Quantcast

Why is it that we need this steakhouse???

J

JRB

It's my gripe that these guys feel so important that they close all down town parking so they can valet. I pay taxes and should be able to park down there any time. They redid a cool old department store and all, but I think we can all agree that this menu is a bit much for a crappy little town of 60,000 people. The place is crowded, smoky, and the service is not spectacular. I have a $50 gift card from the ladies at my old job, but don't want to drop coin to use it on this joint. They don't even have hot waitresses any more.

http://www.cheevesbros.com/

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I order my steak by saying, "Meh...just knock the horns off and scare it with a Bic." Usually gets an eyebrow or two raised...

Hmm...that kinda sux...definitely need the hot waitresses to make it a true dining experience.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Looks like the kinda place where you don't go there for the food. Limo service? For a frikkin cow dinner? :think:

Place looks pretty pretentious.

On your valet parking rant... I agree... they do that here in Pasadena too. Block off PUBLIC parking so they can valet. But the movie people are the worst. They come in and block off neighborhood streets and cause traffic so they can film their little movie. Hey buddy, go rent a frikkin studio! I hate movie people. :grumble:

But I do love a good steak. :drool:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
loco said:
It's my gripe that these guys feel so important that they close all down town parking so they can valet. I pay taxes and should be able to park down there any time. They redid a cool old department store and all, but I think we can all agree that this menu is a bit much for a crappy little town of 60,000 people. The place is crowded, smoky, and the service is not spectacular. I have a $50 gift card from the ladies at my old job, but don't want to drop coin to use it on this joint. They don't even have hot waitresses any more.

http://www.cheevesbros.com/
and they have a pretty great wine selection too.

Antinori, “Tignanello”, Tuscany, Italy 99
:drool:

J

JRB

I just remembered how good the tortilla soup is at lunch. That's why we need it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
6 ****ing dollars for a side of asparagus
6 ****ing dollars for a baked potato
23 dollars for a chicken entree

this place is RI-****ING-DIC-U-LOUS

J

JRB

I agree. It's decent for lunch. The tortilla soup is f'n good, but the pretentious BS sucks. It's crowded and I think the service sucks. There is an Italian place around the corner that is much better, for less. Besides - it's TX. We have plenty of good steaks anyway.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
laura said:
6 ****ing dollars for a side of asparagus
6 ****ing dollars for a baked potato
23 dollars for a chicken entree

this place is RI-****ING-DIC-U-LOUS
Hah.

Check the place my wife worked at in '05 (keep in mind this is just the BAR menu...):

http://www.cyrusrestaurant.com/bar_menu.htm

The occasional rich couple would spend up to $1400 on dinner.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Potroast88 said:
HOLY CRAP!! They have a $3200.00 bottle of wine on their menu.
Do you know how many hookers you could buy for that kind of dough?
no. how many?

btw, that Romanée-Conti makes the Château Mouton-Rothschild 1982 look like a steal @ $900 (though it is a bit gauche to list the 'growth' classification beside it...if you are spending that amount of coin, you should be pretty familiar w/ the wines...

i ate at a place outside philly which had Romanée-Conti on their list, but i can't recall the price. something astromonical i'm sure, but i thought it was lower than 3200...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
laura said:
only a tool would pay 6 dollars for a baked potato. right now i can get 10 pounds for 6 dollars at the grocery store.
...or maybe paying $6 for a baked patato at a nice restaurant isn't a big deal for many folks. Like it apparently is for you.

Enjoy your ten pounds of taters! You're a winner!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
narlus said:
..if you are spending that amount of coin, you should be pretty familiar w/ the wines...
Tourists with massive coin don't know/care.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BurlyShirley said:
why pay so much for wine? You can get way drunker for a $9 bottle of early times.
$5 will buy you a loaf of wonder bread and a couple cans of spam. more than enough to sate most appetites. :blah:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
good point.

btw, i wouldn't throw that kinda cash down for a bottle of wine myself, but if someone else was buying...i wouldn't put a hand over my riedel.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
justsomeguy said:
...or maybe paying $6 for a baked patato at a nice restaurant isn't a big deal for many folks. Like it apparently is for you.

At least she's a cheap date :D

J

JRB

I can't wait until Laura gets here and rips justsomeguy a new ass. :think:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
justsomeguy said:

just because you don't think its a big doesn't mean you aren't a tool. The fact that you're so defensive about my opinion of the price of your potato consumption drives my point home.
If you want to be anally raped by a 10 cent spud, more power to ya.

As for my ten pounds of potatoes, i can cook any steak house "chef" under the table, and the best part: i get to eat in my own home NOT surrounded by pretentious tools. :monkey:

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
there is an area around me in brooklyn that is a strip of restaurants and bars. and because there are so many friggin cars each one has its own valet. which in turn makes it near immpossible to find parking. Being a valet myself at one point i refuse to give my car up to some kid to park it. anyways I have had verbal confrontation with these valets that i was taking there spot.. last i heard parking on the streets is open to everyone i usually tell them . i will move cones garbage pails , signs etc to park in these reserved spots... screw 'em let them earn there money!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
laura said:
As for my ten pounds of potatoes, i can cook any steak house "chef" under the table, and the best part: i get to eat in my own home NOT surrounded by pretentious tools. :monkey:
do you have a reliable source for dry-aged beef? how deep is yr wine cellar?

those are the main two reasons why i'd consider going to a steakhouse.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
narlus said:
do you have a reliable source for dry-aged beef? how deep is yr wine cellar?

those are the main two reasons why i'd consider going to a steakhouse.

yes, but if you will take note of my original post, i never complained about the price of the seafood, steak or wine on the menu. I only complained about the ridiculous price on potatoes, veggies and poultry.

besides the tool comment was in retaliation to s.s. claim that i am a hick. (which i am not, FOR THE RECORD ;) ) its just funny when someone gets their panties in a wad because they didn't get a joke that wasn't even aimed at them in the first place.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
The cheapest thing most resturants spend their money on is the food to make the dishes...

The other overhead costs are crazynuts...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
laura said:
yes, but if you will take note of my original post, i never complained about the price of the seafood, steak or wine on the menu. I only complained about the ridiculous price on potatoes, veggies and poultry.
mine was a slight joust at yr 'cook circles' comment...a big part of the meal is the raw materials which go into it. ;)

btw, even something as mundane as chicken can be transformed by a good cook. i had the most juicy, delicious 1/2 roast chicken last month at a bistro, and i've roasted plenty of chickens in my day. once you add in the window dressing like foie gras or morels, the price tag can accelerate accordingly.