Quantcast

Why Won't Bush See Her?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
H8R said:
Can you imagine every pissed off mother of a dead soldier getting the chance to talk to him? He'd get his head torn off.

(that'd be sweet!)
Yeah. Having to deal personally with the results of his actions rather than a number on a balance sheet, that might shake things up. It's easy to disregard casualties when they are numbers, it's a lot harder when they have faces, and when they are your friends ... it can just about push you over the edge.

bushwacker

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
Norcal :/
Well ,she talked to him last year, and was happy about it.
If this is actually true:

----------------------------------------------------
PROTESTING SOLDIER MOM CHANGED STORY ON BUSH
Mon Aug 08 2005 10:11:07 ET

The mother of a fallen U.S. soldier who is holding a roadside peace vigil near President Bush's ranch -- has dramatically changed her account about what happened when she met the commander-in-chief last summer!

Cindy Sheehan, 48, of Vacaville, Calif., who last year praised Bush for bringing her family the "gift of happiness," took to the nation's TV outlets this weekend to declare how Bush "killed an indispensable part of our family and humanity."

CINDY 2004

THE REPORTER of Vacaville, CA published an account of Cindy Sheehan's visit with the president at Fort Lewis near Seattle on June 24, 2004:

"'I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis,' Cindy said after their meeting. 'I know he's sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he's a man of faith.'

"The meeting didn't last long, but in their time with Bush, Cindy spoke about Casey and asked the president to make her son's sacrifice count for something. They also spoke of their faith.

"The trip had one benefit that none of the Sheehans expected.

"For a moment, life returned to the way it was before Casey died. They laughed, joked and bickered playfully as they briefly toured Seattle.

For the first time in 11 weeks, they felt whole again.

"'That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together,' Cindy said."

CINDY 2005

Sheehan's current comments are a striking departure.

She vowed on Sunday to continue her protest until she can personally ask Bush: "Why did you kill my son?"

In an interview on CNN, she claimed Bush "acted like it was party" when she met him last year.

"It was -- you know, there was a lot of things said. We wanted to use the time for him to know that he killed an indispensable part of our family and humanity. And we wanted him to look at the pictures of Casey.

"He wouldn't look at the pictures of Casey. He didn't even know Casey's name. He came in the room and the very first thing he said is, 'So who are we honoring here?' He didn't even know Casey's name. He didn't want to hear it. He didn't want to hear anything about Casey. He wouldn't even call him 'him' or 'he.' He called him 'your loved one.'

Every time we tried to talk about Casey and how much we missed him, he would change the subject. And he acted like it was a party.

BLITZER: Like a party? I mean...

SHEEHAN: Yes, he came in very jovial, and like we should be happy that he, our son, died for his misguided policies. He didn't even pretend like somebody...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
man! that sucks! i can't believe bush made her son join the military!

....oh wait, he VOLUNTEERED. get over it lady.

regardless of your take on the war, every person in the military signs their own contract and fully understands what may happen. perhaps it was her fault for not telling her son that he may have to fight in an unpopular war and die. Honor the kid, but not by whining about his death.
somebody please put a "kick me" sign on her back.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
come on, how long have you been on the monkey? Everyone knows that the people in the military were just oppressed into it for the scholarships... ;)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
kidwoo said:
Does someone get to say that to your wife and kid(s) when you die in the line of duty?
Depends.

Is his wife complaining to the chief of police about his death? If so, she may need to suck it up.

Was the chief indirectly at fault?

Is the chief ALWAYS on vacation at times like this?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
clancy98 said:
see, told ya manzi, not his fault. :p

In the military there is a axiom. "You can delegate authority, not responsibility"

You are responsible for and to everyone under your command. You can grant them the Authority to do something, but you are always responsible for what is done. When you are Commander in Chief, you are responsible for everyone in the military, and everything they did.

No, GW didn't shot this guy. Yes, he is responsible for his death. He gave the orders, he commands the Military.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
H8R said:
Depends.

Is his wife complaining to the chief of police about his death? If so, she may need to suck it up.

Was the chief indirectly at fault?

