Quantcast

Why should I vote for Kerry?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Silver said:
Fire Departments need to be done away with anyways. That's socialized fire protection, and I'm getting tired of my tax dollars being funneled to help other people out. If they want fire protection, let the market take care of it.
You're either being too smart or.......

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Skookum said:
You're either being too smart or.......
Police departments as well. I'm sitting here and sending money to people like N8 so they don't have to pay for their own security and he's getting a free ride off of me! It's state sponsored stealing, that's what it is.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Silver said:
Police departments as well. I'm sitting here and sending money to people like N8 so they don't have to pay for their own security and he's getting a free ride off of me! It's state sponsored stealing, that's what it is.
Don't even get me started about traffic lights. Just pissing away my money for people who are too lazy to play real life high speed Frogger.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Silver said:
the Lord created everything in six days and then had to take a rest...
God believes in Unions, people who are anti union are people that would have God work on the seventh day without overtime pay.....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Skookum said:
Oh yah well how come China told us to chill out of talking about N. Korea?
no idear - let's see what madeliene albright had to say
Russert: But didn't North Korea develop a nuclear bomb on Bill Clinton's watch?

Albright: No, what they were doing, as it turns out, they were cheating. And the reason that you have arms control agreements is you don't make them with your friends, you make them with your enemies. And it's the process that is required to hold countries accountable. The worst part that has happened under the agreed framework, there was these fuel rods, and the nuclear program was frozen. Those fuel rods have now been reprocessed, as far as we know, and North Korea has a capability, which at one time might have been two potential nuclear weapons, up to six to eight now, we're not really clear. But in this period of time when there has not enough action been taken, I think that the threat from North Korea has increased.

x-script september 12th Meet the Press
Skookum said:
And do we have the funds and chase the WMD's that probably got moved to Syria? or how about the supposed nukes in Iran?
wrong; we'll shrewdly lie in wait for those pesky WMDs to come to us
Skookum said:
Colin Powell's job is to ask for permission if any of you didn't know....
i see him as an advisor, not a policy maker.
Skookum said:
...except knowing that rich assholes are buying a new boat at the expense of alot of programs that will enrich the american community, and not to even go into the deficit.
huh? perhaps you'd like it better if they got incorporated offshore, or better yet, raise the tax even further on luxury items such that they can't be built here & you've missed out on 2 sources for taxes. It's not the upper class folks who:
- do security for the ship yard
- transport the materials
- do brochures/marketing
- carpet these vessels
- design & build the engines
these are actual jobs that get outsourced when the gov't tries (& fails) to reap disproportionate taxes from this source.
Skookum said:
Hooray! He got one! Great go to school and get smart while our jobs get exported to India. Better learn frikkin Chinese while Bushy pays your tuition....
whatever it takes to motivate our fat, lazy, entitlement-minded butts.
Skookum said:
that's a perception not a reality.
perception IS reality
Skookum said:
i think i agree with pro-life for the simple fact all the dumb born-agains are starting to outnumber responsible folk out of simple breeding practices....
"dumb born-agains"? Nice. Nothing like a little civil-rights flaming to get credibility.

forgot to add to list:
  • understands the difference (& success rate) between adult stem-cell vs embryonic stem-cell research

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
$tinkle said:
no idear - let's see what madeliene albright had to say, we'll shrewdly lie in wait for those pesky WMDs to come to us
So Bush's decisiveness of non action has done wonders in this case we can agree.
$tinkle said:
]
i see him as an advisor, not a policy maker.huh?
Correct let me clarify my point. He's got a thankless task now since i believe the Bush administration is going to be sending him on tons of trips in the future asking for help that's going to fall on deaf ears. The price of Bush's so called decisiveness.
$tinkle said:
perhaps you'd like it better if they got incorporated offshore, or better yet, raise the tax even further on luxury items such that they can't be built here & you've missed out on 2 sources for taxes. It's not the upper class folks who:
- do security for the ship yard
- transport the materials
- do brochures/marketing
- carpet these vessels
- design & build the engines
these are actual jobs that get outsourced when the gov't tries (& fails) to reap disproportionate taxes from this source.
Ok then why are the jobs still leaving if this is the absolute truth?
$tinkle said:
whatever it takes to motivate our fat, lazy, entitlement-minded butts.perception IS reality"dumb born-agains"? Nice. Nothing like a little civil-rights flaming to get credibility.

