Quantcast

Why lump "Cyclocross" with XC riding ?

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
I mean, isin't this on a road bike, but with skinny/knobby tires & shoes that you can walk (or, "run") in ?

Seems a Cyclocross race is vastly different than Cross Country riding...
Besides how many people actually ride their cyclocross bike on a casual group ride? Isin't this roadies that want's to ride in the dirt? Why am I bitching? Will I ever visit this forum again 'cause it's got this east coast thing ;) bundeled with the common person's riding? :think:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
I do not think there are too many CX'ers on this board. This at least lets them know they are welcome. :)

I ride my CX bike on the road all the time. I may try racing this fall also.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
You know, I bet it's real fun to do; riding hard, jumping off real quick & hopping over logs & stuff, trying to get back on w/o falling, clipping in while looking forward for the next obstacle mud flying all over the place :D :D :D
Bet you go through the drivetrain pretty quick also… :eek:
I see them advertised all over the East, but none in Southern California…:think:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by ET_SoCal
You know, I bet it's real fun to do; riding hard, jumping off real quick & hopping over logs & stuff, trying to get back on w/o falling, clipping in while looking forward for the next obstacle mud flying all over the place :D :D :D
I see them advertised all over the East, but none in Southern California…:think:
Anything more than 105 is a wasted on Cyclocross... there is Cyclocross in your area... it's just the dry and dusty variety. ;)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by ET_SoCal
dude it's rough, if you think an xc race is harsh then go for a cx race on a cx bike.......it's pretty much staying at your max the entire race then having to get off and run like hell over the barriers. lol just don't get so blown up it'd be a tradegy if you were tired and tripped on a barrier and busted your face on the next one :eek:

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Because you have to pedal up hills in the dirt and muck! What more in common does there need to be???? :)

I think it should be Cyclocross/ Cross Country/ Singlespeed... because the only decent SS forum I know is the mtbr one and I hate mtbr's forum format :monkey:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Drunken_Ninja
cyclo cross and cross country are like both winter and summer sports and use the same trails. That is how it was explained to me. They do the same thing.
not really lol. the only thing in common is speed and pain :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
Originally posted by MikeD
Isn't that what Indieboy said...? :p [/QUOTE

no he said, to paraphrase "I did one CX race and I should do more, but i can't get my **** together"
[/QUOT

lol!!! i've done 2 thank you. they hurt a LOT. hopefully this fall/winter will go smoother then last did....

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Personally I think CX belongs with the roadie section more than XC. I don't feel like I really have a place to go on RM. I don't participate in true DH or DS, yet I have more in common with the setup of people's bikes there than this forum. I don't race XC and my bike is not that light, I'm just an aggressive trail rider that has to pedal up the climbs to get to the downhills. And I love trying the hardest lines and finding big transitions and fun drops. Is that still XC? Or is it "light freeride?"

This rider wears baggies. :o:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by fonseca
Personally I think CX belongs with the roadie section more than XC. I don't feel like I really have a place to go on RM. I don't participate in true DH or DS, yet I have more in common with the setup of people's bikes there than this forum. I don't race XC and my bike is not that light, I'm just an aggressive trail rider that has to pedal up the climbs to get to the downhills. And I love trying the hardest lines and finding big transitions and fun drops. Is that still XC? Or is it "light freeride?"

This rider wears baggies. :o:
post more, worry less.....

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by fonseca
. I don't participate in true DH or DS, yet I have more in common with the setup of people's bikes there than this forum. I don't race XC and my bike is not that light, I'm just an aggressive trail rider that has to pedal up the climbs to get to the downhills. And I love trying the hardest lines and finding big transitions and fun drops.
OH! I've heard of you riders! I think they call you 'mountain bikers!!!' :p

(what Indieboy said... ;) Post about climbs here and descents 'there' if you have to...consider yourself lucky to have 2 forums to browse!!)

MD

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by indieboy
post more, worry less.....
Not worried at all, just discussing the topic a bit. I happen to agree with the original poster that CX and XC should not be lumped together. That's all.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
I think we could make them all grouped into "Bike Riding" :D

Then have a "Racing" forum in which all forms of competition could be discussed, but only topics that relate to competition in particular.

That would be cool. :monkey:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
I'm still waiting for my Slow Core Riding forum. It's frustrating how much effort i put into this damn site and you think i'd get some appreciation with a forum that best applies to my style of riding...:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: