Quantcast

why won't iTunes let me import certain mp3s?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Was making an attempt at importing some new mp3s into my iTunes library last night, and for some reason it won't let me import one specific album. I tried re-naming the songs, changing the artist info, re-locating the songs on my hard drive, and re-starting my computer, but to no avail. I've tried both dragging the songs into iTunes, as well as the official "File => Import => Select Song" method. Twice iTunes has responded and given me the "Importing Songs" status window, but the songs don't show up in my library afterwards. What am I doing wrong?

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
I have had a few that did the same thing. I had to burn them to CD using Nero (or whatever you have) and then put them into iTunes that way. Hope this helps.

fed tom

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
leeds
do they come up in recently added with a different or no name? sometimes mine needs me to name it whilst in there, regardless of tags or not.

-Devil-

Chimp
Jun 27, 2008
West Monroe, LA
what message does it give when you are trying to add it? ... i know some mp3's that were downloaded from certain sources .. (or from an itunes account that does not match the one you have currently) ... itunes will not allow them to be added to the database for 'copywrite' reasons ...

only other thing i could think of .. is if they are actually a different format then mp3 .. and it is one of the few that itunes does not recognize ...

but like another said .. if you can burn it on a cd and then import it from there, all should go well ...

Lowlight7

Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Virginia, USA
iTunes doesn't give "error messages". It just doesn't copy the files.

I've opened a trouble ticket with Apple before on this issue. The initial answer was "buuuhhh????".

The second answer I got involved the possibility of a bitrate or sampling frequency that was outside the parameters of iTunes, or DRM, or a conflict with XP x64, or swamp gas, or...

Burn it to CD and rip it back in.