Quantcast

Why the latest "terrorist plot" reaction was a gross over reaction

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/17/flying_toilet_terror_labs/

Ya basically, making TATP in a bathroom lavatory is akin to a situation comedy. ie: entirely Impossible.

But remember, inconveniencing a few million people globally allowed GW to say "We got 'em!"

Ya, like I said the other day, the entire ordeal was a huge government overreaction, with policies being governed by what politicians saw in the latest blockbuster movie.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I've read some even more shady sh1t than that.

As Britain’s outspoken Ambassador to the Central Asian Republic of Uzbekistan, Craig Murray helped expose vicious human rights abuses by the US-funded regime of Islam Karimov. He is now a prominent critic of Western policy in the region:

August 14, 2006
The UK Terror plot: what’s really going on?

I have been reading very carefully through all the Sunday newspapers to try and analyse the truth from all the scores of pages claiming to detail the so-called bomb plot. Unlike the great herd of so-called security experts doing the media analysis, I have the advantage of having had the very highest security clearances myself, having done a huge amount of professional intelligence analysis, and having been inside the spin machine.

So this, I believe, is the true story.

None of the alleged terrorists had made a bomb. None had bought a plane ticket. Many did not even have passports, which given the efficiency of the UK Passport Agency would mean they couldn’t be a plane bomber for quite some time.

In the absence of bombs and airline tickets, and in many cases passports, it could be pretty difficult to convince a jury beyond reasonable doubt that individuals intended to go through with suicide bombings, whatever rash stuff they may have bragged in internet chat rooms.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Although that is pretty funny, false passports and last minute tickets would still be a possibility.

The fact that their chosen "explosive" is pretty much impossible to create without a decent amount of time, some fairly special materials and some pretty controllable conditions...i'd say them blowing anything up but themselves was highly unlikely.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I bet I could make a bomb in a small confined space with just a flint and piece of steel if I washed down some broccoli and bean burritos with a protein shake or two before a flight.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Westy said:
I bet I could make a bomb in a small confined space with just a flint and piece of steel if I washed down some broccoli and bean burritos with a protein shake or two before a flight.

Congratulations buddy........ You just made the no fly list. :mumble: :nopity:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Sounds like they need Macgyver......or Westy.....actually probably the same guy. Notice they've never been seen together.:clue:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DaveW said:
Congratulations buddy........ You just made the no fly list. :mumble: :nopity:
You really don't know how much I would love that.

Boss: We need you to fly to LA for a week then head to Tokyo for a 14 hour presentation before going to Milwaulkee to work the weekend.
Me: Sorry, no can do.

If I made the list because of fart jokes I would be my own hero.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5271998.stm

Eleven of the 23 arrested have been charged.

Mr Clarke said: "I would like to reassure the public that we are doing everything we can to keep you safe so that you can live your lives without being in constant fear.

"The threat from terrorism is real. It is here, it is deadly and it is enduring.

"As we all look for explanations, we cannot afford to be complacent and ignore the reality of what we face".

"However the investigation is far from complete. The scale is immense, inquiries will span the globe.

"The enormity of the alleged plot will be matched only by our determination to follow every lead and line of inquiry."
Mr Clark said:"Stay scared you worms! FEAR!!!!"
:rolleyes: His actual speech sounds just like the script of V.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
All about TATP:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/17/flying_toilet_terror_labs/

Be sure to read both pages. Selected cuts:

Once the plane is over the ocean, very discreetly bring all of your gear into the toilet. You might need to make several trips to avoid drawing attention. Once your kit is in place, put a beaker containing the peroxide / acetone mixture into the ice water bath (Champagne bucket), and start adding the acid, drop by drop, while stirring constantly. Watch the reaction temperature carefully. The mixture will heat, and if it gets too hot, you'll end up with a weak explosive. In fact, if it gets really hot, you'll get a premature explosion possibly sufficient to kill you, but probably no one else.

After a few hours - assuming, by some miracle, that the fumes haven't overcome you or alerted passengers or the flight crew to your activities - you'll have a quantity of TATP with which to carry out your mission. Now all you need to do is dry it for an hour or two.
http://www.workingforchange.com/article.cfm?itemid=21261

There have been credible reports that British authorities, unconcerned about any imminent threat, wanted to wait and let the plot unfold, so as to gather more information and evidence regarding the people involved, but that Washington pushed hard for early arrests. Gee, I wonder why? A November election that is likely to turn on Republican mismanagement of the so-called "Global War On Terror" wouldn't have anything to do with the timing of arrests and the unprecedented (and helpfully color-coded) security alert, would it?