Quantcast

Windrock Info..ALL of it!!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i always got the impression he was more of a d.s. rider.
but he did ride here on a vastly inferior bike and did very well.
he smoked one of the races on a full d.h. bike once.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Taz said:
Ah ok. I don't know why I thought he had...
..because back in the day there were about 20 Kovachi riders...all young, fast groms...all BMXers...all stacked up in the finals of dual slalom's up and down the East Coast.

and Jeff, McCoy did BMX....just nothing to the extent like Walt or Brent did.

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
dhbuilder said:
you can.
but unless you're a good finesse rider, your bike won't live very long.
even d.h. sleds die prematurely here.

i have a constant wheel rotation going on.
riding one while i wait for stevie to re-build the other.
After watching the vids of Windrock and looking at some of the pics I can see why bikes & parts would be short lived if you hit it on a regular basis. I ride a Heckler, and while I am a bit of a finesse rider, I know that in it's current configuration it would be DOA after a couple of runs.
If I can round up some beefier parts, though, I'd like to come up there and pay my pound of flesh to the trail gods.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Raaar said:
After watching the vids of Windrock and looking at some of the pics I can see why bikes & parts would be short lived if you hit it on a regular basis. I ride a Heckler, and while I am a bit of a finesse rider, I know that in it's current configuration it would be DOA after a couple of runs.
If I can round up some beefier parts, though, I'd like to come up there and pay my pound of flesh to the trail gods.
A heckler you say. A buddy of mine broke his back riding WR on a heckler. Strange......

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
spoke80 said:
A heckler you say. A buddy of mine broke his back riding WR on a heckler. Strange......
I think Carlito was on the Bullit when he renamed windrock "Brokeback mountain".

Weeks later D Jammer weaseled his way into a trade for the bullit while carl was deep into a pain medication binge.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
GotMyGED said:
I think Carlito was on the Bullit when he renamed windrock "Brokeback mountain".

Weeks later D Jammer weaseled his way into a trade for the bullit while carl was deep into a pain medication binge.
I stand corrected.

Mar 21, 2006
Chatanooga
My friend and i came up a few weekends ago and i rode my bullit and he rode a heckler. It looked so painful. But i Felt the power of the gods too. i was pretty banged up for like 2 weeks.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
ChattDownhill said:
My friend and i came up a few weekends ago and i rode my bullit and he rode a heckler. It looked so painful. But i Felt the power of the gods too. i was pretty banged up for like 2 weeks.

yeah. we watched you guys walk a lot.
you'll need to be sportin full armor before ya'll will be riding here again.
skid lids and gym shorts aren't going to cut it.

like i said a few weeks ago. this isn't where you come to learn to d.h.
i don't like havin to be the heavy on this. but when i saw you guys tryin to ride southernrocks, that was the straw that broke the camels back.

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way
dhbuilder said:
SOMEBODY forgot to tell Jeff and Brady that when they took me to this place call Windrock!:nopity:

And I love them for it!!:heart:

Thanks goodness I have been a BMXer all my life, and we all know that BMXer's can ride F*%king ANYTHING with 2 wheels!!!!:weee:

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
dhbuilder said:
Uhh...how much of a solid rule is that? I always wear a full face, but I'm not really a fan of upper body armor. I'm coming out there this weekend and I'll bring it just in case.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Sherpa said:
Uhh...how much of a solid rule is that? I always wear a full face, but I'm not really a fan of upper body armor. I'm coming out there this weekend and I'll bring it just in case.
if you're under 18, you'll need to have a legal guardian co-sign your permit paperwork and remain on site while you're riding. that's the coal co's rule
then after you don armor, i'll take you down southernrocks at speed. you'll see why.

these three were way underage.
they walked most everything and slammed a tree or two.
they had no armor to speak of and really need to go and find someplace else to learn on.
i know i'll take flack for this, but it was a scenario that scared the daylights out of me.
this place is NOT FOR BEGINNERS.

when we drop in on a trail, we make a commitment way back at the start. and when three fifteen year old kids are running and can't get out of the way fast enough. that's where i say enough is enough.
i've done my share of hospital time because of this place and i will not have the added hazard of hapless riders sending me there again.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
dhbuilder said:
i'll take you down southernrocks at speed, then you can make that decision.

