Quantcast

Williamson: How Bush is beating terrorism

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
How Bush is beating terrorism
Chicago Sun-Times | July 25 2004 | RICHARD S. WILLIAMSON

Is America safer today than we were four years ago? Yes, absolutely!

Throughout the 1990s the terrorist threat grew, Americans were attacked and Americans were killed. The terrorists threw down a gauntlet and America said, ''Excuse me, you dropped your glove.''

Four years ago, in Afghanistan, al-Qaida was training and sending out thousands of terrorists. Pakistan had a significant al-Qaida presence. Saudi Arabia was a major area of support for al-Qaida. In Iraq, Saddam Hussein, a brutal dictator and sworn enemy of America, was in power. Nuclear weapons technology was being sold to Iran, North Korea and Libya.

In 1993, terrorists bombed the World Trade Center. In 1996, they bombed Americans in the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia. U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were destroyed in 1998. And in 2000, the USS Cole was attacked by al-Qaida. Americans were attacked, and many were killed.

The U.S. response to these terrorist attacks was measured and proportional. The terrorists had relative impunity. The danger continued to grow. Then came the terrible destruction of the 9/11 attacks. Innocent people were targeted on American soil. More than 3,000 were killed.

President Bush led the nation in mourning the loss of life to those evil terrorist attacks. Then he set out to make America more secure.

Bush recognized past U.S. policy had been too reactive. Giving terrorists some of what they want and hoping they will stop being terrorists had not been a game plan for victory. It looked more like appeasement. The storm continued to gather.

Bush changed the policy he had inherited. He set a course to seek out, confront and destroy Islamic fanatic terrorists where they lived, not wait until they attack us where we live.

The lesson of 9/11 is clear: If you do not go to bad neighborhoods, they will come visit you.

Today, in Afghanistan, the terror camps are closed, and Osama bin Laden is on the run. President Pervez Musharraf has become an ally of America in the fight on global terrorism, and Pakistani forces are rounding up terrorists on their border.

In the Middle East, Saudi Arabia is now working closely with the United States to root out al-Qaida. In Iraq, our coalition removed a declared enemy of the United States. Saddam, who sought weapons of mass destruction and used chemical weapons against his foes, foreign and domestic, is in jail.

Today a popular, sovereign Iraqi government recognized by the U.N. and NATO is expanding its own security capabilities. NATO is helping to train and equip the Iraqis.

America has led the U.N. to create a global regime to cut off terrorist funding.

And progress has been made to stop nuclear proliferation. Libya has given up its nuclear ambitions. A.Q. Kahn's black-market network to sell nuclear technology is being dismantled. The United States led the creation of multilateral talks to get North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons programs. The United States is working within the U.N. and with our European allies to get Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions.

And freedom and democracy are on the march in Afghanistan and the Middle East.

Under Bush, America has acted and we have led. The forces of terror and tyranny have suffered defeat after defeat. America and the world are safer.

Richard S. Williamson is the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights in Geneva.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
N8 said:

Throughout the 1990s the terrorist threat grew, Americans were attacked and Americans were killed. The terrorists threw down a gauntlet and America said, ''Excuse me, you dropped your glove.''
i stopped reading there. I mean, his nonchalant approach to 9/11 tells me that the article has zero substance and won't even be dumb enough for a decent laugh.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Saddam, who sought weapons of mass destruction and used chemical weapons against his foes, foreign and domestic, is in jail.
I wonder if he means the weapons America gave to him to use against Iran?

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
N8 said:
Under Bush, America has acted and we have led. The forces of terror and tyranny have suffered defeat after defeat. America and the world are safer.
So N8... when are you taking a vacation in the middle east? After all god, er Bush has made everything safe for all people...

Please make it soon...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
I'm confused. Didn't the State dept revise their figures earlier this year after they initially said that terrorist attacks had gone down, then they said actually they had gone up?

I wish they'd make up their minds, those wacky State Dept employees.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
fluff said:
I'm confused. Didn't the State dept revise their figures earlier this year after they initially said that terrorist attacks had gone down, then they said actually they had gone up?

I wish they'd make up their minds, those wacky State Dept employees.
They were just able to re-classify attacks as acts of war since we've invaded Iraq... the magic of semantics!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
wow you know he could just pay them off like he does everyone else. seems to be tried and true i mean did become president right?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The lesson of 9/11 is clear: If you do not go to bad neighborhoods, they will come visit you.
SOOOOO NOT the lesson!

The fundamental thing the hawks and people like this fail to address is WHY this 'terrorist storm' was brewing for so long. Well, maybe I can help you out here.
Years of American foreign policy designed to capitalise on their economic might, starting wars, repression and division of smaller competing economies, supression of economic and political development of 'unfriendly' regimes, general interference in other people's business, failing to help when problems suprising arise as a result of said actions, or saying you'll help and then actually just manouvering a better position for yourself and fvcking everyone over again, and application of outrageous and obvious double standards again and again and again, often contributing in a fairly direct way to the deaths of thousands or hundreds of thousands of innocents through poverty, disease and war.

Combine that with a President who thinks the way to sort out a lot of people who hate you is to start two wars with them, one in ENTIRELY the wrong place (and once again apparantly for selfish objectives after all - not to actually help things along), brand millions of people 'Terrorists' and become even more aggresive than ever - I'm suprised there's only been one 9/11.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Gah, this article is just so full of crap - I can't help myself!

N8 said:

Except as has already been pointed out, it isn't.
Throughout the 1990s the terrorist threat grew, Americans were attacked and Americans were killed.
Americans also attacked and killed a lot of people in a lot of different countries, gave weapons to other s to do it for them and finaced a lot of people who would, with very little digging, be called 'Terrorists'.
The terrorists threw down a gauntlet and America said, ''Excuse me, you dropped your glove.''
Twat.
Four years ago, in Afghanistan, al-Qaida was training and sending out thousands of terrorists.
Thousands? Really? Huh... Maybe he doesn't know how to use a decimal place.
Pakistan had a significant al-Qaida presence. Saudi Arabia was a major area of support for al-Qaida. In Iraq, Saddam Hussein, a brutal dictator and sworn enemy of America, was in power. Nuclear weapons technology was being sold to Iran, North Korea and Libya...
...some of it by America. Also, who swore Saddam as an Enemy? Him or Us? I think he was quite a good friend of you guys up until the moment he invaded Kuwait. The US certainly sold him arms up to that point, bought his oil and turned a blind eye to his use of Chemical weapons...
In 1993, terrorists bombed the World Trade Center. In 1996, they bombed Americans in the Khobar Towers in Saudi Arabia. U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were destroyed in 1998. And in 2000, the USS Cole was attacked by al-Qaida. Americans were attacked, and many were killed.
All by 'Terrorists' - covers a lot of people with a lot of different motivations, that word. America continued to launch cruise missiles at various targets and normally managed to miss and kill some civilians. Isn't that called "terrorism"?
The U.S. response to these terrorist attacks was measured and proportional. The terrorists had relative impunity. The danger continued to grow. Then came the terrible destruction of the 9/11 attacks. Innocent people were targeted on American soil. More than 3,000 were killed.
Actually, I thought it was 2749, but it's a good job this guy knows what he's talking about. He might be talking crap in the rest of the article otherwise.
President Bush led the nation in mourning the loss of life to those evil terrorist attacks. Then he set out to make America more secure.
I thought he sat looking stupid and listened to 'My Pet Goat' - Oh well. 'Then he set out to make America more secure.' And he did SUCH a good job! Sent 11,000 troops to Afghanistan (there are more police in Manhattan) and 145000 to Iraq! An excellent response if I do say so myself. Targeting the problem precisly. By the way, there are now as many troops who have been killed or wounded in Iraq as the entire number sent to Afghanistan.
Bush recognized past U.S. policy had been too reactive. Giving terrorists some of what they want and hoping they will stop being terrorists had not been a game plan for victory. It looked more like appeasement. The storm continued to gather.
'Some of what they want'? What does that mean? Selling tham even more weapons? Ahhh... of course!
Bush changed the policy he had inherited. He set a course to seek out, confront and destroy Islamic fanatic terrorists where they lived, not wait until they attack us where we live.
OOOPPPS! WRONG COUNTRY FVCKTARD!
See my post above..
Today, in Afghanistan, the terror camps are closed,
Not all of them.
and Osama bin Laden is on the run.
Is he? Is that why he keeps sending out messages to the media with impugnity, Al-Queada has perpitrated more attacks than ever, and we have no fvcking clue where he is? That's 'On the Run'?
President Pervez Musharraf has become an ally of America in the fight on global terrorism, and Pakistani forces are rounding up terrorists on their border.
Or we'll stop giving you money. Yes I know the people are against you, but here's some more money. Now shut up and arrest some people with rags on their heads and funny names.
In the Middle East, Saudi Arabia is now working closely with the United States to root out al-Qaida.
And the Bush family continues to profit from Saudi business interests, to the tune of 1.8 billion. Oh, and actually the rulling house of Saud are actually just using the situation to clamp down on people who don't like their undemacratic, totalitarian rule, just the sort of people GW professes to want to help.
In Iraq, our coalition removed a declared enemy of the United States. Saddam, who sought weapons of mass destruction and used chemical weapons against his foes, foreign and domestic, is in jail.
I'm not even gonna get started on that...
Today a popular, sovereign Iraqi government
HAHAHAHAHAHA! Popular! Thats why there are so many bombings! Oh, he means popular in the White house...Sovereign, headed by an ex-CIA agent and supported by the US Army, and with members vetod by the US. Sovereign indeed!
recognized by the U.N. and NATO is expanding its own security capabilities. NATO is helping to train and equip the Iraqis.
Yup, lots of the police we trained have now quit to train other insurgents and 'help the Iraqi people'.
America has led the U.N. to create a global regime to cut off terrorist funding.
Except to terrorists we like to fund, like Sharron, who gets more money than ever. More than was spent in Afghanistan. Nice.
And progress has been made to stop nuclear proliferation. Libya has given up its nuclear ambitions. A.Q. Kahn's black-market network to sell nuclear technology is being dismantled. The United States led the creation of multilateral talks to get North Korea to abandon its nuclear weapons programs.
then it got too hotheaded and brought the talks to the point of failure at which point China saved the day and got the Koreans talking again. Now the US has very little involvement except for making the odd irrational and badly timed insult.
The United States is working within the U.N. and with our European allies to get Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions.
Ditto - replace China with the EU in this case though.
And freedom and democracy are on the march in Afghanistan and the Middle East.
Marching right outta there! WTF? How can you possibly justify that comment?
You are full of ****.

Man, it's people writting **** like that that is the problem in the US - Actually it's the people who publish it and present it as 'fact'. If people actually informed themselves they could never stand for this sort of bul**** being spat at them.

How do you make America inform itself?