Quantcast

Why we are so effed up

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Blah blah, yeah, there are some good points, but in aviation and nautical areas it's very convenient to use nautical miles, because 1 degree of latitude=60nm, 1 degree at 60nm=1nm. Maps have degrees on them and you can always figure out distance based on how far apart the degrees are. Running calculations in-flight quickly is kind of easy because of this, not to mention that some other rules of thumb are pretty interrelated with it.

Yes, some imperial stuff is just bat-****-crazy, like a "pound", but some actually exists for good reason. Km and degrees doesn't really work.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
We can't do science worth shit. can't do math. the metric system is beyond 90% of the populace.

No wonder so many folks follow the words of child molesters on the pulpit and believe FOX news . We are a nation of uneducated Sots that is getting left in the dust

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
We can't do science worth shit. can't do math. the metric system is beyond 90% of the populace.

No wonder so many folks follow the words of child molesters on the pulpit and believe FOX news . We are a nation of uneducated Sots that is getting left in the dust
I don't disagree, but I think the ridiculous imperial measurement system has little to do with that.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
I disagree. the initial teaching of an archaic counting and measurement system severely hinders the ability of most of our population to convert over and function in the base 10 world required to operate in the higher sciences. Lose the Imperial and teach metric from day one so that it is second nature and you remove a major hurdle to higher learning. Of course I realize that the political parties benefit from the stupidity of the masses

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

blame your fucking teachers union then.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
it was Reagans fault and his cohort of Elephants

The General Conference on Weights and Measures is the governing body for the modern metric system and comprises the signing nations of the Treaty of the Metre. The General Conference on Weights and Measures approved an updated version of the metric system in 1960 named Le Système international d'unités (International System of Units) and abbreviated SI.

On February 10, 1964, the National Bureau of Standards (former name of National Institute of Standards and Technology) issued a statement that it will use the metric system except where this would have an obvious detrimental effect.[7]

Metrication in the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth nations, particularly Canada, in the following decade increased the need for metrication in the United States.[citation needed]

U.S. metrication logo
In 1968, Congress authorized the U.S. Metric Study, a three-year study of systems of measurement in the U.S., with emphasis on the feasibility of metrication. The United States Department of Commerce conducted the study. A 45-member advisory panel consulted and took testimony from hundreds of consumers, business organizations, labor groups, manufacturers, and state and local officials. The final report of the study concluded that the U.S. would eventually join the rest of the world in the use of the metric system of measurement.[8]The study found that metric units were already implemented in many areas and that its use was increasing. The majority of study participants believed that conversion to the metric system was in the best interests of the U.S., particularly in view of the importance of foreign trade and the increasing influence of technology in the U.S.

This measuring cup, manufactured and sold in the U.S. circa 1980 at the height of the metrication effort, features graduations in both metric and U. S. customary units, with the metric graduations in front for right-handed users.
The U.S. Metric Study recommended that the United States implement a carefully planned transition to the principal use of the metric system over a decade. Congress passed the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 "to coordinate and plan the increasing use of the metric system in the United States". Voluntary conversion was initiated, and the United States Metric Board (USMB) was established for planning, coordination, and public education. The public education component led to public awareness of the metric system, but the public response included resistance, apathy, and sometimes ridicule.[9] In 1981, the USMB reported to Congress that it lacked the clear Congressional mandate necessary to bring about national conversion. Because of this ineffectiveness and an effort of the Reaganadministration — particularly from Lyn Nofziger's efforts[10] as a White House advisor to the Reagan administration, to reduce federal spending — the USMB was disbanded in the autumn of 1982.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
have you written your president about this eric?

your senator?

your congressman?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Eric has a point. Empirical measurement is archaic and not based on any thing relative to the people using it.

However I think this a better example of why we're so fucked up:

American Hero Eats At Olive Garden 95 Times In 6 Weeks

In September Olive Garden unleashed the $100 limited edition Never Ending Pasta Pass, which guaranteed purchasers seven weeks of unlimited pasta, bread and soda.

The passes sold out within 2 hours. And when Alan Martin was one of the lucky 1,000 people to score one, he decided to put it to good use.

Martin has managed to eat two meals a day for 6 weeks -- that comes out to 95 meals so far -- at his local Olive Garden in Burlington, North Carolina.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'd count the ways you guys seem so butt hurt about metrics, but I don't think you'd understand anything past the ninth one......
:D
the funny thing is that every person eric has voted for hasn't given a shit about it...that's all.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Any respectable and reasonably well engineered industry in the united states is using the metric system. About the only thing I see that is still imperial is plumbing and pipe fittings.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i have only ever worked in imperial measurements. Even in Canada. not sure why that is. But every company I've ever worked at has operated in inches and pounds.
leave it the states to drag canada down into the suckitude that eric worries about.....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ugh. The airplanes use hexadecimal in trouble shooting codes. I don't understand that shit at all. :confused:
They have hexadecimal addresses too. It's a shorter way to write a longer number, not that I really care, I just use the airplane's hex identifier.