Is the chief ALWAYS on vacation at times like this?
All very valid points of course. But telling a grieving spouse to suck it up just sounds so........I don't know......bushy with the camera turned off.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
kidwoo said:
All very valid points of course. But telling a grieving spouse to suck it up just sounds so........I don't know......bushy with the camera turned off.
So even if he is right, it is his tone that is offensive.....

So other than aggreeing with him....just ask him to say it "nicer."

Bush didn't shoot him....so asking him why he killed her son is irresponsible. She is agnry at the wrong man/woman. Sadly she has reason to be angry. :(

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
RhinofromWA Bush didn't shoot him....so asking him why he killed her son is irresponsible.[/QUOTE said:
Bush sent the kid to war for no fuqqing reason! Why can't he tell his mother/the country the truth?

WMD? No.
Because Saddam played a part in 9/11? No.
To install democracy? No.

Don't be a dumbass!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
RhinofromWA said:
So even if he is right, it is his tone that is offensive.....

So other than aggreeing with him....just ask him to say it "nicer."

Bush didn't shoot him....so asking him why he killed her son is irresponsible. She is agnry at the wrong man/woman. Sadly she has reason to be angry. :(
Tone mostly but I also agree with anyone who makes the case that our great leader™ is misusing our military. I think it's great that we're hearing about recruitment problems, concurrently cutting benefits for veterans and sending nat guard personnel who get nowhere near the benefits of the regular military. I'm down with H8Rs comment because he raises some valid points about our great monkey™ and his responsibilty to those who are dying right now due to his war profiteering BS. So although the woman's tone changes pretty dramatically between interviews, she has a right to hold bush responsible........since his reasons are questionable and wars lose lives, not just property/money/stock value etc. Yeah he signed up but his commander in chief failed him in his widows view. I happen to think she's right.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
stinkyboy said:
Bush sent the kid to war for no fuqqing reason! Why can't he tell his mother/the country the truth?

WMD? No.
Because Saddam played a part in 9/11? No.
To install democracy? No.

Don't be a dumbass!
Well if that isn't the pot calling the kettle......:rolleyes:

Bush still didn't kill the soldier. I can sense your anger but your(also the mothers) accusation is CRAP. I could just as well blame you it would have as much to do with it.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
kidwoo said:
Tone mostly but I also agree with anyone who makes the case that our great leader™ is misusing our military. I think it's great that we're hearing about recruitment problems, concurrently cutting benefits for veterans and sending nat guard personnel who get nowhere near the benefits of the regular military. I'm down with H8Rs comment because he raises some valid points about our great monkey™ and his responsibilty to those who are dying right now due to his war profiteering BS. So although the woman's tone changes pretty dramatically between interviews, she has a right to hold bush responsible........since his reasons are questionable and wars lose lives, not just property/money/stock value etc. Yeah he signed up but his commander in chief failed him in his widows view. I happen to think she's right.
Your views on the war and personal feelings slant your acceptance of how Pres Bush is attacked(verbally)

Even though he is not responsible.....it is OK because of other reasons. Using an erroneous poster child as a mother and her fallen soldier son is OK as it hits who you want to where it hurts even if it is false.

How about blaming the combatant who fired the shot? Apperantly he gets a full pardone. :confused: Good to see we are so objective.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
RhinofromWA said:
Even though he is not responsible.....
Explain.

I know the mom is being an idiot, she won't see him. Ever.

She knew what her son was getting into. You can't join the Army and expect not to die.

Still - how is Bush NOT responsible for putting her son in an idiotic war? She has a right to be angry, because her son died for a lie.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Several layers of lies, indeed.

I agree that this woman is being dumb with her little campaign, but it's her right to do it if she wants.

It is indisputably George Bush's responsibility that her son is dead at the end of the day, though. This war was unneccassary, based on a personal agenda, and persued with insufficient planning and negligence. If it was not for GW there would have been no war.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
lets try an analogy:

say we're putting a DH race and it's a freshly cut course that no one has ridden yet. i've spent all my life dreaming about joining this DH cult and train daily for a race. Now, this race is different. The race promoter tells all the contestants that it is a no-practice course, meaning: no one will see the course before the race. He tells us that the course has a few dangerous spots that could lead to serious injury and only those who REALLY WANT TO DO IT and SIGN A CONTRACT/WAIVER will be allowed to race.
I go and dicuss this particular decision with my wife/family and we decide that it's really what I WANT TO DO and i UNDERSTAND THE RISK.

So here comes my race run......smooth sailing for a while, then a nasty rock garden. Then, just after a fast sweeper is a huge gap jump. I miss a pedal stroke and don't get the speed required to clear it. I case hard, go OTB and break my collarbone.

now....should my wife/family go and protest the promoter of the race because i busted my collarbone.....even after he told me it was a dangerous course?

(i know, kind of a weird analogy but it serves a purpose)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Your analogy fails because DH racing is a leisure activity. However I understand where you are coming from, that the army is dangerous and everyone should be well aware of the risk of dying as a soldier. I agree. However, as has been pointed out, GW is Commander-In-Chief, he is ultimatly responsible for the deployment and command of the US Military. He sent the troops to an unneccassary, counterproductive war. As such the American and Iraqi deaths were avoidable and responsibility has to fall on the shoulders of the instigator of the war. The armed forces are not a toy, as I'm sure you'd agree.

I can see how you can logically you can rubbish this woman's claims if you agree the war was justified and necassary. In that case it is the duty of the soldier to fight and maybe die protecting the interests of his country.

That's what it comes down to in the end:

Do you believe the American instigated invasion of Iraq was justified and neccassary, or do you believe Bush took us all to war based on lies and a personal agenda?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
manimal said:
lets try an analogy:

say we're putting a DH race and it's a freshly cut course that no one has ridden yet. i've spent all my life dreaming about joining this DH cult and train daily for a race. Now, this race is different. The race promoter tells all the contestants that it is a no-practice course, meaning: no one will see the course before the race. He tells us that the course has a few dangerous spots that could lead to serious injury and only those who REALLY WANT TO DO IT and SIGN A CONTRACT/WAIVER will be allowed to race.
I go and dicuss this particular decision with my wife/family and we decide that it's really what I WANT TO DO and i UNDERSTAND THE RISK.

So here comes my race run......smooth sailing for a while, then a nasty rock garden. Then, just after a fast sweeper is a huge gap jump. I miss a pedal stroke and don't get the speed required to clear it. I case hard, go OTB and break my collarbone.

now....should my wife/family go and protest the promoter of the race because i busted my collarbone.....even after he told me it was a dangerous course?

The anaolgy doesn't work....

Try this.

You join a DH team. Your wife and you know the assumed risk of racing on this team.

Your team leader has the team race on a VERY irresponsible course.

HUGE 50' drops and boulders, barb wire instead of course tape, strewn w/ booby traps and other teams get to throw things at you as you go by.

You have to race the course way more times than thought too. The team won't supply enough body armor for everyone, and you have to salvage parts for your bike.

Win or lose, you will get very little for your efforts, but the team captain and his buddies will get a huge chunk of the purse no matter if your team wins or not.

You end up breaking your neck after a zealous opponent throws a pump in your spokes.

Now - should your wife be pissed at the team captain?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
manimal said:
lets try an analogy:

Which is why the army shows realistic recruiting commericials of what life in the military is like, right?

(All the ones I've seen show no violence, no shooting, no death, no wounds, no bull**** from idiot commanders, no boredom...nothing but fun and some golf occasionally. Oh, and if you're a sniper you may have to go hungry for the chance to shoot a raghead in the face.)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
RhinofromWA said:
Your views on the war and personal feelings slant your acceptance of how Pres Bush is attacked(verbally)

Even though he is not responsible.....it is OK because of other reasons. Using an erroneous poster child as a mother and her fallen soldier son is OK as it hits who you want to where it hurts even if it is false.
Incidently I hold the shooter and the monkey in equally high regards.......worthy of the same respect I grant to the dogsh!t I scrape off of my shoes.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I'll say this again, as a military veteran.

Fact.

