Quantcast

WIM Update (1/17/2005)

I guess Rhino's a little slow today: :p

Sent: Monday, January 17, 2005 2:43 PM
To: wim2jan05
Subject: Happy New Year!!!

Welcome to 2005!

Hello and welcome to the first email of 2005! Let us start by saying Happy New Year! We just wanted to touch bases with y’all about changes/enhancements/announcements for the upcoming Mountain Bike Season and generally get you fired up about ridin’ yer bikes!!

Our first event is less than 2 months away. The Blazing Saddles Chili Ride is March 6th. It was looking like it was going to be a fast, dry race until Mother Nature dumped a foot of snow on Spokane a week ago. So it will be “anything goes” for the pedaling part and then chili and beer afterwards! Don’t forget your Bean-o!

The WIM Series returns with an addition and enhancements. The First timers category for the XC, and we’ve reversed the start order and split practice times for the DH. Minor enhancements, but sure to make life more fun! And we are very excited about racing at Silver Mt. Otis Elmquist (the dude formerly known as Otis the Intern) has taken up residence at Silver Mt and promised to put courses together that will make you wish Silver’s Gondola would move even faster to get you back to the top!!

Coinciding with the WIM Series and the DuBikeAthlon, is the Mountain Bike Duathlon Series. Consider this event a “mountain bike sandwich” with the running part in the middle. Individuals and two-person teams are sure to enjoy this new challenge!

Now for the BIG ANNOUNCEMENT: Yes, Round and Round will host the
24 HR NORBA NATIONAL Championships FOR 2005!! That’s right, we just found out last week that the National Championships will be returning to Riverside State Park in Spokane over Memorial Day Weekend. So get your teams together or go it alone, because the Stars and Stripes Jerseys are up for grabs!

Our website is currently under re-construction, so stay tuned and all of the details will be available shortly. If you have a burning desire that just can’t wait for the website, by all means email us at eric@roundandround.com.

That’s all for now but you can be sure that there is more to come as we get closer to event time. In the meantime, enjoy the winter season!

Eric and the crew at Round and Round.

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
One of these days someone will just have to start up a new series to cater to Western Washington, and bring new life to our sad racing state. I understand everyones gripes about WIM, lord knows I have my own, but whatever they will never do it right and I'm OK with that cause I stoped going along time ago. Its just never sat right with me that a group of people whos sole income is from putting on bike races and still they dont even come close to making people happy. They charge way to much in entrys and dont cater to the riders (customers). People go to races to have fun and to ride, and thats what you cater to. WIM has never put that as there top priority, and anyone who starts out like that has the wrong motivation for putting on races in the first place. No amount of pettions or surveys is ever going to change that. I commend Nate and Tad for there effort and anyone else involved to attempt to make things better, but you know what they say " You Cant Polish A Turd!!! "

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
two1 said:
One of these days someone will just have to start up a new series to cater to Western Washington, and bring new life to our sad racing state. I understand everyones gripes about WIM, lord knows I have my own, but whatever they will never do it right and I'm OK with that cause I stoped going along time ago. Its just never sat right with me that a group of people whos sole income is from putting on bike races and still they dont even come close to making people happy. They charge way to much in entrys and dont cater to the riders (customers). People go to races to have fun and to ride, and thats what you cater to. WIM has never put that as there top priority, and anyone who starts out like that has the wrong motivation for putting on races in the first place. No amount of pettions or surveys is ever going to change that. I commend Nate and Tad for there effort and anyone else involved to attempt to make things better, but you know what they say " You Cant Polish A Turd!!! "
Hahahaha....ya, someone should!

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Yeah, I decided awhile ago that I was done with WIM.
I'm not even going to get a NORBA license for '05 unless a certain someone decides to run some "real" races
Let the carpool to BC begin

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
BYO, dont forget hood. Ill be doing those the most. Im also not getting a norba lic for the year. Ive thought about Spokane 1, but cant race as expert. If i can race open with no annual i may go, that or race sport.....

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Oly, did you figure out a way to race without buying an annual?
I want to go to Nationals but I'm not dropping $100 for one race.
Even if I knew that I would get killed in the open class, I would do it.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
two1 said:
One of these days someone will just have to start up a new series to cater to Western Washington, and bring new life to our sad racing state.
Well on that note... look for the Broken Spoke Festival in late September in Bellingham.

DH/XC and festival atmosphere, live music and beer graden

We have been working hard on planning for the past few months and have a ways to go but things are looking pretty sweet. Website with details will be online sometime in early to mid March.

That's all the details I will say for now!:)

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
That sounds cool. I know you dont want to give any more details, but if you will....what about the location. Just curious where a suitable venue is with a shuttleable DH, XC and all.

Thanks

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
oly said:
BYO, dont forget hood. Ill be doing those the most. Im also not getting a norba lic for the year. Ive thought about Spokane 1, but cant race as expert. If i can race open with no annual i may go, that or race sport.....
I did see Hood has alot of races this year. Good to see, thats a fun place and if everyone shows up it can be killer racing. When I first started that was definantly the spot.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
two1 said:
That sounds cool. I know you dont want to give any more details, but if you will....what about the location. Just curious where a suitable venue is with a shuttleable DH, XC and all.

Thanks

Well I won't give specifics yet but the location is off the Mt. Baker highway near Glacier. We have a backup location a few miles out from that if this one falls through. Dealing with land management issues/ownership issues right now.

The DH will have a shuttlelable road and if all goes as planned our shuttle will kick the pants off other races.

Oh and there is a campground directly across the road.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
mplutodh1 said:
Well I won't give specifics yet but the location is off the Mt. Baker highway near Glacier. We have a backup location a few miles out from that if this one falls through. Dealing with land management issues/ownership issues right now.

The DH will have a shuttlelable road and if all goes as planned our shuttle will kick the pants off other races.

Oh and there is a campground directly across the road.
Good job Matt. :thumb: :thumb:

two1

Monkey
Dec 15, 2004
endub
That sounds really cool, I've done a little DHing in that area and there is some definite potential and a killer access road. You'll have to keep us posted.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Believe me I will... its a lot of work but we have a 6 person committee working on everything right now, meeting almost every other week and putting a lot of hours into this. Not to mention a partnership with Atura Recreation.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
what we need is to ask about more races being hosted at silver mt.!!
if they are trying to get more and more dh trails built what better way then to have more races up there...plus its great exposere for them and their fledgling dh mtb meca..

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i just got an email from eric saying that they are changing it so you don't have to annual license to race in sport/beginner to qualify for series championship

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
throw in scwietzer and the 12hour thing and its almost enough...
but yeah its lame, 60 this year too right. they need a discount for college students.
i am gonna race sport again though and skip scwcwhieitzszszer though i want to hit up the course maybe late spring