Quantcast

Windrock Windmill Trail Map

TURBOLVR

Chimp
Feb 9, 2006
Spoke 80-
You is of like mind...
Tubesteak smothered in underwear!
why does ze bike have to be ridden only.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
If anyone wants the trail so they can load it up in google earth and play with it themselves, PM me your email address.

If you haven't ever used google earth, you should try it out. You can even check out Y12 or area 51 while your at it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Well guys I have some bad news!!! I will now not have a bike to come up on the 28th. I just got off the phone with my guy at my shop and our rep at Giant that was taking care of me for next year told him my 2006 bike got snaked by another rep from him while it was on hold waiting for other bikes to be shipped to the store. They now have no more 2006 Glory’s to send out. The good news is they are giving me a 2007 for only $150 more. Bad news is the bike will not be in till Dec. Sorry I did plan on coming up to hang out with all you cool guys. I now have to wait till next spring to see how much work Joey and you guys have put into the Rock.

:disgust1:

bad news for you maybe.:)

we ride !!!!!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
you guys should see what mark webb, terry and i saw today.

i guarantee, no other trailbuilders on this continent will have the canvas to build on like the one we found today.

and we just hiked a very small portion of it.

terry put it mildly, when he simply said at the end of the hike, "i'm overwhelmed".

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
you guys should see what mark webb, terry and i saw today.

i guarantee, no other trailbuilders on this continent will have the canvas to build on like the one we found today.

and we just hiked a very small portion of it.

terry put it mildly, when he simply said at the end of the hike, "i'm overwhelmed".
Will it be ready on November 15th? :cheers:

What can we ride that weekend?

Jun 11, 2004
dave.
got your p.m.
thanks.
see you soon.
Yes sir! All systems are a go for this coming weekend.....10/28 and 10/29.

I rode with Jon and Jeff Saturday in Wilsons Creek and they said they are in. And Andy said he is gonna come up to session with us as well!

Should be good times.......as usual!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Will it be ready on November 15th? :cheers:
What can we ride that weekend?
that's hard to say.
probably just the four or so main trails.

southernrocks.
tr 1.
snakerock.
middlefinger.
maybe the lower two thirds of the windmill trail.

what we looked at this weekend is the new area we'll be building in from now on.
if things go as planned, we'll be moving away from our old trailhead and those two roadcrossings.
i'm tired of having to deal with the danger in those two areas everytime we have visitors from out of town.
that whole area isn't near what it used to be a few years back.

so much construction etc...
has made that whole area not worth the effort to keep it going anylonger.
the waterfall needs rebuilding now after every rain, as so much water has been diverted into that creek.
we need to get a new way into the area by next spring.

trust me.
if we get things detailed out the way we plan,
you wont miss that stuff at all.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Yes sir! All systems are a go for this coming weekend.....10/28 and 10/29.

I rode with Jon and Jeff Saturday in Wilsons Creek and they said they are in. And Andy said he is gonna come up to session with us as well!

Should be good times.......as usual!
i'll probably have to spend most of saturday with the leafblower, cleaning leaves from trails.
we're forecasted to have rain thursday and friday.
and wet leaf cover on those trails are impossible to ride on.
it shouldn't take that long if ya'll can keep shuttling me back up so all i'll have to do is walk down with that thing.
climbing trails with that beast is a b.tch.

Jun 11, 2004
i'll probably have to spend most of saturday with the leafblower, cleaning leaves from trails.
we're forecasted to have rain thursday and friday.
and wet leaf cover on those trails are impossible to ride on.
it shouldn't take that long if ya'll can keep shuttling me back up so all i'll have to do is walk down with that thing.
climbing trails with that beast is a b.tch.

We'll shuttle you no problem! Infact, I'll bring my leafblower as well and walk some trails too if thats OK with you.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Joey

Looks like Diablo is out for this weekend since no one wants to drive out there with me. Therefore, I'll ride moto this weekend and plan to come back down in a couple of weeks.

Can I help to build this if I can get Friday off? I'll try to recuit some additional hands.

A connector from the Windmill trail to the 3 way. It's less than 0.2 miles long as the crow flys (0.25 miles or so of trail). It's the white line with the red points on the ends. It should start somewhere near the end of the high speed section. The strait green line that it crosses is a bogus segment (whoever GPS'd the ATV trails merged all of the segments and created a few issues in the process.)

Also, here is the GPS tracks of the ATV trails overlayed with the Windmill trail.

http://highgearracing.com/gallery/albums/album07/Windmill_Trail_With_ATV_trails.jpg

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
That would be saaweeet! Any guess about where on the windmill trail (feature-wise) your proposed connector would break off?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
That would be saaweeet! Any guess about where on the windmill trail (feature-wise) your proposed connector would break off?
I am pretty sure the line I plotted starts at the end of the high speed section just before the uphill that you rocket up and turn to the left at the top. What I plotted is a basic location. You would need to be on the ground walking around for a few hours to mark it with ribben and then cut in. It doesn't look like there are any cliffs in there to worry about. However, I can't be sure without getting on the ground and walking.

Again, Joey I am willing to drive down and help on a Friday in a few weeks.

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Easier said than done Chris. What the map doesn't take into account is the huge gorge created by the creek that stands in between that part of the Windmill trail and the 3-way. Remember the 1st creek crossing after the trail 24 overlook? If you looked up the creek from there, that's what you're facing up to the trail on your map that dissects the re-route you made. So we're lookin' at a 150' gap jump if we go that way. Thanks for the idea though!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Easier said than done Chris. What the map doesn't take into account is the huge gorge created by the creek that stands in between that part of the Windmill trail and the 3-way. Remember the 1st creek crossing after the trail 24 overlook? If you looked up the creek from there, that's what you're facing up to the trail on your map that dissects the re-route you made. So we're lookin' at a 150' gap jump if we go that way. Thanks for the idea though!

Like I said, you would need to walk it to determine if it is feasible. I am willing to come down and work on it. I would just hate to see all of the original trails go to waste if the original trail head is abandoned.

Where does the ATV trail cross this gorge?

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Like I said, you would need to walk it to determine if it is feasible. I am willing to come down and work on it. I would just hate to see all of the original trails go to waste if the original trail head is abandoned.

Where does the ATV trail cross this gorge?
Actually the atv trail goes over this giant spillway - dam thing (actually I don't know what you call it, but I think it's part of the top of the old tramway). A trail can be routed above it, but to get to the 3-way you'd have to build a half mile benched trail to get there.

The re-route will most likely have to stay close to the paved road in order to get it where it needs to go. Whatever is done you're lookin' at several days work minimum to get something over there so I don't think it's feasible until this winter sometime.

As for all the old trails, believe me, they won't go to waste.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
... It doesn't look like there are any cliffs in there to worry about. .....
There's not a cliff at Windrock they've ever worried about building on...heck, I think that's like the second most common feature behind rock.

Windrock trail features:
1. Rocks
2. Cliffs
3. Creeks
4. Really fast, skittish frickin' squirrells
5. 1 left handed garter snake with a penchant for DH

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005

chris.
while i more than appreciate the offer.
and you're more than welcome to come and help.
what we're talking about will takes months of work to complete.

think along these lines.
there's over 100 man hours in just the road gap jump.

nothing up here happens overnight.
and we have tons of hiking to do first before we ever break ground on anything.

that, more than anything else is why i never ask for help up here.
from time to time we've had out of town riders come and lend a hand.
they show up all full of pee and vinegar, thinking they'll build one day and ride it the next.
then get frustrated when all we do is haul buckets of dirt or move pile up stacks of rocks for future use.

i do believe though, that this will be the most ambitious building season to date.
and we may very well put out a call for help.
we'll have to get a few projects up to a point where a lot of man power will be needed.

but with our "one trail built to full detail" approach this winter.
most of the time our little group of six or so will be enough.
but we may need folks to help do bench work.

like i've said before.
the high gear team has contributed quite a lot in getting us to where we are today.

see you guys soon.

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
but with our "one trail built to full detail" approach this winter.
most of the time our little group of six or so will be enough.
but we may need folks to help do bench work.

like i've said before.
the high gear team has contributed quite a lot in getting us to where we are today.

see you guys soon.
That being said, like you and i have talked about just last week.
You need to get all this ready and give us a weekend when you need our help. give me a few weeks notice (if possible) And I will show up with strong backs and shovels. We (HGR) have used you're trails plenty, We ALL really want to come down and do just a small bit of our share.
We will talk about this more on our next trip down..... See ya real soon- JM

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
That being said, like you and i have talked about just last week.
You need to get all this ready and give us a weekend when you need our help. give me a few weeks notice (if possible) And I will show up with strong backs and shovels. We (HGR) have used you're trails plenty, We ALL really want to come down and do just a small bit of our share.
We will talk about this more on our next trip down..... See ya real soon- JM
Best post I've read on this forum.:cupidarrow:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
yeah.
we'll build things out to a point where benchcutting will be needed.
(the goal is to keep that to a minimum, and utilize as much off camber as possible.)
then put a call out for ya'll to come down a get after it.

it's alot like shovelin snow.
except the following week, you don't have to do it all over again, :):)