Quantcast

Will an XT derailleur work with a road crankset?

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
ok, i am planning on slowly upgrading my fuji road bike.
so far this is what i have come up with:
BTW i am too cheap for road parts
Mavic rims on 105 hubs
Kenda tires 700 x 23
LX cassette 11-32
LX rear derailleur
XTR/Dura-Ace Chain
Deore Shifters

later i plan on upgrading with:
Ultegra Double crankset
Front Shifter: Please Suggest
Already have a front derailleur
New BB to fit crankset

In the Far future:
Carbon Fiber Fork
Aheadset
new stem for new fork

thanks

let me know if anythings not compatible.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Here some questions to get a better ideal on what we are dealing with.

Can your frame handle the upgrades? ex: rear hub spacing and cable routing, and shifter boss mounts on the down tube.
How many speeds will the bike be? (sounds like 18 or 27)
Is the front derailleur you have a bottom pull, bottom swing one or is it a road derailleur?
What model cranks are you going to use?
What are the chainring sizes?
Are you going to use a flat bar instead of drops?

To save cash I would go with a 105 level chain, the xtr/da seems overkill. Stick with Tiagra to 105 parts, they aren't the lightest but they work well. Your cassette seems a bit large for a road bike. If you have problems going up hills get a 12-15 or 12-27.

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Thank you for reminding me to check hub width.

decided not to go deore, want to go 105, Tiagra, or Ultegra.

Those shifters are really expensive, will deore shifters work with an ultegra/105 derailleur?

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Front der will work on the road crank, however a mountain front der WILL NOT WORK with sti levers...don't ask me why cause i don't know but i know that they do not work.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by Motionboy2
Front der will work on the road crank, however a mountain front der WILL NOT WORK with sti levers...don't ask me why cause i don't know but i know that they do not work.
Mountain front derailleurs do work on STI road shifters (a lot of cyclocrossers do it) but there is one major problem... bottom swing mtn derailleurs are limited to, I think, a 48t chainring size and top swing, i think, 44t. Most stock road chainrings are 52t to 53t so there is the compatablity issue. Thats why I asked about the front derailleur you have and what chainring size you were going to run. Also, if you still plan to run a mtn FD will have to play around with limit screws so you don't over shift and or drop your chain on you BB shell. Just like the Cannondale and Ritchey 2x9 systems.

Cheers

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by pat873401

Those shifters are really expensive, will deore shifters work with an ultegra/105 derailleur?
The deore shifters will work with road parts, but then you'll have to run a flat bar instead of road drops. Search ebay and look for a used 105 9 speed groupo. It's good stuff and is a race worthy groupo.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Originally posted by Carbon Fetish

Mountain front derailleurs do work on STI road shifters (a lot of cyclocrossers do it) but there is one major problem... bottom swing mtn derailleurs are limited to, I think, a 48t chainring size and top swing, i think, 44t. Most stock road chainrings are 52t to 53t so there is the compatablity issue. Thats why I asked about the front derailleur you have and what chainring size you were going to run. Also, if you still plan to run a mtn FD will have to play around with limit screws so you don't over shift and or drop your chain on you BB shell. Just like the Cannondale and Ritchey 2x9 systems.

Cheers
Are you sure? have yet to see a Cyclocross bike with a mtn ft der. All the ones that i have seen with top pull cable routing have a pully so that you can run a road ft der. You may be right it is just i have heard over and over the complaint that you can not dial a mtn ft der with a sti lever.

j

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.

You need to decide whether you want drop or flat bars. The STI shifters you're looking are expensive, I agree, but they work with drop bars and are your shifters AND brake levers.

Just a thought. I think the STI shifters are the way to go.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
nevermind!

found Dura-Ace Down tube shifters for $40. They'll fit on a regular dt shifter mount right?
They should fit, with out any problems. However, you will have to get "aero" road brake levers if you don't already have them on you bike. I've never been a fan of downtube shifters and find them a pain to work with.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Originally posted by Motionboy2

Are you sure? have yet to see a Cyclocross bike with a mtn ft der. All the ones that i have seen with top pull cable routing have a pully so that you can run a road ft der. You may be right it is just i have heard over and over the complaint that you can not dial a mtn ft der with a sti lever.

j
Motion,
My on my old cx bike I ran STI road shifters with xt derailleurs without any problems (the cables ran along the downtube). I used 46x36 chainrings and adjusted my limit screws so I didn't run into any issues with the shift cage.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I tried an LX front derailleur with 105 sti and a mountain triple on my cross bike. Did not work. The throw is off. I returned the LX and got a 105 triple front and it worked well. Don't know how a double would work with Sti and LX.