[/list]
i guess we'll both have to improve our flawed general perceptions of our nation......

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Skookum said:
Poop in the shoe, i saved $200 frikkin bucks in a year from Bushy.... Big frikkin deal, tax issues are usually out of control on the state level. It's a non issue on the federal level, except knowing that rich assholes are buying a new boat at the expense of alot of programs that will enrich the american community, and not to even go into the deficit.
Dude, what are you smoking and can I have a hit?? Tax issues not out of control on the federal level?? I work over 3 months out of the year to pay my Federal Taxes and about 3 weeks out of the year to pay my State Taxes now you tell me which is out of control?

What's up with people that aren't wealthy as they want to be having some beef against rich people. They pay more taxes than you net wise, they pay more taxes then you percentage wise (which they shouldn't have to) and you still wanna cry about how the rich "assholes" get to buy a boat. Boo f&ckin' Hoo, they made their money and you don't think they should be able to spend it? The top 20% of income earners in this country already pay over 70% of our total Federal Income Taxes........you think they should pay more? I think it's pretty nice that they carry this country as much as they already do and I don't think they should be punished for being "rich."

EVERYBODY got a tax cut, so you only got $200, I got about $2000 and it did make a difference, people that make more than you and I got even more, AND RIGHTFULLY SO b/c they make more. Percentage wise their cut was still less than yours. BTW, if you don't want your tax cut and it didn't make a difference you can give it back to the FEDS, they will gladly take it........but I'm sure you won't b/c the "rich" should carry this country's tax burden, us groundlings should get a free ride. :nopity:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Zod, are you making the case that an American household with a gross income of $30,000 a year gets the same benefits from living in America that a household with a gross income of a million or more gets?

Please stop talking about economics. Using Bush's talking points doesn't make you look smart. You do realize that Federal Income tax isn't the same as payroll tax, right? The rich do not pay more as a percentage than the middle class does, when you account for all taxes (payroll, sales, fees, etc.)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
zod said:
EVERYBODY got a tax cut, so you only got $200, I got about $2000 and it did make a difference, people that make more than you and I got even more, AND RIGHTFULLY SO b/c they make more. Percentage wise their cut was still less than yours. BTW, if you don't want your tax cut and it didn't make a difference you can give it back to the FEDS, they will gladly take it........but I'm sure you won't b/c the "rich" should carry this country's tax burden, us groundlings should get a free ride. :nopity:
I'm glad you care so much about the rich they really need your support and they care about you too.

hmmm i ultimately paid $4991 last year on federal income taxes. and what did i get on my investment from the federal govt.? A recession, outsourcing, blundered misguided war, unfair work laws, flood gates on illegals coming up from Mexico wide open. I say i got jipped and want my money back, but boo hoo for me it don't work that way. Look i tell you what, there are rich people out there that help out Seattle in any administration and flourish in their business practices with innovativion and generous opportunities through job creation within the community. His name is Paul Allen and i owe having both of my mt. bikes due to him, and if he was here right now i'd kiss his big fat nerdy ass. But don't tell me making him carry more of a tax burden is going to destroy our economy is ridiculous. He created way more opportunity for Seattlelites during the Clinton administration EMP/Seahawks Stadium/Union Station/countless new construction. Than during Bush's administration Biotech.........
I hear people on the tv constantly berrating the american worker as being uneducated and lazy. Who's sending out the sob story and excuses here? Boo hoo the american worker sucks we have to go overseas to make more profit (here's some more money Mr. Bush remember us when we decide to move out of town). When is the big business and going to be held responsible for drinking pure capitilism without a chaser of American pride.

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
Skookum said:
What's wrong with having a middle class? The ONLY reason there ever was a middle class is because of unions.
i thought the middle class came from advancements in agricultural technology, which allowed for the emergence of mercantalism and artisans.

"without the wheel there would be no capitalism."

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Actually, the American worker works more hours than any other worker in a first world country. We're not quite as productive per hour, but we work more.

Goddamn lazy bums...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
fatpandas said:
i thought the middle class came from advancements in agricultural technology, which allowed for the emergence of mercantalism and artisans.

"without the wheel there would be no capitalism."
Stop exposing my lack of qualifications for making such a statement. :mad: ;)
i'm workin *on* a high school education here for fukks sake...... :p

edit *with
as you can see..... :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Silver said:
Actually, the American worker works more hours than any other worker in a first world country. We're not quite as productive per hour, but we work more.

Goddamn lazy bums...
Yah i just have to laugh at the comments of being fat and lazy, i've worked on a roof with temperatures on the average of 80 degrees 7 days a week, 10 to 12 hours a day. Did it for the money but we also did it to beat a deadline and save our company money. But man do that for a month you go home, shower, grab a bite to eat, then you wake up with your half eaten meal and your alarm so you can go out and do it again for the day.....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Silver said:
Zod, are you making the case that an American household with a gross income of $30,000 a year gets the same benefits from living in America that a household with a gross income of a million or more gets?

AWESOME DUDE!!!!!!!!. :thumb:

truly, that is the reason why the more you make the more % you gotta pay.

if you evaluate the benefits corporations, and big businesses (like 500 or more employees, not small business owner 2% wannabes), and think about the cost they are for society and the gvmt in terms, of judges, tax analysis, wars the US wages for them, litigation in foreign courts (yup, the US gvmt pays to open them markets, think the commingTLC), welfare when they pay rock bottom wages and the gvmt has to subsidize the payroll of their employees (because welfare IS a subsidy on THE EMPLOYER, not the employee working 40hrs a week), the costs on society of the tariffs that are against "free trade", and costs society money for the sake of a few non-competitive industrials and farmers not loosing markets.
and etc, etc, etc....

they cost a lot more to the gvmt, than the average joe.

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Silver said:
You do realize that Federal Income tax isn't the same as payroll tax, right? The rich do not pay more as a percentage than the middle class does, when you account for all taxes (payroll, sales, fees, etc.)
Sure they don't pay more in payroll taxes percentage wise, did I say that they did? That is unless you own your own business, which a large percentage of people over the $1 million dollar line do. Then you pay double in payroll that a non-self employed does. I have several family members that own businesses(some small, some pretty large) and make over a million a year and when it's all said and done over half of their income goes to taxes. But you don't have to make over a million to get hit like this. I have another family memeber that owns his own business and makes between 300K-500K a year, he also pays over 50% in taxes. Do we really wanna tax these people more than they already pay? They're working 6 months out of the year to pay as it is. In the mean time they are providing jobs for a fair amount of people, why do we want to drive them to a point where it isn't worth keeping their business running? And people wonder why big companies are moving over seas..........small business would follw suit if it were possible. Small business ownership is the heart and soul of the American dream for many and it does wonders for the US economy, it is how the large percentage of self-made millionaires are created. They work hard to get to that point, they started from dirt, and when they work their knuckles to the bone and succeed they shouldn't be punished. Many like to paint a picture of millionaires as undeserving scum who got some family inheritance that lounge around living off the fat of the land and for the most part that just isn't true.

Silver said:
It's not about benefits, if it were then I should get food stamps even though I make descent money, is it fair that I don't get food stamp when others do?(no I don't really think I should get food stamps) We are not an entitlement country......if you want that then move to The Netherlands. We are an equal opportunity country, of course there will always be a gap in opportunity b/c of money/environment and the government tries to lessen that gap but it will always exist to some extent. Yet when people work hard and strive and succeed should they then take on the tax burden for all simply b/c they took inititive that others did not?
My personal stance (remember it's my opinion so don't get your man panties in a whad) is that all American's EQUALLY own the responsibility of funding this country. We all live here, it belongs to each of us equally. Be it through a flat tax (with a tax free amount thrown on the front for the poverty crowd) or a national sales tax, or whatever. But I guess I just don't wanna throw the burden on the "rich man". BTW, the "rich" the Democrats like to raise taxes on is typically family's making more than 40K a year.....big money huh?

Skookum said:
hmmm i ultimately paid $4991 last year on federal income taxes. and what did i get on my investment from the federal govt.? A recession, outsourcing, blundered misguided war, unfair work laws, flood gates on illegals coming up from Mexico wide open. I say i got jipped and want my money back, but boo hoo for me it don't work that way.
You don't get to cry about it, you get to vote, that is if you're old enough?

Skookum said:
Look i tell you what, there are rich people out there that help out Seattle in any administration and flourish in their business practices with innovativion and generous opportunities through job creation within the community. His name is Paul Allen and i owe having both of my mt. bikes due to him, and if he was here right now i'd kiss his big fat nerdy ass. But don't tell me making him carry more of a tax burden is going to destroy our economy is ridiculous.
You see a lot of bike frames made in the US these days? I bet about 90% of the people on this board have a frame that was welded in Asia. Is that good for our economy?

Skookum said:
I hear people on the tv constantly berrating the american worker as being uneducated and lazy. Who's sending out the sob story and excuses here? Boo hoo the american worker sucks we have to go overseas to make more profit (here's some more money Mr. Bush remember us when we decide to move out of town). When is the big business and going to be held responsible for drinking pure capitilism without a chaser of American pride.
We're getting our asses beat by foreign manufactures, do we fix that through rediculous tariffs on imports?? I don't know, doesn't seem like that does much to truly fix the issue. It would make more sense to me to give corporations that reside in the US huge tax breaks, give foreign businesses incentative to move here, regain that tax cut through a positive influx in American workers. Here's a nice little analogy...... Say I own a wall paper store and I have a bunch of old rolls of wall paper that are taking up shelf space. I want them gone, I want to MOVE INVENTORY. How do I get rid of it? Do I raise the price on the item? No I mark it down, I make it cheap and when I do that the inventory moves, business moves. Now what is it that raising taxes it supposed to do again????

Good debate though fella's........remember that unlike a lot around here that like to get hot under the collar I just like a good debate sometimes. :thumb:
I have a lot of personal family experience with people who run their own business' in this country and people that make $1 mil+ a year so I guess that is why this is a very touchy subject for me.......otherwise I'm too lazy to type this much ;)

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Skookum said:
i've worked non union and union there is no difference except pay and benefits. i suppose your gonna tell me unions don't help F.D.N.Y. and that they are guilty of gross ineffectiveness.....
I've only worked in a non-union shop, however our sister company in Wichita is union, and I have spent sometime working there.

From what I have seen of the aircraft industry unions (the industry I work in) are doing a wonderful job of getting work sent overseas. In such a low profit margin industry and the inherit inefficiencies of that labor (in the industries I have seen) tend to be a handicap to the health of the business rather than an asset.

From what I have seen in the automotive industry, a union forklift driver get's paid $20 an hour to unload one dock and one dock only, if there are no trucks at his dock he doesn't have to do anything (and yet gets paid). This forklift driver gets a month and a half off (fully paid) in the summer for retooling for next years models (this is above and beyond the generous vacation policy). Then at the end of the year, that same forklift driver gets anywhere from a $8k to $15k bonus. This does not include the discounts on car purchases (at cost), pension, stuff like that. And we wonder why cars cost as much as they do????

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Andyman_1970 said:
I've only worked in a non-union shop, however our sister company in Wichita is union, and I have spent sometime working there.

From what I have seen of the aircraft industry unions (the industry I work in) are doing a wonderful job of getting work sent overseas. In such a low profit margin industry and the inherit inefficiencies of that labor (in the industries I have seen) tend to be a handicap to the health of the business rather than an asset.

From what I have seen in the automotive industry, a union forklift driver get's paid $20 an hour to unload one dock and one dock only, if there are no trucks at his dock he doesn't have to do anything (and yet gets paid). This forklift driver gets a month and a half off (fully paid) in the summer for retooling for next years models (this is above and beyond the generous vacation policy). Then at the end of the year, that same forklift driver gets anywhere from a $8k to $15k bonus. This does not include the discounts on car purchases (at cost), pension, stuff like that. And we wonder why cars cost as much as they do????
Andy,

I have idea if you can get the info but to convince me that it's the unions' fault I'd like to see the following:

Average union member's remuneration, total & hourly rate
Average management's remuneration, total & hourly rate
Average director's remuneration, total & hourly rate (including stock bonus)
The rate of increase of all of the above for the last 8 yearss (in % terms)

Otherwise it's just conjecture & anecdotal.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
zod said:
Small business ownership is the heart and soul of the American dream for many and it does wonders for the US economy, it is how the large percentage of self-made millionaires are created. They work hard to get to that point, they started from dirt, and when they work their knuckles to the bone and succeed they shouldn't be punished. Many like to paint a picture of millionaires as undeserving scum who got some family inheritance that lounge around living off the fat of the land and for the most part that just isn't true.
Earned or inherited? Is the USA still the land of opportunity?

Maybe they should give something back after all...

Repeat after me; 'Greed is good', yeah!

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
fluff said:
Andy,

I have idea if you can get the info but to convince me that it's the unions' fault I'd like to see the following:

Average union member's remuneration, total & hourly rate
Average management's remuneration, total & hourly rate
Average director's remuneration, total & hourly rate (including stock bonus)
The rate of increase of all of the above for the last 8 yearss (in % terms)
I would not say that unions are the only reason our company is in a mess, we freely admit to major management screw ups in the last 10 years that got us where we are today. I would argue however that our union has a direct impact on the wok we (the aircraft industry) are outsourcing.

I can't speak for the auto industry (that "anecdote" I provided was a guy I went to school with who was the forklift driver in question) but I'll see if I can gather anything here.

fluff said:
Otherwise it's just conjecture & anecdotal.
And that's different from everyone else's positions..............:rolleyes: LOL

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
zod said:
Sure they don't pay more in payroll taxes percentage wise, did I say that they did?
No, you got very indignant about the rich being taxed. I was merely pointing out that if you're going to talk about tax burdens, including the entire burden is usually a good thing to do, and it changes the picture by quite a bit.

zod said:
We are an equal opportunity country, of course there will always be a gap in opportunity b/c of money/environment and the government tries to lessen that gap but it will always exist to some extent. Yet when people work hard and strive and succeed should they then take on the tax burden for all simply b/c they took inititive that others did not?
My personal stance (remember it's my opinion so don't get your man panties in a whad) is that all American's EQUALLY own the responsibility of funding this country.
If we all should equally fund the country, then we damn well better have a direct democracy. Personally, I'm getting tired of paying for neo conservative wet dreams, and I want to be able to drink a Coke that tastes like it does in the rest of the world (bonus points if you can figure out who sugar tariffs help...)

Making a good living doesn't mean that all of a sudden you shouldn't have to pay either. A question for you: What is a reasonable amount of tax to pay for a wealthy person? Because it appears to me that as soon as the marginal tax rate rises above approximately 0%, the bitching starts about how they are getting gouged and the poor aren't pulling their weight...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Silver said:
Making a good living doesn't mean that all of a sudden you shouldn't have to pay either. A question for you: What is a reasonable amount of tax to pay for a wealthy person?
i certainly don't see this as reasonable, even if legal. (i think she's one of yours):
TV commentator and author Arianna Huffington, who launched her campaign for California governor with criticism of "fat cats" who fail to shoulder a fair share of taxes, paid no individual state income tax and just $771 in federal taxes during the last two years, her tax returns show.

Huffington, who released her tax returns for the last two years to the Los Angeles Times, lives in an 8,000-square-foot home valued at about $7 million.

But the returns show that at least for the last two years, her income far outweighed reported losses by Christabella Inc., the private corporation she owns and uses to manage her writing and lecturing business.
Silver said:
Because it appears to me that as soon as the marginal tax rate rises above approximately 0%, the bitching starts about how they are getting gouged and the poor aren't pulling their weight...
that's mostly due to getting gouged & the poor not pulling their weight.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Silver said:
Personally, I'm getting tired of paying for neo conservative wet dreams, and I want to be able to drink a Coke that tastes like it does in the rest of the world (bonus points if you can figure out who sugar tariffs help...)
Or even a Snapple! I think the Corn Syrup industry is a conspiracy to make all americans fat and have weird fluctuating levels of sugar constantly in their system.

http://www.ussugar.com/pressroom/press kits/sugar trade/sugar_policy.pdf

Not only are we the 4th largest producer of Sugar, we're the largest producer of Corn and Beet derived Sugars (ugh, add on those pounds) and we're the largest importer of this product!!!

ewie

And to answer your question:
http://www.freetrade.org/pubs/briefs/tbp-013es.html
Nowhere is there a larger gap between the U.S. government’s free-trade rhetoric and its protectionist practices than in the sugar program. Through preferential loan agreements and tariff-rate quotas, the U.S. government thwarts price competition to maintain an artificially high domestic price for sugar--a price that can be twice the world market price or higher.

The program benefits a small number of sugar producers, but virtually every governmental and non-governmental survey concludes that the program results in a net loss of welfare for the U.S. economy, with U.S. consumers suffering the most. Direct costs to consumers due to higher prices could be as much as $1.9 billion a year and the net welfare loss to the U.S. economy nearly $1 billion. Moreover, the U.S. government spends close to $1.68 billion a year buying and storing excess sugar to maintain those artificially high domestic prices.

U.S. sugar consumers would not be the only winners if U.S. price supports and quotas were removed. Poor nations would benefit as well. Freeing just the U.S. market would boost global demand and raise world prices by 17 percent, increasing the annual export earnings of developing nations by $1.5 billion.

America’s sugar quotas pose a threat to multilateral and regional trade negotiations. U.S. trading partners routinely and rightly point to quotas as being inconsistent with U.S. demands for more open markets abroad. The sugar program has become an obstacle to lowering foreign trade barriers to U.S. exports.

The U.S. sugar program is a classic case of concentrated benefits and dispersed costs: a very small number of sugar growers receive enormous benefits, while the costs of providing those benefits are spread across the U.S. economy, specifically to consumers and confectioners. Repealing the sugar quota program will require more vigorous leadership from the president and the many members of Congress who represent far more people who suffer from the U.S. sugar program than who benefit.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
$tinkle said:
How would you recommend the "poor" start pulling their weight? And do you have any clear parameters that make a person "poor"? (Just so we're all on the same page).

I would argue that yes, our welfare system needs revisions in order to make it more effective, and to help those who are truly needy versus those who are mooching off of it...however, then there's the "working class poor", the individuals who live in the lower income brackets for their state, are in-debt as a result of trying to get ahead, can't pay their debts off because they don't make enough, and thus end up getting more in-debt and locking themselves into the forever working class poor.
:nopity:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
actually, i need to retract.

there are no poor in this country, just lazy.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Silver said:
If we all should equally fund the country, then we damn well better have a direct democracy. Personally, I'm getting tired of paying for neo conservative wet dreams, and I want to be able to drink a Coke that tastes like it does in the rest of the world (bonus points if you can figure out who sugar tariffs help...)

WORD!. the gvmt does not equally benefit everybody.

there is a cost for that protection for big capitals. that has to be funded by the big capitals themselves.

and well, i read a lot about unions, or taxes and their fault in outsourcing.
BS!

tax rates in the US, even as they are were, are extremely competetive. and cost-effective compared to the benefits and safety for capitals you get in the US there is hardly any better.

I US companies oursource, its not because there are better tax rates overseas, its because US labor is goddamn expensive. and unions do very little for that. because its not like a 20 ot 15% difference in wages.
its not unusual tenfold. so its beyond economic reasoning to keep manufacturing in the US, if you can get it done for 1/10 of the labor cost. and unions or no unions, that is not gonna make any difference.

that is the biggest single reason why shirts are made in asia, and software is now being coded in india.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
$tinkle said:
first of all the poor don't have any strength to pull. You could tax them at 100% and it wouldn't make a dent in the defecit. The government has no choice but to leverage the wealthy if it hopes to have an operating budget.

second, all this crap about corporations and small businesses being double taxed is a load of crap. Their workers are feeling that double tax just as much, because if it didn't exist it would translate to income. Most (intelligent businesses) consider ALL costs of employing a worker (overhead, health, AND taxes) when pricing contract work. "I know someone who owns a business and complains a lot" is not a good argument against the tax system.

third, yes the rich (theoretically) have to pay a greater portion of their income. They (we?) NEED all those people at lower income levels for our businesses to work. We rely on them as much as they rely on us. It's a game of push and pull. If you think it's should be different, have a look around the world. Someone else has your preferred tax system. Why don't you move there? I'll tell you why. Because it sucks. The US system actually works because it's not made up by a bunch of whiney "self-made-men" sitting around wishing they had more money.

last, corporate tax breaks would lead to an influx of money to the american worker which would lead to higher tax revenues despite lower rates? nice perpetual motion machine. draw out a cash flow diagram and fill in the numbers... if your theory still holds let me know. We'll be RICH!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
$tinkle said:
i disagree with the premise of a "swing voter". If (as you say) the uninformed are voting for kerry (read: against bush), then what's there to swing?
I don't know what you're trying to say, but I have a feeling you misunderstood me (I DID use too many pronouns). I didn't say the uninformed are voting for Kerry. I said many uninformed are voting for Kerry. Many are also voting for Bush (in near equal proportions). Not exactly a profound insight.

My point (which was missed) is that swing voters are generally informed or trying to inform themselves... so if someone does a good job of painting one group as "uninformed," it's a good way to capture swing voters who don't want to be associated with an uninformed group. Very effective. But based purely on spin.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Jr_Bullit said:
How would you recommend the "poor" start pulling their weight? And do you have any clear parameters that make a person "poor"?
this guy is as good example for others to start pushing their weight.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
$tinkle said:
this guy is as good example for others to start pushing their weight.
That's great. Since that seems to be the critieria you need for evidence, I hereby submit George W Bush and his brother Neil, along with the Hilton sisters, as reasons for a 100% inheritance tax on the rich.

It's time those lazy, stealing, drug using jerks start earning their wealth (and I haven't even gotten to the Hilton sisters yet...)

Edit: And if they even mention that they are rugged self made men, their own wealth is immediately taxed at 200% upon their death so that we don't have to listen to their offspring tell us the same tired sh!t...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Skookum said:
N8 it's getting really old you putting up pictures like this. Everyone knows that windsurf is the correct choice.... :rolleyes:
I thought it was read a book with children - it worked for Bush :confused:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Silver said:
It's time those lazy, stealing, drug using jerks start earning their wealth (and I haven't even gotten to the Hilton sisters yet...)
Did you hear about the missing dog story with Paris. She "lost" her dog and made a missing dog campaign/reward/etc... Her maid called her eventually and told her she left the dog with her :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Andyman_1970 said:
I would not say that unions are the only reason our company is in a mess, we freely admit to major management screw ups in the last 10 years that got us where we are today. I would argue however that our union has a direct impact on the wok we (the aircraft industry) are outsourcing.
Unions go on a contract that is negotiated. Our Union actually put a price freeze on our labor cost (no raise) for the next three years to enable our Union Shops to remain competive. The difference is in the union you get to negotiate as a whole. Alot of other construction trades did get a raise... If things go well in the next 3 years our shops will benefit (we won't in terms of pay) but it's our intention to work and keep busy. I'm not going to defend unions abroad and i'm not even going to mention professional sports, sickening. But we signed the contract we agree with and move on, if either party didn't want to sign then they have no one to blame but theirselves.
Unions are established to protect the worker from dangerous work conditions, and to establish a fair level of pay. That's it and all, if there are conditions in a contract that enable a worker to pick his nose and get paid well then the companies shouldnt have signed the dotted line.
I know there's plenty of non union workers on this forum right now getting paid to surf the monkey. You better believe when i'm at work it's not me..... Although that would be awesome....