Quantcast

Wife needs an XC seat...HELP!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
My wife is trying to get back into pedaling, and has requested a new saddle for her bike, an older Haro XC scoot. Anyone got a good reccomendation for a girls specific seat?
Thanks...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
My wife is trying to get back into pedaling, and has requested a new saddle for her bike, an older Haro XC scoot. Anyone got a good reccomendation for a girls specific seat?
Thanks...
i don't use a women's specific seat on and of my mtn bikes. just the wtb saddle... but on my trainer i have a terry liberator. it's super cozy (i just hate how wide it is in the back for trail riding).

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
When I first started riding, I demanded a nice big cushy, gelly seat--can't remember the name...but then quickly realized that the stock seat was better. Nothing special, it was actually a mens seat...but much narrower for getting back on the steeper stuff. After a few rides of pain, the 'area' adapts pretty quick.

If she wants a new seat, I would look for a womens specific, narrow seat like the Titec Hellcat

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Not all gals need woman specific. I subscribe to the theory of finding a saddle that fits your seat bones. I love my specialized Avatar Gel, (it's not a wide saddle at all) and it comes in different widths.

gg

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Not all gals need woman specific. I subscribe to the theory of finding a saddle that fits your seat bones. I love my specialized Avatar Gel, (it's not a wide saddle at all) and it comes in different widths.

gg
agreed.

i found the saddle i like by just borrowing a bunch from friends and trying them out. wtb laser v is the perfect saddle for me. might be the most uncomfortable seat for someone else

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If she rides a bit, then a less padded saddle is probably better. If she doesn't ride much, she would probably prefer a more paddle saddle, not like a balloon seat but some casual like this:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I have wide hips, so I like a saddle that's slightly wider. I've used the Specialized Dolce and I really like it. I've recently started using a Terry Butterfly, which has less padding.

I actually have an extra Specialized Dolce (similar to what Sanjuro posted) that I used on a couple of rides, but I opted for the Terry instead. I don't need it anymore. PM me if you're interested.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I changed over to a WTB Speed She in 2004 and am still loving it. Ti rails make it nice and light and it's comfy. I have a WTB Yeti seat (I think it's the same as either a rocket V or a Laser V) on my DH bike and it's pretty comfy too and easy to get behind.

Seats are really a matter of personal preference so she should probably try out as many as she can to make an informed decision.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
I recommend trying the SDG BEL-AIR RL - All-Terrain Saddle - CrMo Rails/ Ti Rails

DESCRIPTION: The Bel-Air line of saddles is known for its all-around comfort and functionality. For nearly a decade, the Bel-Air has been SDG's most popular saddle. New comfort enhancements and an updated profile makes the latest generation Bel-Air RL more comfortable than ever. (273mm x 140mm)

FEATURES:
Injection molded tail and nose bumper for increased durability.
Multiple color and material options available.
WEIGHT: 325g / 260g