Quantcast

windrock pictures

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
Crossing a creek!
You'd be suprised what a 2wd jeep can do!
I probobly won't do it again but it made friday interesting...
i hope the main shuttle raod will be open at least one day on the weekends

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
Thats awesome. I think I saw pictures of the Jawbone in another thread and it looked like death. It looks fun in these pictures. The jumps look really nice and mellow for big bikes. I really would like to get up there. Awesome shots.

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
you dont want to mess with it. you could make it up, but it's not really worth the risk and trouble. I guess it would take about an hour to do a run...

If someone has a dunebuggy that seats 6 chime in! Or get a rental F150...

I am all for a group of us going up there and doing some trail work while we cant ride it anyway. It's the perfect chance to work all weekend and not cry because you want to me riding what you just built.

if you want to go help build, PM me and I'll carpool up there.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Before you start talking about building trails at Windrock you have to go through Joey. Joey has been given all the authority to regulate all the future trails going into Windrock.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Originally posted by spoke80
Before you start talking about building trails at Windrock you have to go through Joey. Joey has been given all the authority to regulate all the future trails going into Windrock.

....by the power vested in me I now pronounce you Joey...and you Windrock...to be lawfully wedded. What the lord has joined today, may no man put asunder:monkey:

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
DW,
These trails really are awesome. I make the 4 hour drive as often as possible. These guys have put thousands of hours in working on these trails. Right now there is about 1800 ft. of elevation and with the road expansion, there will be another 900 ft. added to that! The place is blowing up, and will only get better.
You should consider coming out to the races this year! guaranteed to be a blast!

By the way, thats nuts riding those trails without a shirt, most people wear as much body armor as possible, especially needed in the steeps!

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
I'm not talking about building anything different or making a new trial. Just trim weeds and rake out the ruts... He'd probably be there anyway.

I've been informed that we're not even allowed to move rocks around up there. That's too bad b/c I'd love to make a loop or some crazy log rides. :eek:

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Man, get in touch with Joey, he is up there all the time, more than willing to work with you on some heavy duty trail building. He has a ton more trail work going on from what he has told me; about with 800 more feet of elevation worth of trail to build like everyone is saying.

It is definitely a good idea having Joey help coordinate the whole build. That man knows the mountain like the back of his hand. He has hiked around that place way more than me or most anyone else, that is for sure! He keeps the whole trail rockin' and using the best parts of the mountain for that smooth FLOW all the way down.

I hope I can make it up there to help Joey build some more. I am counting down until the shuttle road is re-opened and also the race late this summer...

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
i've got joey;s number if anyone wants it...i'm sure he'd appreciate anyone willing to help
but hell yeah man the trails are great shape i think joeys gonna have some killer lines coming up from what he told me when he rode up trail 2 with us friday...he's all about it!!!

come on guys those pics wtih no shirt are form the doubles at the bottom of the course....
i guess i'm just hardcore like that...:D j/k

nuttypoolog

Monkey
Apr 3, 2004
Atlanta
True dat.
I'm not telling anyone how to build a trail or starting an arguement... I'm all for big nasty rock gardens and deep rooted ruts in some places, but the hills that shouldnt be rutted could stand to be maintained.
For example, the steep hill before the first road crossing... one deep rut has developed and there's not really any other line you can take now. The dirt from the top of the hill is now down at the sharp left. And before the waterfall... all the dirt from the top is now at the bottom. it's not nearly as steep as it was last year. I would love it if I could make it wider, we'd have the option of riding a new steep section of hll, or taking the older/current trail... :drool:

not to mention that water errosion is going to be a big problem if it's channeled into our riding line.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by nuttypoolog
I'm not telling anyone how to build a trail or starting an arguement... I'm all for big nasty rock gardens and deep rooted ruts in some places, but the hills that shouldnt be rutted could stand to be maintained.
For example, the steep hill before the first road crossing... one deep rut has developed and there's not really any other line you can take now. The dirt from the top of the hill is now down at the sharp left. And before the waterfall... all the dirt from the top is now at the bottom. it's not nearly as steep as it was last year. I would love it if I could make it wider, we'd have the option of riding a new steep section of hll, or taking the older/current trail... :drool:

not to mention that water errosion is going to be a big problem if it's channeled into our riding line.
Its a fine line between overly groomed trails and eroded trails. I always think to myself... 'man I could go so much faster if those loose rocks weren't in the way'. Well duh, we probably could go much faster down the paved road too.

I have learned that due to the steepness of Windrock, the trails change all the time. So, I love to adapt my riding skill to the varying conditions. I really like that the trails change with time.

But besides that, there is only one person with the responsiblity of trail management out there and I ain't him. It does seem like we have free reign out there, but we really don't. Joe is the man and luckily he is there for the riders. The only downside is that you have to ride what he builds and plans and that ain't all that bad. ;)

Plus instead of working on the current trails, lets all get together and work on some of the new trails Joey has in mind. I can't wait for an upper addition of Snakerock to 'snakes' its way down an additonal 800-900 feet. :eek:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I did some trailwork for them the last time I was there.
I removed a big briar patch that was too close to the trail.
The method I used to remove it was landing on it on my back.:p
It worked very well, except for the bleeding calves. Hey, its all give and take.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Oh yeah, I forgot to say that we might be in danger of loosing the waterfall and the rock garden above it, I imagine. The road is getting almost three times its current width in some places. So it is highly possible that one day we might show up and those features will be gone. Its hard to do, but I like the current trails that don't cross the roads. Its better for us that way. No worrys about getting t-boned by an ATV and better yet we don't have to worry as much about some bubba trying to ride his clapped out 1987 CR125 down or up our trails.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Yeah Doug, I agree. Crossing the main shuttle road can be a bit scarry with the occasional drunk redneck hauling ass up the road on a buggy that might not have the most reliable brakes!

I was talking to Joey about his ideas on building new upper trails to the East to avoid crossing the shuttle road and still access the lower sections. There are only a few ATV trails that direction that are less heavily traveled. He was even saying that those trails could possibly be crossed by a road gap keeping the ATVers off the bike trails. All the talk of the future trails up there just make me drool:D

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Originally posted by Ronny Grady
All the talk of the future trails up there just make me drool:D
:drool:

As far as I can tell, the paved road the only road those bubbas use. They use it to get to the mud wholes up top, then they ride it back down. :rolleyes:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Originally posted by profro

But besides that, there is only one person with the responsiblity of trail management out there and I ain't him. It does seem like we have free reign out there, but we really don't. Joe is the man and luckily he is there for the riders. The only downside is that you have to ride what he builds and plans and that ain't all that bad. ;)...
but people are still welcome to come up and offer to help out when's he's around right? I would assume that if you bring a shovel, he'll happily put you to work....:p

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
I WANNA SEE A ROAD GAP!!!
THAT'LL GIVE BILLY BOB SOMETHING TO DRINK TO!!!!!
when we're like 6ft in mid-air over their heads

i think i can talk joey into crafting some sturdy lift off ramp!

ohhhh mannnn!!!!!!! that would be so sweet!:D