Quantcast

Why so serious, forum?

Apr 23, 2011
Northeast
Yay first post! This is my first post on ridemonkey but I've been reading a lot.
I just get to wondering why is everything so bike focused here?
Every single post is a "this bike or that bike"
Does nobody ever wonder about their technique, riding spots, or other stuff?
Maybe even a forum game once in a while.
Idk if I've just been on the internet too much, but seems like this forum needs to chill out a little.
I have a few bike questions I've been wondering about, but it seems like you guys have enough of those.
So hows it going, forum?

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Most people participating in most every single MTB forum on the InterWebToobz will be talking about "upgrades" or "what bike to buy" or "which color anodizing should I get for my matching bar and stem".

It's a sad thing, really. People seem to not know that technique improvements will do much more for riding enjoyment than upgrades or bling.

It makes me think most participants never ride, but instead just take pictures of their bike for posting on the InterWebToobz.

I think it's all about status display and trying to one-up others by showing you have a cooler bike, or better bling array, or nicer color-matching.

I don't know what any of that has to do with riding bikes, personally. I buy a bike to ride it, not to be proud of its pictures.

Anyway, it's going great for me personally but I do wonder about the forums around the InterWebToobz... they seem to lack meaningful content.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2011
Northeast
Ah I guess that's what I was afraid of this forum being.
It'd be nicer if we got some videos of riding, action shots maybe?
If you're gonna be bragging about biking, brag about your riding, not your ride.
I ride a $330 GT Outpost I bought in 08, which is in a terrible state, not some $2000 piece of carbon.

Seems like a lot of people think buying a new bike is the easy way out of learning to ride.

I'm a NEMBA member, and I really like what they do with their magazine, make it funny and useful for improving your skills and variety.

So now a technique question: how do you take a really sharp turn coming downhill without it being banked or braking too much?

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
Ah I guess that's what I was afraid of this forum being.
It'd be nicer if we got some videos of riding, action shots maybe?
If you're gonna be bragging about biking, brag about your riding, not your ride.
I ride a $330 GT Outpost I bought in 08, which is in a terrible state, not some $2000 piece of carbon.

Seems like a lot of people think buying a new bike is the easy way out of learning to ride.

I'm a NEMBA member, and I really like what they do with their magazine, make it funny and useful for improving your skills and variety.

So now a technique question: how do you take a really sharp turn coming downhill without it being banked or braking too much?
riding videos you say?!?!?!? check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/insanitylevel99
for riding shots check out the ride reports section theres a lot of pics there.