Quantcast

Willamette pass course

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
It WAS pretty fun. BUT... at the first race they said they would have a new course for the second race. I hear good things about the proposed course though.
I hear it gets pretty dusty/silty down there.
Good thing is lots 'o practice on Saturday (10-8). Bad thing is the gondola's hold three bikes/people and they are spaced REAL far apart so I hear the lines can get pretty long.
When we went down there were ~60 people so it wasn't too bad.
$.02
66 said:
What is the Willamette pass course like? worth the trip?

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
trailhacker said:
It WAS pretty fun. BUT... at the first race they said they would have a new course for the second race. I hear good things about the proposed course though.
I hear it gets pretty dusty/silty down there.
Good thing is lots 'o practice on Saturday (10-8). Bad thing is the gondola's hold three bikes/people and they are spaced REAL far apart so I hear the lines can get pretty long.
When we went down there were ~60 people so it wasn't too bad.
$.02
Been to two races there now without any real bad (more than 10 minutes) waits at the bottom.

hucked2bend

Monkey
May 24, 2005
Bend, Oregon
66 said:
What is the Willamette pass course like? worth the trip?
Worth the trip for sure! I rode there Sunday, tried the new Expert course, was pretty fun (I raced the old course a couple weeks ago) As Jeenyus mentioned, lift lines are never that bad on race day, any other day & there are no lines. The fastest times on the (old) Expert course are in the high 3 minute to 4 minute times, basically it comes down to staying off the brakes, as there is little to no pedalling on the courses, so no advantage there :cool:

BTW, $14.00 a day for a pass is a bargain!!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If I don't get down there this weekend, I will make a trip for sure in a few weeks.

Is it true that it's not as rocky as Cannonball? I can handle dust and dirt, the rocks are a bitch though.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
jimmydean said:
If I don't get down there this weekend, I will make a trip for sure in a few weeks.

Is it true that it's not as rocky as Cannonball? I can handle dust and dirt, the rocks are a bitch though.
I rode part of the expert course last year and from what I remember it was pretty rocky. The other courses weren't though. Braking bumps are the worst part IMO. They get really bad later in the season. I am planning on heading down this weekend and campin out. I would say it is worth the trip for Portland people, not any farther, though.

Are they gonna have a new sport course? Or is it only a new exp course?

randy23

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
Oakridge, Oregon
We are running the normal expert course NOT the new one because the course is in pretty good shape (late snow melt and rain showers have kept things in better shape this year)

I would say it is worth the drive even from Seattle since there are so few races in Wash this year...we had 5 Seattle racers last race.

Please let me know if you have any questions

raggy23@yahoo.com

Randy Dreiling
Willamette Pass promoter

Thanks

elRey

Turbo Monkey
randy23 said:
We are running the normal expert course NOT the new one because the course is in pretty good shape (late snow melt and rain showers have kept things in better shape this year)

I would say it is worth the drive even from Seattle since there are so few races in Wash this year...we had 5 Seattle racers last race.

Please let me know if you have any questions

raggy23@yahoo.com

Randy Dreiling
Willamette Pass promoter

Thanks
Does this mean that there is considerably less dust on all the courses, than last years second race? Because if it does, that is a very good thing.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
I really liked the sport couse we ran the first race this season. I would say 85% of it was single track, which is awesome:)

It's great because it has a nice mix if everything on the course....a few drops, ladders (which scare the pee outta me), a few steep shots and some high speed sections.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I liked it! My only problem was they changed the sport course around lunch and I had done my practice runs before that. I didn't know it had changed until I saw the first guy head into the trees.

I had a blast and will hope to make the trip for the next one. There was only 60 racers, so 2 runs for sport rules! I didn't wait at all on any ride up either.