Quantcast

Windrock Windmill Trail Map

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I took a run with the GPS on Sunday down the Windmill trail. The trail was 2.7 miles long with a 2300 foot drop.

After looking at the trail in Google Earth, I see what Joey is talking about with the endless possiblities with expansion off of the ridge near the bottom. Again, thanks to the guys that built these trails. They are worth the drive.

Multiple angles and the trail profile are found here: http://highgearracing.com/gallery/album07

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH, snap! Awesome graphics.

And I quote: "stoked + stoked = shzaaam!"

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
man.
i've been telling everyone how much more land we have access to.
now ya'll can see it first hand.

check out the size of the valley on the east side of the overlook !!!!
i see many more years of trailbuilding in my future.

frikkin windrock !!!!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
How long is that time wise?
It took me 15 minutes of moving on the run I took with the GPS. We stopped at Windrock road so that probably added a minute or so since I pedaled around on the road which kept the moving time on the GPS going. Also, that's from the drop off by the windmills and includes pedaling up the hill prior to entering the singletrack.

I think I could get in the 12-13 minute range without any stops.

Doug has gotten under 10 minutes. That's fast.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I did it one run in 9:14 and another in 9:30 with a crash. Both times I was completely blown by Jaw Bone Drop. That was back when the gravel road crossing was different. You had to pedal down the road to the left and then back down to the right. I think I could get it under 9 flat but not much more. I think someone like Herndon, who is really fit, could get it close to 8:30 or even under.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Doug
Where did you start your time? At the windmills or the start of the singletrack?
The lower parking lot. He sprinted up the gravel road to the windmills, did a complete drift 180, sprinted back down the gravel road, up the dirt double track and into the trail. Stopping only to battle a horde of atvers that were hell bent on mayhem. Not bad for a sub 10 run.:happydance:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Can you imagine the poor dude that says...oh, cool a pretty straight shot down the mountain....looks wide open.
Where are the 597 dip down/up right/left chute to berm variations???

Just kidding. I know a GPS can't show every single twist and turn in that trail. But boy if it did, you'd get dizzy just tracing it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
that overhead view of the next ridge over and ensueing valley.
makes me think we might have to rethink our projects for this winter.
that's easily as much if not more area than we already have down in the "snakerock valley".

it's not a bad idea to maybe think about doing getting away from the old trailhead and the ever increasing danger of those road crossings.
we've had way to many close calls on those lately.
plus there's been a whole lot of construction all around our jumps this year.
making them a lot less secure from poaching than ever.
and the effort to run enough barricades around all the freshly opened areas, may not be worth the time and effort.
plus above the bulkhead needs major overhauling.
we could easily spend over a month this winter just taking care of all that mess.

that's alot of time that could be better spent creating new and very secure singletrack.

thanks for posting the picture chris.
that view is a huge help.

Joe-E are you implying moving eastward on that map thus moving the trail head higher up the windmill shuttle road or higher up the existing road where the gas drill rig was as of late?

Or somewhere else all together?

On the highgear page with the maps, what is the perpindicular white line that cuts across the highlighted trail?

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Joe-E are you implying moving eastward on that map thus moving the trail head higher up the windmill shuttle road or higher up the existing road where the gas drill rig was as of late?

On the highgear page with the maps, what is the perpindicular white line that cuts across the highlighted trail?
That would be the gravel road you cross halfway down.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005

the thought is to shift our main trailhead over to the begining of the high speed portion of the windmill trail.
that area is closer than you think to where we have been dropping in all these years.
the main routing problem would be to get something from that point over to the three way split area, so that all the other gems don't get abandoned.

the way they've re-routed the waterflow down into the waterfall valley spells doom for that section possibly.
a couple of weeks ago just a moderate rain diverted enough water down through there to totally wash out the waterfall trail.
it had to get a rebuild before this past weekend.
heavy winter rains will probably lay waste to that section.

we need to look at an alternative.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
the thought is to shift our main trailhead over to the begining of the high speed portion of the windmill trail.
that area is closer than you think to where we have been dropping in all these years.
the main routing problem would be to get something from that point over to the three way split area, so that all the other gems don't get abandoned.

the way they've re-routed the waterflow down into the waterfall valley spells doom for that section possibly.
a couple of weeks ago just a moderate rain diverted enough water down through there to totally wash out the waterfall trail.
it had to get a rebuild before this past weekend.
heavy winter rains will probably lay waste to that section.

we need to look at an alternative.
Plus doing that will eliminate the possibility of getting taken out by the one tooth wonders on 4 wheelers at the road crossings.
I was coming up out of the main rock garden about to cross the road,
and some guy probaly named Cleetus had it pinned at 60MPH down the road.:disgust:
I can't imagine how many close calls you locals have had over the years.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
The thought of those "gems" getting abandoned just made me sick to my stomach......for real!
they won't get totally abandoned.
we've been ripping down from the top down through the waterfall for almost seven years now.
the locals can do it blindfolded.
it's time to move to on bigger and better things.

nobody will be dissapointed.

dave.
got your p.m.
thanks.
see you soon.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
they won't get totally abandoned.
we've been ripping down from the top down through the waterfall for almost seven years now.
the locals can do it blindfolded.
it's time to move to on bigger and better things.

nobody will be dissapointed.

dave.
got your p.m.
thanks.
see you soon.
Awesome, we should get to work soon before I have to return to the real world of work. :banana:

CHepler

Monkey
Sep 5, 2005
as evidenced by the locals, it must be somewhere in the local water supply.....
Butch,
Someone pointed you out to me your last trip here, I may introduce myself your next trip down.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Butch,
Someone pointed you out to me your last trip here, I may introduce myself your next trip down.
you're not mad at me for the crack on the locals are ya? I mean...unless the water supply has done some strange things to you like Care Bear Ben...:brows:
I wish you'd introduced yourself last Saturday bro. Been eager to meet you for certain. Just walk up and smack me upside the head next time. I don't mind. What were you riding?

TURBOLVR

Chimp
Feb 9, 2006
Gentlemen,

I propose that I could do the Windmill trail in 6 minutes
flat- I will be riding atop the back of a great Centaur Stallion
like this one! If you would like to challenge me the beast and I will slay you!

Attachments

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Well guys I have some bad news!!! I will now not have a bike to come up on the 28th. I just got off the phone with my guy at my shop and our rep at Giant that was taking care of me for next year told him my 2006 bike got snaked by another rep from him while it was on hold waiting for other bikes to be shipped to the store. They now have no more 2006 Glory’s to send out. The good news is they are giving me a 2007 for only $150 more. Bad news is the bike will not be in till Dec. Sorry I did plan on coming up to hang out with all you cool guys. I now have to wait till next spring to see how much work Joey and you guys have put into the Rock.

:disgust1:

TURBOLVR

Chimp
Feb 9, 2006
Affirmative!
It would be like a Wendy's Doublestack.
In the spirit of the Huns we will eat the Centaur
Beast after he gives to exhaustion under our girth.