Quantcast

Why no more Coil forks?

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Yep for its price its really good, personally I've always had a hard time getting along with Fox shocks (albeit earlier gens than the latest X2) but I've really liked the Vivid. The Vivid feels quite similar to a CCDB but lacks some smoothness imo.

Overall you wont be disapointed but there are nicer better performing shocks.

Blackersma

Chimp
Sep 16, 2017
I'm still running a coil 40 and coil 36. Converted the new 40 to a coil.
Not surprisingly they feel better than every air fork. It's probably not crazy to email them and tell them your thoughts, I think coil will make a comeback soon now that bikes have taken another forward step in weight.

You can have a light bike with coil suspension...
Sorry to revive what's an old thread but I'd like to know more about converting the Fox 40 air to coil, I'm about to build something new and really want to coil fork for it. I could eat 1 less donut and weigh less than the weight saving of the air fork!
Thanks
Mark

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
Miss my CR66 set at 180mm , point aim and hold on!!! definitely curious on the PUSH kit for FOX 36,s , Might be a over winter upgrade , and fingers crossed someone does a Yari/lyrik version . Next bike I am looking at is speced with a Yari .

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Next bike I am looking at is speced with a Yari .
The air spring on a Yari is not that bad, it is actually quite good for an air spring. If you want to improve a Yari, I would first ditch the MoCo and replace it with something with real shims like a Splug from Novyparts or a compression block from Fast Suspension. I have a Splug in my Yari and it is the best trail fork I ever had!
If you have more than 160mm of travel, you might need a Luftkappe to make the beginning of the stroke more linear. Below 160mm the larger negative spring will have less impact on the shape of the spring curve so that a Luftkappe is not really necessary.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Sorry to revive what's an old thread but I'd like to know more about converting the Fox 40 air to coil, I'm about to build something new and really want to coil fork for it. I could eat 1 less donut and weigh less than the weight saving of the air fork!
Thanks
Mark
Coil spring assembly just drops in. Fox actually still does make a coil spring 40, it's just OE only. If you call them they'll almost certainly have the parts available. They're good about stocking and selling replacement parts.

Only thing to keep in mind is that you probably won't be able to go back to an air spring after converting. The coil will slap around inside the stanchion and scratch it up so that it won't seal properly if you go back to air.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Also if you're buying a new fork, you could just buy the performance elite version. I think they're even selling them with RC2 dampers as an option (maybe not, where I saw one was questionable as to the source). And if not, just buy that fork and then buy the damper.

cuz gold looks stupid anyway

Last edited:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Thanks
Mark
What HAB said, and if you like you can just reuse the float topcap and make up some spacers to set the preload (saves some money over buying the preload topcap / spacers etc).

Enjoy!

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
For anyone interested, I pinged the Super Alloy Racing guys about their spring kits since no one has a 180mm fork option yet. Their response is they no longer plan to take it to market due to the introduction of other products recently, although it sounds like custom may be an option (no mention of price). They also think that Fox and Rockshox will be coming to market with coil forks this year. I think a lot of people have suspected that, but these guys are likely in a better position to know. I also talked to X-Fusion, and they have no current plans for a coil Metric.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
For anyone interested, I pinged the Super Alloy Racing guys about their spring kits since no one has a 180mm fork option yet. Their response is they no longer plan to take it to market due to the introduction of other products recently, although it sounds like custom may be an option (no mention of price). They also think that Fox and Rockshox will be coming to market with coil forks this year. I think a lot of people have suspected that, but these guys are likely in a better position to know. I also talked to X-Fusion, and they have no current plans for a coil Metric.
Have you tried SR Suntour

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
@PUSHIND ACS dropped in my Pike. Initially impressions are wow. It'll take a bit of tinkering to tune the bump stop as small changes in psi seem to make a difference, but the fork is smoooooooooth and supportive. It just moves effortlessly through full travel. Weight gain isn't noticeable.

Last edited:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Dammit... I really wanna pull the trigger on a Ribbon Coil... prolly need to wait until wifee finds new employment. :mad:
I really want one too. I had one in my cart and succumbed to fiscal responsibility after a glance at the checking account. At Universal Cycles with the ubiquitous 15% off coupon it came to ~780 bucks...just in case you pull the trigger. To add insult to injury, my now collectible 36 RC2 (with PUSH tune and 92SE-R's custom air seal head) feels magnificent right now which further detracts from the validity of my desire to upgrade....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I really want one too. I had one in my cart and succumbed to fiscal responsibility after a glance at the checking account. At Universal Cycles with the ubiquitous 15% off coupon it came to ~780 bucks...just in case you pull the trigger. To add insult to injury, my now collectible 36 RC2 (with PUSH tune and 92SE-R's custom air seal head) feels magnificent right now which further detracts from the validity of my desire to upgrade....
After the shop replaced my headset, the cracking noise did *not* go away... so I'm back to suspecting crown/stanchion. Which would make getting a Ribbon coil almost a no-brainer... just need to see about the warranty/send-it-back-to-Fox procedure. I could hawk the warranty fork for a few hundy...

Probably shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, though...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
After the shop replaced my headset, the cracking noise did *not* go away... so I'm back to suspecting crown/stanchion. Which would make getting a Ribbon coil almost a no-brainer... just need to see about the warranty/send-it-back-to-Fox procedure. I could hawk the warranty fork for a few hundy...

Probably shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch, though...
I can see the "bike math" taking place in your brain right now. "Hmmmm, get this warranty fork from Fox, sell for 3X it's actual value, get MRP on sale (and in so doing save my own life by avoiding a catastrophic structural failure in my fork)....hell, I'll probably turn a profit on this deal! My wife might actually be angry at me if I didn't buy an MRP. I must purchase this fork in order to save my marriage! <clicks purchase>"

I've never had thoughts like that. Never.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
You know... it never occurred to me that it might be a cracked frame. :think:

Maybe it'll pull off one of those Intense-esque fork pulls through the head tube moves?
My fork or frame has been making a very nasty noise / click when doing drops over 2ft. I may not be a surviver for much longer. :panic:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
i chased one down forever that inthought was a loose pivot/headset/fork/crack....and isolated it to the rear shock.

so maybe it’s time to replace ALL the shoxks?!?!

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I could reproduce it off the bike by smashing the fork into rocks. So my suspicion is mostly fork, followed by frame now. :mad:
mental image of you smashing your fork into rox was most satisfactory...but don’t tell your wife that...upon further reflection, i do believe it’s time to replace ALL the things!!!

TheLunchbox

Chimp
May 31, 2014
In trying to keep my coil 2010 Boxxer running for a bit a longer has anyone here run an additional damper to the mission control?

Is it worth spending the cash on an older chassis? Im looking at the charger damper and the C03 fast cartridge. The bushings and uppers and still in great condition.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
This is a bit spammy, but whatever. If you're looking for a coil fork in good shape, I have one for sale... pretty cheap. It's my backup and the same as the one I use as my main fork.