Quantcast

Why?

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by SuzyCreamcheese
Actually 42 is the answer to a different question. The one that the mice built the computer for.

The Cheese
Life, the Universe and Everything......."why" would be covered under "Everything".....I think 42 is the answer. I like cheese.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why?

Well, the other day, though it seems like millenia now, we got to chatting about how neat it would be to do something like this. We had a few drinks and started sketching out a plan on a cocktail napkin. Yes, yes, if this was so long ago, how could we be sketching it on a cocktail napkin?! Stop thinking to linearly.

In fact, that's pretty much how the whole problem began.

Our plan was so perfect that we never saw it coming. One thing lead to another and version one was a total disaster. Ha! The next 40 trials were also failures in their own unique and fascinating ways. That one time were I got turned inside, wow, that was no fun... but interesting nonetheless.

Success? Yeah, attempt 42... funny how it always seems to be the 42nd try, huh?

So, there ya go.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Why?

That's simple.

Its the same reason that my dad torched a cat when he was 7 and the same reason Im going to cover my naked body in the juice from a can of processed chicken tonight. Because that's the way it was meant to be. If these things hadnt happened at their precise times in history, in exactly the way they were planned, nothing would have worked out exactly to its present state. If i hadnt fed my hamster to the ferret when i was 9, maybe my ferret would have lived another 6 months, and id never have gotten very into my bike. Then where would i be? Where would you all be without me?

Originally posted by BurlySurly
...Then where would i be? Where would you all be without me?
You would be in Secaucus or Hohokus dating a very fat hermaphroditic accountant with a severe case of acne.

We would be (and are) in heaven, having been transported there by the goods moog and oomph for thinking good thoughts and masturbating ceaselessly.

Any other questions?

J

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
there's no such thing as forty-two in binary, but there is in hexadecimal.

42 in binary, btw, is 101010. 42 in hexadecimal base is 66 in decimal and 1000010 in binary.

hope that answers yo question. some funny math with all the factors of 42 and came up with 49.... don't think that MARVIN saw it coming

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by slein
there's no such thing as forty-two in binary
huh?

42 in binary, btw, is 101010. 42 in hexadecimal base is 66 in decimal and 1000010 in binary.
umm, huh?

hope that answers yo question. some funny math with all the factors of 42 and came up with 49....
umm, yeah, huh?

When they pulled out the scrabble pieces, it was 6x9... 54. Not 49.

don't think that MARVIN saw it coming
umm, whoa yeah...

I don't think Marvin could calculate the THC levels in your bloodstream.

I'm not mad, just a bit jealous :D

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
binary only has ones and zeroes... so no fours or twos.... hence "forty-two" in binary becomes one-zero-one-zero-one-zero or however it is stated.

umm, huh?

just trying to point out, i guess, that people assume the forty-two is in decimal.... maybe the :monkey: 's in the story were using hexadecimal or another number system instead of decimal. anyway, that's what i've always wondered.

umm, yeah, huh?

When they pulled out the scrabble pieces, it was 6x9... 54. Not 49.

ummm... yeah, well, what i did was took all the factors of 42 (1 2 3 6 7 14 21 42), multiplied each consective pair together (2 18 98 882), multiplied pairs again (36 86436), took the square root of each (6 294), divided the latter by the former and got (49).

umm, whoa yeah...

I don't think Marvin could calculate the THC levels in your bloodstream.

I'm not mad, just a bit jealous :D [/B][/QUOTE]:monkey:

yup, and i'm gettin ready for a fill up, cuz there's too much blood in my THC system

:D :cool: :devil:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
yeah, i know various base systems... i'm back in school for computer science engineering.

I simply didn't follow where you were going with all that. Like I didn't know what you meant by "there's no such thing as forty-two in binary", but sort of follow you about whether they were talking about 42 in base 10 or another system.

It has to be base 10 for no other reason than Adams presented the story in a comsumable fashion for the average human -- who doesn't know anything but base 10.

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
Originally posted by LordOpie
It has to be base 10 for no other reason than Adams presented the story in a comsumable fashion for the average human -- who doesn't know anything but base 10.
maybe that's why we're still looking for the question.......