these three were way underage.
they walked most everything and slammed a tree or two.
they had no armor to speak of and really need to go and find someplace else to learn on.
i know i'll take flack for this, but it was a scenario that scared the daylights out of me.
this place is NOT FOR BEGINNERS.

when we drop in on a trail, we make a commitment way back at the start. and when three fifteen year old kids are running and can't get out of the way fast enough. that's where i say enough is enough.
i've done my share of hospital time because of this place and i will not have the added hazard of hapless riders sending me there again.
Alright, sounds like it'll be a non-issue. I've been to W-rock before and feel comfortable on the terrain, but I'll prob suit up anyway.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
dhbuilder said:
Hey man, what kind of injuries did the rock give you, nothing too serious I hope

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
speed racer said:
Hey man, what kind of injuries did the rock give you, nothing too serious I hope
Dude, he ejected his spleen after a nasty wreck off the "ewok drop"....dirt rest its soul. I had to carry the spleen out and then go back and extract Joey from the clutches of DEATH! The spleen and Joey were reunited at Oak Ridge Hosptial later that day.

Seriously

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
WOW, Are you serious? What is the ewok drop? Which trail is it on? I'm telling ya, I have a lot of respect for that place. Anyone that doesn't is asking for it. We will be there this weekend. I'd love the tour. It will only be my second time, and all I got to ride that time was Snakerock. Looking forward to the new stuff.

Also, what kind of tire pressure are you guys running up there to reduce flats. I have two wheelsets I'm bringing one with Stans, and the other DH tubes. What have ya'll seen work best and at what pressure?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
speed racer said:
WOW, Are you serious? What is the ewok drop? Which trail is it on? I'm telling ya, I have a lot of respect for that place. Anyone that doesn't is asking for it. We will be there this weekend. I'd love the tour. It will only be my second time, and all I got to ride that time was Snakerock. Looking forward to the new stuff.

Also, what kind of tire pressure are you guys running up there to reduce flats. I have two wheelsets I'm bringing one with Stans, and the other DH tubes. What have ya'll seen work best and at what pressure?

Totally! The ewok-drop was a high speed drop off of the old trail one. I'm getting choked up just remembering the "wonderland".:(

Anyway, your technical questions are to.....technical. Just show up, ride, and repeat. Not trying to be "that" guy but I know that Joey runs low psi and I run a higher psi, it all just depends on what works for you.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
speed racer said:
Also, can you give me directions when you getoff I-40 to get there?
Good god man!

Sure now problemo.
1. I-40 East towards Knoxville
2. Exit Pellissippi Parkway/Hwy162 (North towards OakRidge)
3. Stay on Pellissippi Parkway through Oak Ridge
4. After the two bridges named after people turn right onto Windrock Rd.
5. Stay on Windrock Rd. (have you seen Deliverance?)
6. Seriously, stay on the road. No matter what you see!
7. Drive into parking lot
8. Stay on road past the "Snack Shack" on your left
9. Stay on road past the permit shack on you right
10. turn into the upper gravel lot (the one with the mountain bikers)

Directions also detailed here:http://www.windrock-mtb.com/index.php?post=s1121638936

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
dhbuilder said:

i don't like havin to be the heavy on this. but when i saw you guys tryin to ride southernrocks, that was the straw that broke the camels back.

Well, I know just from the pics that many of you guys are waaay more skilled that I am on a bike-especially when it comes to DH and hucking. But, I've been riding for a long time and am pretty realistic about my limitations. Like i said before, I've seen the pics and vids of Windrock and KNOW I would take a beating there, but if you aren't taking a beating every once in a while you aren't challenging yourself. I haven't taken a real beating on a public/ legal trail in the SE in a long, long time.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Raaar said:
Well, I know just from the pics that many of you guys are waaay more skilled that I am on a bike-especially when it comes to DH and hucking. But, I've been riding for a long time and am pretty realistic about my limitations. Like i said before, I've seen the pics and vids of Windrock and KNOW I would take a beating there, but if you aren't taking a beating every once in a while you aren't challenging yourself. I haven't taken a real beating on a public/ legal trail in the SE in a long, long time.
I have been trying to remember where I know you from on this website and then it finally hit me. You are famous for one of my favorite threads:http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119482&highlight=raaar .

Anyway, when are you planning on come up to ride?

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
spoke80 said:
I have been trying to remember where I know you from on this website and then it finally hit me. You are famous for one of my favorite threads:http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119482&highlight=raaar .

Wow, that "poaching" thread was intense.

I learned this phrase from my roomates girlfriend the other day---"egotistical maniacs".

I think that applies to a few of the meatheads who were posting on that thread.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
spoke80 said:
Good god man!

]
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get everything ready, since I don't get away that much with kids and work and everything. two weekends ago wife broke her leg, last weekend rain out, a go for this weekend and get a call that my great grandmother passed away. IS this a sign or something. Hope not because I am going to try and come up on Tuesday with a couple of buddies. Hopefully the isolated showers that are forecasted will be minimal.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
GotMyGED said:
Wow, that "poaching" thread was intense.

I learned this phrase from my roomates girlfriend the other day---"egotistical maniacs".

I think that applies to a few of the meatheads who were posting on that thread.

People are passionate about their cycling in these here parts.

Raaar

Monkey
Sep 13, 2004
spoke80 said:

Wasn't me...(Damned archive).

...I'm pretty stoked about getting up to WR, but it won't be until around April. I'll be getting my arse handed to me in Gooseberry Mesa, Sedona, and Flafstaff for the first two weeks of May...Schweeeeet!!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
biker3 said:
So how serious is this over 18 thing? Is the Coal Co. gunna ID us or if we're 17 and look 18 can we just pass on that? We're trying to come out without parents.

Who is going to be riding this weekend? We should be there saturday and sunday.
Yes, they are serious and we are serious! Now,since you have posted that you are under 18 you will need your folks in order to ride the trails. I will not lose this little slice of heaven to some outta towners trying to duck the rules. Not to be a dick but that's the way it is.

I'll be there Saturday if I don't get persuaded to race BMX.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
biker3 said:
So how serious is this over 18 thing? Is the Coal Co. gunna ID us or if we're 17 and look 18 can we just pass on that? We're trying to come out without parents.

Who is going to be riding this weekend? We should be there saturday and sunday.
WTF? If you got caught, they could give the boot to all DH riding. Worse yet if you got hurt.

I guarantee you that we will find you if DH riding gets shut down due to irresponsible behaviour. Why can't one of your parents come out to the hill?

biker3

Turbo Monkey
ChrisKring said:
WTF? If you got caught, they could give the boot to all DH riding. Worse yet if you got hurt.

I guarantee you that we will find you if DH riding gets shut down due to irresponsible behaviour. Why can't one of your parents come out to the hill?
chill out man, I was just asking. Wouldn't you prefer I ask before being stupid? It's just a question, and not all of us have parents who are willing to drop everything they are doing and drive 12 hours for their kids. My parents aren't moto mommy and daddy or anything like that so I just wanted to be clear.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
biker3 said:
chill out man, I was just asking. Wouldn't you prefer I ask before being stupid? It's just a question, and not all of us have parents who are willing to drop everything they are doing and drive 12 hours for their kids. My parents aren't moto mommy and daddy or anything like that so I just wanted to be clear.
No sweat, and thank you for your inquiry. As you can plainly see we are all very protective of Windrock and you will appreciate why once you have ridden here.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
JeffD said:
Do it, MFer, do it! :redhot:

Consider yourself persuaded :thumb:
You pipe down. Remember you supposed to be focusing on DH this go round!:rofl:
Plus, it is hard to resist the rock. I can hear the sweet whispers from here..........I must obey.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
JeffD said:
Pencilneck. Hit the Rock on Sunday.
No can do meathead. It is Easter Sunday and I have other obligations. Easter Sunday is the one day I gotta give it up to Jesus. Plus, I rode Windrock after work yesterday so I'll get my quota by Saturday.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
spoke80 said:
No can do meathead. It is Easter Sunday and I have other obligations. Easter Sunday is the one day I gotta give it up to Jesus. Plus, I rode Windrock after work yesterday so I'll get my quota by Saturday.

"Cause nobody f*cks with the Jesus"

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
spoke80 said:
awww man...I'm shooting to get out there this Sunday.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
bizutch said:
awww man...I'm shooting to get out there this Sunday.

Sorry honey but I gotta apease the gods. And it is Windrock Mtn. not Brokeback Mtn.!:nuts: