Quantcast

wine pics

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Those pesky corks are so much trouble. I always go for the screw tops. ;)

Cool pics! Now that my wife is no longer preggers, I have to start buying wine again. It's been so long.... :drool:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
BikeGeek said:
Those pesky corks are so much trouble. I always go for the screw tops. ;)
I read an interesting article stating that screw tops are actually the best way to keep wine (now that materials are used that resist the acidicy of the wine and don't flavor it), but manufacturers can't use them because of the stigma associated with screw tops.

My dad was telling me he had a really good wine that came in a screw-top bottle, he kept promising to give me the name. I'll have to shoot him an email and remind him.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
binary visions said:
I read an interesting article stating that screw tops are actually the best way to keep wine (now that materials are used that resist the acidicy of the wine and don't flavor it), but manufacturers can't use them because of the stigma associated with screw tops.

My dad was telling me he had a really good wine that came in a screw-top bottle, he kept promising to give me the name. I'll have to shoot him an email and remind him.
Yeah I am seeing more and more Cali wines using screw tops (Randall Graham at Bonny Doon has been doing it for years), and I notice a lot coming from New Zealand too. A middle ground is the artificial cork, I am starting to see more of those too. They preserve the ritual a bit more...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
binary visions said:

I saw a program on one of those cable channels (FoodTV?) and wine experts were saying screw tops are actually less expensive and easier to use and it makes no difference which is used, but like you said, people have the perception that screw tops equal cheap wine. Also, someone I know who used to work in the restaurant business said most house wines, even in expensive restaurants, are kept in large, screw top bottles.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
screw tops are definitely making in-roads...the biggest wine geek/collector i personally know is a big fan of him, mainly because it eliminates 'corked' wines from being a possibility in his cellar. wouldn't it suck to lay down big $$$ for some wine, only to find out that 5% could be skunked when you open it years later?

he poured us a very nice aussie shiraz which had a screw-top...can't recall the name, but it was ~$50 a bottle, and tasted great.

i can't see the old world vineyards (esp the French) adopting this very soon, but it will catch on slowly and surely. at least that's my bet.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
OGRipper said:
Yeah I am seeing more and more Cali wines using screw tops (Randall Graham at Bonny Doon has been doing it for years), and I notice a lot coming from New Zealand too. A middle ground is the artificial cork, I am starting to see more of those too. They preserve the ritual a bit more...
I like those artifical corks. I've never had one break on me.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
OGRipper said:
They preserve the ritual a bit more...
Yeah, I see a lot of artifical corks even on expensive wines.

The screw tops are convenient, but I agree that there is something to the ritual of opening the bottle.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Tenchiro said:
Did N8 hack you account TN? :monkey:
Nope, if he did it would be pics of Appletini's or Vagi-tinis, as I like to say.

Thanks for the compliments too! I am using an old g-2, that i think is slowly dying on me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
binary visions said:
but I agree that there is something to the ritual of opening the bottle.
most elaborate cork ritual i've seen was at a dinner we ate in Siena...ordered a nice chianti riserva, and the waiter cut the foil, leaving it still attached to the bottle w/ a loop, then poured a small amount into one glass, swirled to coat, then poured into the 2nd glass, did the same. lastly, he poured the into a small glass for himself, tasted it, and pronounced it fit to drink. he poured servings into our wine-coated glasses, then slid the cork into the foil loop on the bottle.

it was pretty impressive!

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
upgrade to a rebXT

:thumb:

I am thinking D70. I want a CCD, instead of cannons cmos chip.

but then again I wont have enough $$$ for vino then.

Yeah, I like corks too. Much of the romanticism of wine comes from the cork, IMHO.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
A large number of NZ and Oz wines are coming in screw caps now. My cellar had at least a half dozen bottles recently with screw tops.

I like uncorking a bottle, but to be honest, I don't care if I unscrew the top.

It's the liquid gold that goes in my glass that's important........ :thumb:

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
BikeGeek said:
Isn't it the slow admission of oxygen in to a bottle that ages the wine? Does a screwtop allow anything in?
As of yet they don't know if artificial corks or screw tops will allow the wine to breathe. Because of this you won't see many, if any, screw tops or artificial corks on red wines. With white wine it is fine as it isn't supposed to age.

Smaller wineries are starting to do it because with traditional corks you have a 5% spoilage rate, that is expensive for a smaller place.

I must say one of the best white wines I've ever had was at a small place outside of Picton, New Zealand and they had a screw top. So it certainly doesn't hurt the quality of wine.

The Ito

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
ito said:
<snip> Because of this you won't see many, if any, screw tops or artificial corks on red wines. <snip>
Lots of Aussie reds are now coming in screw tops. I've had both Shiraz & Shiraz blends under screw caps.

And I can't begin to tell you how many red wines from around the world come with artificial corks. I've seen them for years.

I have a case of Italian Barbera in the basement with artificial corks.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the cork is not supposed to breathe...otherwise, why do bottles rest on their side? so that the cork doesn't contract and allow air into the bottle. oxidation is what spoils wine. unless you like vinegar.

i'm no wine chemist, but i thought what ageing does is to allow the tannins to undergo a slow reaction and soften, a reaction that is anaerobic.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Tenchiro said:
I can only stomach Port, but people always give me a funny look when I admit that.
I've grown to really like port. I got a 10 year old tawny for X-mas that is really nice.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
SkaredShtles said:
Lots of Aussie reds are now coming in screw tops. I've had both Shiraz & Shiraz blends under screw caps.

And I can't begin to tell you how many red wines from around the world come with artificial corks. I've seen them for years.

I have a case of Italian Barbera in the basement with artificial corks.
My mistake on adding the ariticial corks into that. But I haven't seen any red wines under screw caps, but then again I'm not that big into wine, I just like to go tasting. Guess I was wrong, thanks for clearing it up.

The Ito

HarryCallahan

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
SC mtns
binary visions said:

Besides Bonny Doon and the Kiwis, I read that Plumpjack up in Napa was bottling half their Cab in screw tops.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
HarryCallahan said:
Besides Bonny Doon and the Kiwis, I read that Plumpjack up in Napa was bottling half their Cab in screw tops.
I'd heard that a number of vintners are experimenting with the screw caps & putting part of their vintages under the screw. Probably a smart move to test the consumer waters.........

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
narlus said:
my turn for a photo. my bro and his wife dropped this off as an xmas gift yesterday:

Too funny! My brother gave me the exact same bottle, but the 10 year old. Cheap bastard! :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well my bro (oil broker) and his wife (investment banker) have more money than most 3rd world countries...i think they didn't have to stretch.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
no.

do you have a vac-u-vin thingy which sucks the air out? i'd hate to open the bottle and have it sit too long. will probably bust it out for a holiday/dinner party thing.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
narlus said:
no.

do you have a vac-u-vin thingy which sucks the air out? i'd hate to open the bottle and have it sit too long. will probably bust it out for a holiday/dinner party thing.
How long does port last before going tits up? I think it's longer than a bottle of wine.

Just FYI - I've heard the vac-u-vin thing is not as effective as simply storing in the fridge. We keep our open unused bottles in there and then pull it out a few hours before polishing it off.

Luckily, we rarely have to worry about an open, unfinished bottle.