Quantcast

Wind mills

J

JRB

I didn't take pics since they were far away, but Shawn apparently did so now I pose the question. Anyone know anything about these??? There were hundreds in the mountains when we went on our road ride a few weeks ago. Weird thing was there were gale (edited for S.S.) force winds coming home. Like 1 out of 30 of these things had a brake on and were barely turning. Anyone know why??? Do they generate too much power for the grids??? The ones that were going were normal speed and the others were nearly stopped, but still moving.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
you start the worst threads i have ever seen

:stosh: for you.
I want to know asshat and I am not a member of a power producing windmill forum. :nuts: for you.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
loco-gringo said:
I didn't take pics since they were far away, but Shawn apparently did so now I pose the question. Anyone know anything about these??? There were hundreds in the mountains when we went on our road ride a few weeks ago. Weird thing was there were gail force winds coming home. Like 1 out of 30 of these things had a brake on and were barely turning. Anyone know why??? Do they generate too much power for the grids??? The ones that were going were normal speed and the others were nearly stopped, but still moving.

ok, Ill nerd out here with what I know. they are power generatos and they can product lots of power for a grid- palm springs is mostly powered by em and that's with all of those hot desert summers and all the A/C running.

as for the ones that were running fast or slow, they have blades that can be turned to determine how much electricity that they want to generate. i have also heard that they break down and that can explain the stopped ones...or they just didnt need that much power that day.

some of em get huge- each blade being 100 feet long or so- possibly even bigger. i heard that some of them generate megawatts of power.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
I know that we are the #1 state for wind powered energy potential. We don't have very many though because we are cheap up here and those fukers are expensive.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
Dude. Gail? Who's Gail? :p

Oh...... hold on..... you meant *gale* didn't you? :thumb:

-S.S.-

I don't care. Tell me about the damned windmills please. :help:

And yes - I guess I meant gale, but I have never written it in a sentence before. I am stupid. :o:

J

JRB

slowSSer said:
ok, Ill nerd out here with what I know. they are power generatos and they can product lots of power for a grid- palm springs is mostly powered by em and that's with all of those hot desert summers and all the A/C running.

as for the ones that were running fast or slow, they have blades that can be turned to determine how much electricity that they want to generate. i have also heard that they break down and that can explain the stopped ones...or they just didnt need that much power that day.

some of em get huge- each blade being 100 feet long or so- possibly even bigger. i heard that some of them generate megawatts of power.

Yeah - these things were all going 3 days before. It was liked they applied a clutch to keep them from producing. I guess you can't store the stuff.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
loco-gringo said:
Yeah - these things were all going 3 days before. It was liked they applied a clutch to keep them from producing. I guess you can't store the stuff.

not a clutch- they just feather the blades.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
That would be a good quote for someone's sig if it wasnt so blatantly obvious. ;)

Not really a victim. Not really all that insulted by you. :rolleyes: You are pretty funny in a cynical, I don't really like you kind of a way. :D

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
slowSSer said:

yup, they can be very powerful.
they are kinda popular around here in the rural areas, and in country houses.

you can get 2-3 KW-h with a 3000 bucks mill. and those are waaaaaaaaay bigger. but you gotta build some batteries, and have an alternator and some work is required so have an even supply of electricity.

i´ve been researching about this, and solar energy lately. i wanna convert my house to an alternative energy method.

a few friends of mine have houses completly self-fed by alternative power. :thumb:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco-gringo said:
BS looks awfully cute there on his jackass.
Im sure you call guys cute all the time, but please try and refrain when speaking about me. I dont swing that way.

J

JRB

BurlySurly said:
Im sure you call guys cute all the time, but please try and refrain when speaking about me. I dont swing that way.
Damn it - nothing witty to say. :dead: