Quantcast

windrock races registration

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
is there something online to register or do you just have to do it there. is the race still on. just wanna make sure.

and i heard that oakridge is like a good place to stay when you go there. how far is it actually from windrock.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
ok. so where do i actually need to go to register. never been there and would prefer to know where everything is before i get there. any site with a map where you could point it out real easy.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
When you pull into the parking lot (at the end of the road) you'll see the registration tent. Pretty easy. What class are you racing?

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
profro said:
When you pull into the parking lot (at the end of the road) you'll see the registration tent. Pretty easy. What class are you racing?
well i think im gonna finally stop being a sandbagger and enter into sport. no chance im entering beginner. but are there gonna be age groups for sport or just like 18 & under

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'm not sure, it will depend alot on how many riders show up, but the sports will run the same course as last summer's race.... I think. Trail 14... mostly a 4x4 trail with lots of loose rocks. Fun at speed.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
so basicly like fire road. i was hopin i could go out there and like do some of the harder trails. i would just race jr. x but id rather not get my ass kicked really bad. courses are alot more fun though.

think i should just go to blue knob instead. part of the mid atlantic cup series. 17th and 18th too and i already have 1st in the first race and windrock would be my first race in the maxxis series.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
yah. but if i enter jr. x here can i still race sport everywhere else. ive done alot of racing up north and jr. x is like REALLY competitive and tons of super fast people. wouldnt wanna have to race against them cause of this one race. id still probly like no finish good but course would be fun. anyone else have some input on what you think i should enter. hehe. but come race time what i enter will probly be based on how many people are in the categories. thats if i can still race sport after i go to jr. x. anyone know about that. my license still says beginner on it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I may have been wrong. The sports may run down Snakerock now that I think about it. Its a singletrack trail with nothing too over the top, but its technical in a skill kind of way. Lots tight turns. I love to practice on this course because its long and I can really work on my technical skills like pumping corners, carrying speed, and letting go of the brakes.

I know finishing high in your category is cool and all, but if the course is better in the junior x class, I'd jump up for sure. You'll be much faster than the sports who will progress to the expert class. You may be slower at first, but after a season or two of racing faster peeps, you'll be much faster in the end. But its all about riding fun stuff. I say Windrock, I promise you won't ride a course anywhere else that is as much fun or challenging.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yep, snakerock is one of the most fun trails ever for DHers of about all skill levels.
If I were you guys, I would run them down Snakerock for sure. It will increase the attendence at the next race no doubt.
But for the love of God, don't put that spine section on any race course.
That is the last thing you need is a bunch of beg./sports racers come tearing into the top of that section. :dead: :nuts:

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
well i think ill def just go to windrock. its alot closer and i was planning on going to this one all along but the thought of atv trail which probly=fire road would def make me NOT want to come. had enough fire road at snowshoe like a week or two ago.
but i think ill probly atleast do a couple sport races before i make the jumpt to jr. x. just the thought of going from beg to jr. x seems kinda wierd. but what i was planning on doing was i raced a whole season of beg last year and never did worse then 2nd in 6 races
was gonna do 1 0r two beg this season
then do sport for hte rest of the season
then do jr. x
but i was talking to this guy mike at snowshoe and he was sayin how you have to be 15 to do jr. x. hhhmmmm

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
I raced Jr X last year and my skill level doubled. I would definately recommend it. You will progress a lot as a rider. As a matter of fact Windrock was the first race that I raced JR. X. It was definately worth it. I also did it on a 6inch travel bike. Now I'm in the expert class and learning a lot but also getting my butt kicked. It goes hand in hand.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
idk. i guess ill just race jr. x this race and see how i do. jeremy dont you race like expert or whatever. think we could hook up and i could ride behind you a couple times. its just easier for me to go faster if i can follow behind someone that would be goin faster then i normally would just cause like i wanna stay with em or whatever.

are there any races before windrock that you know of that are within like 7 hr drive.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
DHracer1067 said:
idk. i guess ill just race jr. x this race and see how i do. jeremy dont you race like expert or whatever. think we could hook up and i could ride behind you a couple times. its just easier for me to go faster if i can follow behind someone that would be goin faster then i normally would just cause like i wanna stay with em or whatever.

are there any races before windrock that you know of that are within like 7 hr drive.
Yeah man, the best thing you can do is follow a local down Windrock.
They know every inch of the trails.
I never know where I am going, and I tend to run into stuff. :p
Its cool that you are young and so into racing. That is what our sport needs around here, more young blood like you, Charlie, etc...
See ya out there.

