Quantcast

Wilson Shuttle Sunday.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey, gonna be bringing a group of people out from my school to do Wilson this sunday 2/12. Dont know how many yet or what time, but any monkeys that are interested let me know and I'll see if we can get the shuttle situation nailed down. We've got plenty of cars, but none of them are real bike haulers so we'll see how it works out. none of these guys are DH bomber nazi types either so it should be pretty leisurely as far as shuttle runs go.

Perhaps

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Hollywood, CA
I was hoping to go to Mammoth this weekend but I can't find a place to stay so... I might join you for a ride on sunday... I'll try to let you know asap wether I can go or not. I got a small car with a pretty ****ty bike rack so I'm not much good for hauling bikes up the hill either :\

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
crap. we may be full up with people in our cars. if you drove yourself up there, we can probably give you a lift back to your vehicle, but i dont think we have room for any more bikes on the way up.

also, anybody know if the red box road is even open? i have this strange memory of seing a "closed after november" sort sign up there, but we haven't had much snow this season.

Perhaps

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Hollywood, CA
That might work, how's the road on the way up? I don't wanna destroy my car :) Also I've never shuttled before how would it work? Would I put my bike on my rack and drive up then drive back down and have someone bring me back up? Or would I leave my car at the top and have someone bring me back to get it after each run? I guess it's pretty much the same thing eh.

-Gavin

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
well wilson is like a 2.5 + hour downhill run..more like really agressive trail riding thats mostly down hill.. it comes out to 12+ miles with a only 2 miles or so of hike a bike or pedalling. its about a 30 min drive to the top. leave your car there, ride down and hitch a ride to get your car type deal. with all the driving and riding, look to spend about 4-5 hours.

BadRelig1on

Chimp
Feb 8, 2006
Riverside, CA 92503
Willson is probably the funnest place i've ever been, me and my buddys used to ride it every weekend. You should ride when the fog is super thick it makes the ride way more intense.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Wilson is a lot of fun. The singletrack is awsome. Most any mountain bike would be fine. The climbing isn't bad...then there are long downhills.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
mtnbrider said:
Also, be very carefull on the cliffs. Don't go next to each other on the cliffs. I have seen....(photos soon)
Oh crap, that's right... you have photos! Dude, post em up.

Yeah, be careful on the cliffs. :p
BadRelig1on said:
Willson is probably the funnest place i've ever been, me and my buddys used to ride it every weekend. You should ride when the fog is super thick it makes the ride way more intense.
This man speaks the truth. I have ridden Wilson in the fog and snow once. Up at the top where you first start had a bunch of snow a couple years ago... fun fun fun!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey, I just found out we have 8 guys coming from my school. . . a bit more than I expected and already an unwieldy group with a couple noobs in it to boot. We are going to meet here at 11:15 and probably hit the JPL parking lot (North of the 210 at the Arroyo/Windsor Exit) by noon. the only problem is that we may totally fill up our shuttle car. if you are local, come out and meet us and we'll see if we can work out a way to get everybody to the top and then back to their cars, but i have to give the school group priority and I cant really say if there will be room till I see how the bikes stack up in the morning. you got a cellie?

-Clay

Perhaps

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Hollywood, CA
Unfortunately on Saturday my car decided to shoot one of it's spark plugs out through the engine cover and I couldn't make it riding for sunday... It sounded like I woulda made things difficult anyway... maybe another time.

-G

Perhaps

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Hollywood, CA
.243 Seat eh? Is someone there Canadian? Let me know next time your heading out that way and you feel like playing tour guide for a day...

I actually considered selling my bike today so i can get a better car... I need help.

Thank, G.

MTBMaven

Chimp
Jan 31, 2006
Pasadena, CA
What trail are you actually going to be riding when you say you are riding Mt. Wilson? There are tons of trails that radiate out from Mt. Wilson. Regardless, please be vocal, use a bell, and be respectful of hikers and the trail.

I'm sure I'm going to get sh!t for this but I really don't care. This area has seen a significant increase in shuttle riders sense Big Bear closed and the trails show it. Plus hikers are getting more irritated by bikers. I'm not saying don't go but go with respect.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
How would you get sh!t for that. Its a really good idea to not- nearly run over/ or be rude to hikers. Just say hi or something when you let them go bye, or they let you go by. Try to give hikers a positive attitude toward mtber's.

I'm not saying go slow, just be nice to them.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
the trail i take follows the fire road from red box up through the tunnel, over the pass, down about 3 miles to a trail intersection, and down the mt lowe trail (i think). in any case, it spits out at the abandoned hotel and you climb around the valley to the road and down the sunset trail. that spits you out on some horse path which eventualy dumps you in some neighborhood near jpl. (Thanks for the route mike, we should ride again soon).

no hiker related altercations this time! it was a pretty slow group, so i dont think even the few people we passed had reason to cower in fear of the evil dhrs