self-incrimination and subsequent "karma's a bitch" comments from a bunch of people I e-know. I'm not PSP.

But, like most people, I avoid putting myself into situations where some assclown with a hair across his ass goes above and beyond the call of douchebaggery and does emotional or physical damage to me. I don't need that.

Anywho, I hope your car remains vandal free.

Sincerely,

Joe

Last edited:

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
My car will remain vandal free because I have a scary alarm and I park it in vandal-free sections of the places where I reside.

Karma's a biatch. I've known for that quite a while. Sounds like you need to cleanse your conscience.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
You need a reason to hate people?
I don't.

I hate everyone. Some more than others, but none the less I hate everyone.