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
Jeremy R said:
Yep, snakerock is one of the most fun trails ever for DHers of about all skill levels.

But for the love of God, don't put that spine section on any race course.
That is the last thing you need is a bunch of beg./sports racers come tearing into the top of that section. :dead: :nuts:

I have to agree that Snakerock is fun as all get out. Err... but i like the spine section,I say leave it in :thumb:

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
This sucks. I have to take my daughter to frikkin Holland for the BMX Worlds and will be gone the weekend of ETSU. Why so much back to back racing?
Why not just extend the race season?
Damn BMX is always getting in the way of my riding. :mumble:

Mar 23, 2004
Is there a place to see a schedule? What day are the races (dh sat mtnx sun???) and practice times? I'll be coming from 12hrs away just want to make sure I get there on time. And how the h-ll do you find the place (which way do I go)? Also do you guys run a hard tail class

jtoomey

Chimp
Jan 29, 2003
Knoxville, TN
The times and course were yet to be set as of last time I talked to Shawn. What is do know is that there is over $10,000 in prizes combined for both or the races. There WILL be a video premiere on the 17th at Manhattans in the Old City(you will likely need to be 21 for this one) and I believe that will be a few prizes there. If this rain ever stops we can finish the last few sections of the DS at Bigfoots. From what I hear the new "interstate" at Windrock is pretty nice. For more info on Times and Schedules stay tuned. By the way there is an XC race at Haw Ridge on the 17th. If you know anybody that still does that sort of thing.

Jonathan

Mar 23, 2004
Post info asap I was telling some guys about it at ambc race in WI. today and some sounded interested if they knew times dates and location.

B

bigkonarider

i live an hour away toward Gatlinburg--but Windrock has been dry every time i go...
I just make sure it's not too sloppy ..i hate the slick wet stuff...
Snakerock trail is just tits, with some small drops that you can roll & no scary sections at all..
Up top there is a gap jump that looks kinda intimidating but it's fun and easy & then you go through some killer turns for some more little gaps until you reach the ROCK garden..
You can easily roll through it--but reccommend you just let it go w/o going too slow-believe me on this..
Then on to a steepish roll-in off the road crossing right after the ROCK garden...
Goes into a rocky kinda waterfall area that slightly tricky no doubt--but just let it roll & then go for a while-- to where you see 3 possible way's to go the rest of the way down...signs are there..
Go LEFT for snakerock"easiest"
Go middle for a freeride /DH trail that i havn't been on..but looks tit's w/ wooden jumps & steeper sections..
AND go RIGHT for the original DH course that may not be maintained & has some challenging STEEP sections no doubt.......experts only i would think..
Have fun & c-ya'll out there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :blah:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The sports will start at Trail 14 just up the road from the waterfall section. They will not go through the upper rock garden or waterfall. But as for Snakerock being a race course, we will have to do some work to fix somethings that don't suit a race. For example, the wooden bridges might be deadly at race speeds and the teeter totter might need to be taken out??? Hate for it to break or come out of place during the race runs. Some racers would get screwed for sure.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
"Go LEFT for snakerock"easiest"
Go middle for a freeride /DH trail that i havn't been on..but looks tit's w/ wooden jumps & steeper sections..
AND go RIGHT for the original DH course that may not be maintained & has some challenging STEEP sections no doubt.......experts only i would think"

After you go through the "baby rock garden" which is after the water fall you cross trail 14. You will jump over a small barrier and then you will see a three way intersection.

{Look for the wooden signs}
Left---> Snakerock (easiest)
Middle-----> Sidehill (Hardest)
Right-----> trail 1 (Moderate)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
spoke80 said:
{Look for the wooden signs}
Left---> Snakerock (easiest)
Middle-----> Sidehill (Hardest)
Right-----> trail 1 (Moderate)
Letf---> Snakerock (awesome fun)
Middle--->Sidehill (back breaking ;))
Right--->Trail 1 (Moderate my azz, fast/high speed race course)