Quantcast

Why is it so taboo to sprint up hills

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I have started riding with a good size youth road group. I'm sprinting up hill alot couse its fun and I can. They all get mad and i dont know why, will some one fill me in?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Well, without knowing the situation or anything, it's hard to say. Could it be that they want to work together and you are putting the smackdown on them for no reason?

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
JRogers sounds like he's got a good point. Re-read his post and try to think about the situation from their (other riders') perspective.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
If it's just a fun group ride, then go for it. If you want to work your ass off climbing hills, then more power to you. If it's a paceline where everyone's taking pulls, etc, then maybe it's not the best thing to do. I'm still not sure on all the unofficial roadie rules.

Bottom line: if you want to sprint up a hill and they can't keep up, then that's their problem.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
splat said:
A questions first.

are you the same age as these other riders?

If your older then it could be interpreted as showing off at the younger riders expense.

If you are the same age ( or close ) as most of the other , then Game on!
I'm the youngest rider there.

There is no real "pace line" were jest there to have a good time on the road.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
screw those guys they are just gettin pissed because they are getting dropped.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
its why i like to ride alone. seriously we all ride for our own reasons. it seems to me that going on a group ride doesnt always mean towing the group up the hill. nobody tows me up the hills in the woods.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Maybe that's because nobody needs to be pulled as much in the woods. Seriously, road and mountain are two different things and riding as a group on the road is a much bigger advantage than on dirt.

Here's a situation that I was in recently: I went on a road ride with 2 friends. I had not ridden my road bike in 3 months and I was hungover from the previous night. Several times, they dropped me and then waited for a minute at an intersection or something. On dirt, I wouldn't care. However, I asked them to keep the pace back a bit. They would pull away from me and then work with each other, meaning they pull further away and I can't do anything about it. It was annoying and not really in the spirit of what we went out for. In this situation, riding with a group means riding as a group. If I were riding with a group where this was the mentality-everyone does their part without exception- then I can see why sprinting ahead on my own without a care to anyone else might be rude and sort of obnoxious. I am not saying that is your situation, Montashu, but it is something to consider.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
all those roadie conventions!!!!!!, the middle-aged, spandex-clad, pro-infatuated crowd is kinda lame sometimes.
why would they get mad in the first place? wtf????? people dont ride for fun no more?

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
ALEXIS_DH said:
all those roadie conventions!!!!!!, the middle-aged, spandex-clad, pro-infatuated crowd is kinda lame sometimes.
why would they get mad in the first place? wtf????? people dont ride for fun no more?
you're always the basher goodlord, do you ever not complain? i'd be willing to bet those same guys drag your sorry carass all over the place on those rides........

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
indieboy said:
you're always the basher goodlord, do you ever not complain? i'd be willing to bet those same guys drag your sorry carass all over the place on those rides........

hahahahaha, chill down, am making fun of a bunch of middle-aged plum-smugglers with pro-attitudes towards people who hammer it in uphills, like if it was an olympic track-pack or something.

and yeah, probably roadies would kick my ass on a bike ride, tough i can keep up with the middle-aged for a few hundred meters while speedskating (no spandex tough). :blah:

if somebody gets mad in a ride because of a guy hammered uphill, they are just taking things too seriously too, for it to be fun.

SpeedyObnox

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
1. dont sniff the guys butt in front of you
2. no crashing
3. bunny hops only for big dead animals (dogs, deer, etc.) no raccoons, cats, chipmunks or squirrels
4. fat guys must lead the downhills
5. indieboy is gay as ****

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
TheMontashu said:
Couse past like 50 miles riding alone on the road is extreamy hard.
so the English language, but we manage.

Seriously tho, it takes a while to build up distance. Last summer, 50 miles nearly killed me. Now, I don't bother doing less on weekend rides and most of the time it's just a buddy and I and since he's a bit faster, I cover the distance solo. Distance is mostly fluid and fuel management.

Perhaps your friends are annoyed cuz you're using them to cover the long miles, but they think you're not doing your share?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
TheMontashu said:
They dont want to draft off of me im 120 pounds
I bet you have a cute little ass that they want up front to enjoy when you're hammering out of the saddle.

Oh, uhh, I'm assuming you're female. You are, aren't you?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
chicodude01 said:
He is in fact a male.

Hehe.....opie thinks Tm is cute, How sweet :evil:
okay, he's a he and he's 120#... I bet that's a tight little ass that'd score at least a carton in the tank.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I notice your spelling accuracy increase exponentially when you're afraid. I shall attempt to keep you scared. Let the stalking commence.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
LordOpie said:
Perhaps your friends are annoyed cuz you're using them to cover the long miles, but they think you're not doing your share?

this is what bothers me about road ridiing, if you sign up for a 50 mile ride then expect to ride 50 miles dammit without counting on someone to "do their fair share of the work" . what share? oh do you mean pedaling their own bike and body for 50 miles while you try to do the same?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
biggins said:
. nobody tows me up the hills in the woods.
That was at least 5 miles up hill to the top of Caney Bottoms! You did absolutely NO work what so ever getting to the top. :monkey: You just sat there and let me do it all. :evil:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
hehehehe. maybe you can push my bike for me some on the brown mtn death march that way i wont have to do all the work.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Probably just sour grapes that they can't follow you. I ride in packs a lot, and there is always someone complaining about someone else not playing fair. :rolleyes:

BUT, if you sit in the pack and either don't work or only take an even amount of pulls, and then are obviously way stronger than everyone else on the climbs, you need to either get a new group of riding pals or should do more work on the flats. When I ride with friends there's pretty much always someone who is stronger than the rest, we chide that guy into working harder (relatively) as kind of an equalizer/handicap that helps keep the pack together, especially on longer rides.

On the other hand, if you're just sitting in, not taking pulls, then hitting the climbs fresh and riding away from the guys that have been towing you, that's pretty lame.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
SpeedyObnox said:
1. dont sniff the guys butt in front of you
2. no crashing
3. bunny hops only for big dead animals (dogs, deer, etc.) no raccoons, cats, chipmunks or squirrels
4. fat guys must lead the downhills
5. indieboy is gay as ****
i'm so coming by your store and taking the biggest dump you could possibly imagine by the fitting station.........