Quantcast

Winston-Salem social scene - beyond mtb

tim_fsr

Chimp
Jan 27, 2005
Chicago, IL
I was reffered by 'IJR' on mtbr.com to post here. I'm in the final interviews for a job in W-S, and I'm hoping to get some local opinions of the social life in the Triad area for a single guy around 30.

It's a job I want and I know the mtb is great. I've done other research on W-S and I know it's much more than a glorified hick town (no offense intended). I'd like to hear what the locals have to say. Thanks.

(not sure where to post this, if this isn't the ideal forum, I aplologize)

-Tim

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i live in the next town over, high point, and i used to live in winston. it's not a bad place for social stuff, nothing like chicago but still easy to find something to do. there is a decent music scene and winston is home to the NC school of the arts and they put on a lot of civic stuff. greensboro is only about 25 minutes away and has a few more "big city" features than winston. if you want furniture...come to my town :D (home of the worlds larges furniture market)

if you're into the underground music scene by chance, check out NCmusic.com.

w/out knowing your interest i'm probably not going to be much help but feel free to pm me and i'll give you more detail.

welcome!

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
I live in W-S and i have for all ,my life (16 years). The music scene is ok like manimal said, but after living here a few years you really have to try hard to find things to do. It feels like W-S is sorta at a highpoint right now, the downtown scene is growing but i have a feeeling that with Krispy Kremes bad times, things arnt gonna stay great for too long (they were gonna be a huge sponsor in a giant expansion of downtown that included all kinds of things at one point an imax theater was one of them, but i personally dont think this expanison, call unity place, will ever happen) The riding here is pretty good and we're conviniently located pretty close to the mtns and the ocean, so thats good. Im not really involved in the adult singles scene, since im 16, but ive heard it kinda sux. Just wondering, what company will you be working for?