Quantcast

Why you wear a helmet!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
What a tool :rolleyes:

That reminds me of when I see riders out with pads and gloves but no helmet :confused: Dude, I'd much rather skin my hand then have to be fed though a tube the rest of my life.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
You're probably right - he's no Evan Mutari! That guy would've gapped the stair set and pulled a suicide no-hander...all w/ a smile.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
heck i wear i helmet and crashed at SST on saterday and still got a cuncussion. so i will still wear one but sometimes you can still hurt yerself although if i werent wearing it it would have been a lot worse for sure.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
cove rider said:
although if i werent wearing it it would have been a lot worse for sure.
Your brains would still be on the ground out there! :D I hit my head super hard at PA and rang my bell good. If I wasn't wearing my helmet I would have cracked my head open for sure. I bruised the top of my head through my helmet...ouch.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Snacks said:
What a tool :rolleyes:

That reminds me of when I see riders out with pads and gloves but no helmet :confused: Dude, I'd much rather skin my hand then have to be fed though a tube the rest of my life.
that video was freakin funny. :D

I wear gloves not as much to protect my hands but to keep them on the grip.
my hands, in warm weather, sweat so bad I can't hold on.

when I was 15 or so, my parents left me at home for a week during the summer. I rode into town to ride bikes with my friends and we decided to bunnyhop from this one parking lot into another. there was a curb on top of the first one and one in the second that you had to hop. the distance and height wasn't too bad. maybe three feet high and four feet or so long with a slight downhill runway.
it was summer and my hands were sweating really bad. when I went to pull up on my bars to hop the curb, my hands came off. my front tire bounced off the first curb then my rear tire hit it and that pushed my front end down directly into the second curb in the lower parking lot. I never got my hands up. I did the scorpion face slide across the parking lot.

I removed all the skin from my face, the backs of my hands and some from inside my ear. the first thing I thought when I stopped sliding was, "aw crap, my bike!"
this crash was at a fire dept. so I went inside to try to remove the blood and see how bad my face was. the fire guys poked their heads out of the office and asked if I needed any help. Figured they would have been all over me but they didn't even really move from their seats as I made a blood trail to the bathroom and back outside.

that's why I wear gloves.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
pnj said:
that video was freakin funny. :D

I wear gloves not as much to protect my hands but to keep them on the grip.
my hands, in warm weather, sweat so bad I can't hold on.

when I was 15 or so, my parents left me at home for a week during the summer. I rode into town to ride bikes with my friends and we decided to bunnyhop from this one parking lot into another. there was a curb on top of the first one and one in the second that you had to hop. the distance and height wasn't too bad. maybe three feet high and four feet or so long with a slight downhill runway.
it was summer and my hands were sweating really bad. when I went to pull up on my bars to hop the curb, my hands came off. my front tire bounced off the first curb then my rear tire hit it and that pushed my front end down directly into the second curb in the lower parking lot. I never got my hands up. I did the scorpion face slide across the parking lot.

I removed all the skin from my face, the backs of my hands and some from inside my ear. the first thing I thought when I stopped sliding was, "aw crap, my bike!"
this crash was at a fire dept. so I went inside to try to remove the blood and see how bad my face was. the fire guys poked their heads out of the office and asked if I needed any help. Figured they would have been all over me but they didn't even really move from their seats as I made a blood trail to the bathroom and back outside.

that's why I wear gloves.
OUCHY!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This video was posted before in the DH forum. I wrote this previously:

I watched that video twice. At first I was busting out laughing, but when I looked at it closer, I wonder if this person was drunk or mentally challenged.

He is riding a piece of crap down a 30 foot embankment with a runout into a staircase and he is not wearing even a helmet, obviously.

What got me thinking was how he was clutching the brakes for dear life. While I have become addicted to stupid bike videos, it is hard to believe this person had any sense, much less common sense, before rolling off the edge.

You might convince someone to head down a 10 foot drop, but 3 times that height is like convincing the same person to drop off the roof of a 30 foot building.

Anyway, sorry about the soapbox. Maybe this is just another case of Darwin...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
sanjuro said:
when I looked at it closer, I wonder if this person was drunk
that was the first thought that crossed my mind before he even hit the ground.

we tend to forget, because most of us spend a lot of time on our bikes and ride with others who do the same, that not everyone that swings their legs over the seat of a bike knows what they are doing.

all he needed to do was ride the brakes down the hill and he wouldn't have been going so fast. was it the transition from dusty dirt to cement (or maybe a small lip between the two) that caused him to crash? (asides from lack of simple skills...)

extreme2

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
dumb a$$. My helmet saved my a$$ once. I did get knocked out and when I came to, my right side of my face, shoulder ,arm and hand was numb. Feeling came back pretty quick so I got back on my bike and finished the ride. The helmet was wasted, but it saved my life.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
You know that dude was hurting. It's sad that at some point, someone would have at least talked the dude into wearing a helmet. It looks like he has some good friends!

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Ouch. Looked like the digger I took out at SST a few weeks back, minus the concrete and stair rail of course. I was fully geared up and still got the crap beat out of me.

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
HenryTheHammer said:
Ouch. Looked like the digger I took out at SST a few weeks back, minus the concrete and stair rail of course. I was fully geared up and still got the crap beat out of me.
i gave myself a cuncussion last weekend at SST

lucky13

Chimp
Jun 3, 2005
Seattle, WA
I hear hand surgery is almost as expensive as brain surgery....

Man that kid on the "big boys" site had mad skillz like in those videozzzz.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I would post a pic of my helmet
crushed it on dirt merchant on the second table after the step up next to the rock drop onto rutabaga.

that jump is ****ty
and there was a rock in the middle, on opening day.
ANd iwas on a HT
etc...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
A lack of helmet was the least of this guys problems. Didn't anyone notice that if he hadn't crashed he would have hit at least two people who were in his path. I know anytime I do stair gaps, I'm more concerned about my friends doing a good job of spotting for me, than I am about making the gap.
Falling and hurting yourself is bad. Running over innocent pedestrians is far worse.
Tim

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
TWISTED said:
I know anytime I do stair gaps, I'm more concerned about my friends doing a good job of spotting for me, than I am about making the gap.
Falling and hurting yourself is bad. Running over innocent pedestrians is far worse.
Tim
Amen.

I don't do alot of uber stuff when it comes to urban, but I take pride in being a grade-A spotter.:cool: