Quantcast

Windrock Info..ALL of it!!

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
A few of us from the Mid-Atlantic will be making the trip out to Windrock May 5th-7th. I don't know too much about this place, I've searched around and found alittle but I'd like to know alllllllll about what I should expect, thanks!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Brunettes said:
A few of us from the Mid-Atlantic will be making the trip out to Windrock May 5th-7th. I don't know too much about this place, I've searched around and found alittle but I'd like to know alllllllll about what I should expect, thanks!
For directions and general infor: www.windrock-mtb.com

What else do you wanna know?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The trails are very steep and rocky. There are a few jumps here and there but Windrock is pure DH singletrack with very few man made items. Even though you may see a lot of pictures of the man made stuff, believe me a majority of the mountain is natural terrain. The weather is hit or miss year round. Fall is the driest time of the year. Spring can be great weather, but it can also be very wet. Summer is very hot and humid. It is shuttable with your own vehicle. There is a daily $15 permit required.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Yeah I want this info as well....since I'm going with him. ;)

I think there will be at least 4 of us coming in early May. Where do we pick up the permit or ticket or whatever it is that we need to ride? Also, should we look for some locals to hook up with lest we be assaulted in your spooky woods? I'm a lilly white city boy from the northeast, hell I'm almost albino! ;)

I'm kidding though.... I'm hoping it's a good weekend and we get to meet some of our more inland big bike riding comrads. Looks like a hell of a good time and I can't wait (to fall and hurt myself, and cry).

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Alight I'm the one organizing the trip for us Mid-Atlantic guys. Baltimore and DC specifically. Of course I'm originally from that neck of the woods, far SW VA specifically, and I still have at least have part of my accent. The other guys may have never even been to the south before.

We will be hitting up windrock on May 6 and possibly May 7. We wouldn't mind hooking up with some locals to show us the ropes.

Any tips to prepare us for our trip would be helpful.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
oldskoolbiker said:
Remember that scene in Happy Gilmore, when he doesnt make the hockey team, so he goes in the batting cage to "toughen up"?

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
This will indeed be the farthest south I've ever been.....except for last year when I went to Orlando, which doesn't really feel like the south. It just feel hot, in December. God I hate Orlando.

I'm packing my bag as I type this*

Body armor - check
Full facer - check
New 7" Travel bike - check, almost
Balls - only one

*I'm lying

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
oldskoolbiker said:
Alight I'm the one organizing the trip for us Mid-Atlantic guys. Baltimore and DC specifically. Of course I'm originally from that neck of the woods, far SW VA specifically, and I still have at least have part of my accent. The other guys may have never even been to the south before.

We will be hitting up windrock on May 6 and possibly May 7. We wouldn't mind hooking up with some locals to show us the ropes.

The only advise I could give to someone who has never shredded at WR is that you shouldn't expect to master the place in one trip. I'm not saying it can't be done because it has numerous times. All I'm saying is to expect to be challenged and have yourself and equipment throughly tested. Go over every pivot and bolt because the last thing you want is to worry about your equipment, you'll have enough fun on the trails. Oh, and bring spare parts...

I look forward to riding with you damn Yanks.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
oldskoolbiker said:

you show up, we'll ride.

you won't be dissapointed.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I think I will be backed up by everyone that the thing you'll go through quickest is BRAKE PADS. Seems like I waste a pair there after 2 days of riding...at least on the back.
The other 2 things everybody always kills is lots of tubes and derailleurs

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Taz said:
Nah! Who said a DH bike can't be a single speed :thumb:

I think Dean has been running that way since last year. On Saturday, I notice my shifting was a little bad. Since I was a little out of it (dehydrated and 2 headers), I didn't notice that the derailuer had been ripped almost out of the hanger until I washed the bike on Saturday night. The strange thing was that the derailuer was fine except for the portion of the hanger that was still attached. I'll clean up the threads with a tap and it will be good to go.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
ChrisKring said:
I think Dean has been running that way since last year. On Saturday, I notice my shifting was a little bad. Since I was a little out of it (dehydrated and 2 headers), I didn't notice that the derailuer had been ripped almost out of the hanger until I washed the bike on Saturday night. The strange thing was that the derailuer was fine except for the portion of the hanger that was still attached. I'll clean up the threads with a tap and it will be good to go.
it is funny to ask someone...so how many times did you shift..."ummm, well...there was the...no wait, maybe at the...hmmm...did I?"

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
what does that mean? :confused:
dude...at Sugar and places like that, you'd get cooked b/c you rode nothing but Windrock for the longest time. You don't remember sucking wind in the parking lot and saying "I gotta do sprints. Windrock doesn't prepare me for this stuff.."

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
dude...at Sugar and places like that, you'd get cooked b/c you rode nothing but Windrock for the longest time. You don't remember sucking wind in the parking lot and saying "I gotta do sprints. Windrock doesn't prepare me for this stuff.."

Yeah, a road bike will get you set for the rigors of racing at Sugar. But, BMX will get in shape for racing downhill.:love:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
Oh you men like Sugar, where I won last year. :oink:

BMX is where its at!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
Oh you men like Sugar, where I won last year. :oink:

BMX is where its at!
oh yeah...in VET. And I wasn't talking about '05. But I know how hard you're trying to recapture your youth and bury all those memories of defeat during your prime competitive years. All the training and riding will pay off. I'll hopefully be right there with you pretending I can "maybe" qualify for pro class at the Open.

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
Just curious, I know most folks are sporting full-on DH rigs up at the Rock, but is anyone getting it done on shorter travel rigs?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Raaar said:
Just curious, I know most folks are sporting full-on DH rigs up at the Rock, but is anyone getting it done on shorter travel rigs?
of course...you just don't aim so much as you "guide"...aiming on less than a dh rig...bad. I still plan on riding Trail1 on my hardtail in the near future b/c Ben called me out.:clue:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
of course...you just don't aim so much as you "guide"...aiming on less than a dh rig...bad. I still plan on riding Trail1 on my hardtail in the near future b/c Ben called me out.:clue:
Trail 1 including the road gap!

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
bizutch said:
Thanks, i was just curious if anyone was hitting it on 5-6" travel rigs on a normal basis. WR is only about an hour from me and I'd like to check it out. I'm not really a hardcore DH or freeride guy, but I love gnarly tech, and WR looks like it has that in spades.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Raaar said:
Thanks, i was just curious if anyone was hitting it on 5-6" travel rigs on a normal basis. WR is only about an hour from me and I'd like to check it out. I'm not really a hardcore DH or freeride guy, but I love gnarly tech, and WR looks like it has that in spades.
you can.
but unless you're a good finesse rider, your bike won't live very long.
even d.h. sleds die prematurely here.

i have a constant wheel rotation going on.
riding one while i wait for stevie to re-build the other.

Taz

Monkey
Sep 22, 2001
Granite, lots of granite
Raaar said:
Mike McCoy has done everything at Windrock on a Spec.Ed SX (Fox 36 on the front), but take into account he is a AA or A BMX racer (I think that's correct, he rides for Kovachi). But even he said Southern Rocks trail gave him issues.