"You can delegate authority, not responsibility" This is a basic principle of the military command structure. It's why a General can be demoted because a pfc abused a prisoner. Ask ex-General Karpinski.

Fact.

George Bush is responsible. No Ifs, ands, or buts. He campaigned for the job, he got the job, he sent the troops to battle, he was in charge.

Opinion:

Why won't GW see her?, here's some speculation:

It serves no political purpose. There will be no cheerful photo op, with a nice sound bite for the evening news. It will be not be pretty. A crying mother screaming "you killed my son you bastard!", makeup and news cameras running.

Another reason, As Commander in Chief he probably feels he needs a element of detachment. It's a lot harder sending people to die when you know them. If you stop to think about the cost it makes you hesitate, and to your enemies it may make you look weak. If you lead a military at some point you have to put the mission ahead of the individual.

Some less flattering possible reasons: Guilt. It's hard to sleep at night when you see the faces of people who died. Denial, Maybe he doesn't believe he's responsible, even though he's the Commander in Chief.

Editorial:

On paper, on a macro level democracy in Iraq sounds like a good idea, but the devil is in the details. People die, Iraqi and American. In Physics every action results in an equal and opposite reaction, in politics the same is generally true. By invading Iraq, we've created a reaction, more terrorists, more resentment in the middle east, less trust. Will it be worth it 20 years from now? We'll find out.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
RhinofromWA said:
How about blaming the combatant who fired the shot? Apperantly he gets a full pardone. :confused: Good to see we are so objective.

The thread isn't about the mother trying to see an insurgent in Iraq. Yes, whoever shot or blew him up is responsible. So is the President who lied to congress, forged intelligence reports, and as Commander in Chief sent her son to Iraq. Otherwise her son never would have been there.

In the simplist terms, a moment in time is a combination of and the result of the moments before it. The mother is responsible for not giving her son more options in life, the son is responsible for signing up, the President who invaded Iraq is responsible, as is the Congress who gave him authorization. The insurgent that killed him is responsible. We the people even bear some responsibility for letting ourselves get sold down the river into this war.

Picking one person to blame doesn't absolve everyone else. We are all responsible.

This thread is about why Bush won't see a woman who's son he commanded to invade another country and was killed in the process.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
valve bouncer said:
I love how the frother response to this is "suck it up you whiny bitch". Such compassion.
Hey, if he wanted compassion from this president, God should have made him a stem cell, not an actual human being...

I heard a new Republican slogan was going to be: "Life: Once it makes out of a vagina, we don't give a ****." You can almost picture N8 jerking off to that, can't you?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Silver said:
Hey, if he wanted compassion from this president, God should have made him a stem cell, not an actual human being...

I heard a new Republican slogan was going to be: "Life: Once it makes out of a vagina, we don't give a ****."
Tee hee. Love the fetus, hate the child, it's the republican way.

You selling t-shirts?

Jun 4, 2005
On the dunny
manimal said:
lets try an analogy:

Ahahahahaa!

Sorry mate, I know you were trying to be serious and you gave it a good crack. But seriously that was just hilarious!!!

How some one can compare an hypothetical illogical DH race to an invasion who's premise changes to suit the current situation is completely beyond me. There's so much more to this than "He joined up, it's his problem". The issue is should soldiers die for something that IS NOT in the national interest?

BTW, I ride DH and am a soldier.

I know this woman is being a little irrational (she's a mum who lost a child, give her a bit of a break eh?) but the question still remains, should soldiers be used for means/ends that may be considered unethical and that DEFINATELY has no clearly defined reason.

I just LOOOOOVE the new one. al Zawahiri says it's a central battle ground, Bush says "See! See! I told is was part of the war on terror!".

Dead set hilarious! I can't blame the woman for asking questions, I'll give her that much. She should centre her questions on WHAT her son died for, not why he did. I'm not sure if anyone knows the ACTUAL reason for the war YET!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Reactor said:
This thread is about why Bush won't see a woman who's son he commanded to invade another country and was killed in the process.
Then if that is what its about, then that has an easy answer.

He doesn't have to. Its not in the job description nor should it be. The fact that she got to meet with him once already is more than the vast majority of the parents of the others killed already in Iraq and Afghanistan. Did Reagan meet with all the parents of dead from Grenada, Bush Sr. from Panama or the Gulf part one, Clinton from Somalia? Or the hundreds of soliders that have died all over the place in training accidents, terrorists attacks and all the others that end up dead lord knows where doing lord knows what. In each case the answer is no. On the most basic level it simply isn't practical.

She probably got a bag full of letters from everyone from his direct commander all the way thru his chain of command including the president. She got her flag and her little "On behalf of a greatful nation....." just like the others.

The FACT of the matter is that regardless of her motivation (which is questionable in my opinion) there is NOTHING that he or anyone can say that is going to adequately explain why her son is dead. NOTHING. And in her case where she obviously had an axe to grind with Bush prior to her son getting killed, what's the point?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Changleen can you bust out your adult parent child thing again?

I so loved that thread.

I think it would apply in many different ways right now.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.thereporter.com/republished

Here is the reprint of the article from last year. I'm going to cut and paste the whole thing because of the link. It doesn't look permanent.

I added the bold. Which seems in conflict with what she is saying about that meeting now.

Bush, Sheehans share moments
By David Henson/Staff Writer

Since learning in April that their son, Army Spc. Casey Sheehan, had been killed in Iraq, life has been everything but normal for the Sheehan family of Vacaville.
Casey's parents, Cindy and Patrick, as well as their three children, have attended event after event honoring the soldier both locally and abroad, received countless letters of support and fielded questions from reporters across the country.

"That's the way our whole lives have been since April 4," Patrick said. "It's been surreal."

But none of that prepared the family for the message left on their answering machine last week, inviting them to have a face-to-face meeting with President George W. Bush at Fort Lewis near Seattle.

Surreal soon seemed like an understatement, as the Sheehans - one of 17 families who met Thursday with Bush - were whisked in a matter of days to the Army post and given the VIP treatment from the military. But as their meeting with the president approached, the family was faced with a dilemma as to what to say when faced with Casey's commander-in-chief.

"We haven't been happy with the way the war has been handled," Cindy said. "The president has changed his reasons for being over there every time a reason is proven false or an objective reached."

The 10 minutes of face time with the president could have given the family a chance to vent their frustrations or ask Bush some of the difficult questions they have been asking themselves, such as whether Casey's sacrifice would make the world a safer place.

But in the end, the family decided against such talk, deferring to how they believed Casey would have wanted them to act. In addition, Pat noted that Bush wasn't stumping for votes or trying to gain a political edge for the upcoming election.

"We have a lot of respect for the office of the president, and I have a new respect for him because he was sincere and he didn't have to take the time to meet with us," Pat said.

Sincerity was something Cindy had hoped to find in the meeting. Shortly after Casey died, Bush sent the family a form letter expressing his condolences, and Cindy said she felt it was an impersonal gesture.

"I now know he's sincere about wanting freedom for the Iraqis," Cindy said after their meeting. "I know he's sorry and feels some pain for our loss. And I know he's a man of faith."

The meeting didn't last long, but in their time with Bush, Cindy spoke about Casey and asked the president to make her son's sacrifice count for something. They also spoke of their faith.

While meeting with Bush, as well as Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, was an honor, it was almost a tangent benefit of the trip. The Sheehans said they enjoyed meeting the other families of fallen soldiers, sharing stories, contact information, grief and support.

For some, grief was still visceral and raw, while for others it had melted into the background of their lives, the pain as common as breathing. Cindy said she saw her reflection in the troubled eyes of each.

"It's hard to lose a son," she said. "But we (all) lost a son in the Iraqi war."

The trip had one benefit that none of the Sheehans expected.

For a moment, life returned to the way it was before Casey died. They laughed, joked and bickered playfully as they briefly toured Seattle.

For the first time in 11 weeks, they felt whole again.

"That was the gift the president gave us, the gift of happiness, of being together," Cindy said.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Reactor recieves 1 Stinky point for finally showing some brains.

4999 more and you can redeem for the inflatable kayak or the poker table & chips set.

Good job!