Quantcast

Wingnut Hyper 3.0 initial review...

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Ordered this thing back in...I don't know...December-ish, I guess. Some of the guys at the shop got them to try out, to see if we'd want to become a dealer.

I got a Hyper 3.0, which is the 100oz offering that uses a typical (i.e. Camelbak 100oz bladder).

What I was told about it, that sort of got me interested:

- sailcloth construction - strong, lighter, and waterproof.
- sealed zipper - "waterproof"...there is a little hole where the 2 zippers meet, so not completely waterproof.
- side pockets accessible without taking back off.

What I thought was gimick:

- low-rider weight distribution.

Well I'll be a son-of-gun. Having the weight placed lower on the back proved to be nice. Very nice. One thing that always bugged me about my Camelbaks has been that I've known they were on my back. At the beginning of the ride, that **** would be so annoying, especially with a full bladder. Well, with how the Hyper 3.0 sits (low on the back), it felt freakin' awesome. It was almost like I forgot I had it on. Seriously. for the 2.5hrs I was wearing it, I didn't once wish to take it off, or drain the water so that it'd be more comfortable.

The side pockets were also nice. Especially since I was taking pictures.

The sailcloth and waterproof zippers? Yeah, whatever. Don't really care too much about that...I'm more impressed with how the pack felt on my back. So, for now, after 1 ride, I give it 2 thumbs up.

My only complaint is lack of smaller pockets inside the large, central pocket. But, they aren't really necessary, as there are 2 mesh pockets on the sides (with drawcord, capable of holding shoes easily), as well as zippered pockets. still, it'd be nice to have at least one smaller pocket inside the central pocket. There is also a mesh pocket on one of the shoulder straps, should you want to carry a phone, or something.

https://www.wingnutgear.com/product_details.cfm?id=116

More to come...

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I've had mine for about a 100 miles now and nothing compares to it. Hell, most of the time I forgot it was there; figuratively speaking of course. You can easily access tools, grub, more tools, a waterbottle, slingshot, and other apparati.

Plus, the elastic loop next to the pocket on the shoulder strap fits an Apple shuffle perfectly for quick access to tunes.:cheers:

Attachments

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
how would it work for rollier pollier/stockier people?
They have a model that designed specifically for the ergonomics of the rolly polly types called the fat pack. It is really simple, just a envelope really, just tuck it under a fold. It has a tampon like string that hangs down so you don't forget where you put it.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Interesting... I've been thinking about one of these as my current camelbak heads towards the land of permanent stink.

Which camelbak did you have?
I had a Mule...2005 model, and 2006. Also had a Dakine Nomad.
That is a pretty interesting pack. Wingnut, I've never heard of them. Have they been around for long?
Not sure how long they've been around. I heard of them first a few years ago, while flipping through the pages of a mtb mag. never really considered them, until i saw the packs in person.

as of now they are still made in the US, but i believe they are planning on shipping production overseas in order to get more product out. like i said, i ordered mine in December and got it mid-January (though, it was with a group of 6+ other packs for our shop).
how would it work for rollier pollier/stockier people?
not sure. i'm about 200lbs and it fits me fine, with room to spare.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
They have a model that designed specifically for the ergonomics of the rolly polly types called the fat pack. It is really simple, just a envelope really, just tuck it under a fold. It has a tampon like string that hangs down so you don't forget where you put it.
what if it turns into a pearl that way? I mean, is there some sort of guarantee against this?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I have one of their older models - the enduro I think it is. I can hold a ton of stuff. One thing I had to do to get it to be comfortable was to remove the material that bridges the shoulder straps.

Since, I've done that it has been more comfortable. Before that it was annoying as hell. But now it's good.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
what if it turns into a pearl that way? I mean, is there some sort of guarantee against this?

Pearls are only an oyster thing. I think humans will form some kind of cheese layer.

On a more serious note, I don't have any comfort problems but am intrigued to hear any feedback if carrying the weight lower might help bike handling as it lowers your CG?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
yes, the lower pack is more comfortable than riding with the camelback IMO.

If you go for a Wingnut - get their newer models though. They are nicer in terms of quality and pocket access etc. etc.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I've had a Hyper 2.5 for about six months......before absolutly destroying it. The side mesh pockets ripped off, the padding on the backpanel started coming off, and the stiching holding the waist and shoulder belts on started ripping off. this was from the same type of usage I'd had other packs last several years through. The sailcoth and zippers are nice and tough, but the construction left a lot to be desired. Other than all that, it was super comfy.

E-mail sent to the company about my durability issues and concerns garnered no replies at all. I won't buy another based on that, and the durability.

Since then, I've rigged up a similar adjustable strap system to a Camelbak Mule and a large Kona branded Polar Design pack, with great results. The same riding low on the back, wrap around the hips comfort, with much better durability. Not as light, but also not disposable.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i've got a few more rides with the Hyper 3.0 and all is going well. The one durability issue I've got not is that one of the side zippers is not aligned correctly, so it's tough to keep closed. I use that pocket for a spare tube. Other than that, everything else is dandy. I really, really like how the weight of the pack is distributed.

My one sort of annoyance is with the side-exiting hose. there's a lot of extra hose because of that, and the spout just kind of flops wherever. It's not up close to my chest like with Camelbaks. Small issue given how much I like the way pack sits on my back.

I'll try to get some pictures later on.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
as of now they are still made in the US, but i believe they are planning on shipping production overseas in order to get more product out. like i said, i ordered mine in December and got it mid-January (though, it was with a group of 6+ other packs for our shop)
The one durability issue I've got not is that one of the side zippers is not aligned correctly,
Does this mean the pricing will become sane and the quality will improve at the same time :biggrin: