Quantcast

winter commuter

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
for those of you living in snowy climates, you might be familiar with this conundrum, but I'm frustrated with the lack of decent simple bikes for commuting in general, but in winter in particular.

My criteria for a commuter are: simple and robust. Preferably single speed, preferably with disc brakes, no suspension, and the ability to run a rack and fenders. For the winter, something like a single-speed fully-rigid 29r that costs less than $300 would fit the bill. Nothing fancy, and could be heavy as you like, I don't care. CRC has a Vitus that comes tantalizingly close, until you factor in shipping and duty.

My current ride is a Kona Humuhumu, and I'm sold on the concept. It's smooth, and strong and as it happens, I enjoy the disc brakes (I used to think they were overkill for city biking, until I started using them with a kid on the bike, and their school bag in the basket, in wet conditions... then I appreciated their ability to slow me down quickly). But at around $1000, I'm not going to subject it to winter salt.

Why haven't other companies cottoned on to the trend of simple and strong, and why aren't there more inexpensive aluminum "cruiser" city bikes?!

I'm thinking of buying an old disposable used mtb, but they all have gears and shit to contend with. And I don't want to have to deal with any of that.

gah

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I'm with you on the disc brakes. I'd never own a bike without them ever again.

They've come in very handy on occasion, on my cross bike. Side benefit, you can thrash through puddles and mud like a kid without having to second guess whether you'll be able to stop in time or not, when some idiot's dog darts out in front of you on a path.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for those of you living in snowy climates, you might be familiar with this conundrum, but I'm frustrated with the lack of decent simple bikes for commuting in general, but in winter in particular.

My criteria for a commuter are: simple and robust. Preferably single speed, preferably with disc brakes, no suspension, and the ability to run a rack and fenders. For the winter, something like a single-speed fully-rigid 29r that costs less than $300 would fit the bill. Nothing fancy, and could be heavy as you like, I don't care. CRC has a Vitus that comes tantalizingly close, until you factor in shipping and duty.

My current ride is a Kona Humuhumu, and I'm sold on the concept. It's smooth, and strong and as it happens, I enjoy the disc brakes (I used to think they were overkill for city biking, until I started using them with a kid on the bike, and their school bag in the basket, in wet conditions... then I appreciated their ability to slow me down quickly). But at around $1000, I'm not going to subject it to winter salt.

Why haven't other companies cottoned on to the trend of simple and strong, and why aren't there more inexpensive aluminum "cruiser" city bikes?!

I'm thinking of buying an old disposable used mtb, but they all have gears and shit to contend with. And I don't want to have to deal with any of that.

gah
i'm sure surly has something, but you might need to get a frame and build kit separately.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think the closest thing to what I'm looking for is the karate monkey. But at a $300 price point... :/
So a used rusted one? You got a local bike buy and trade FB page?

And I'd rather walk than ride a 60lb pile of rolling crap known as the dolemite. 95% of the time a skinny bike with studs is just fine for winter commuting.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thanks! that thing is soooo close to what I'm looking for. if it had fender tabs, I would have bought it already. I think fenders are a necessity in winter.

this thing is has it beat in the ugliness department, but might just suit my needs. hmmm:

(I have a proper mountain bike bar and stem lying around, all I'd need are some flat bar brake levers...)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I spent last year riding the Rove with drop bars around. In snowy slushy slogs and ice. Drop bars suck. That one gear better work well in both good and adverse condition's.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
thanks! that thing is soooo close to what I'm looking for. if it had fender tabs, I would have bought it already. I think fenders are a necessity in winter.

this thing is has it beat in the ugliness department, but might just suit my needs. hmmm:

(I have a proper mountain bike bar and stem lying around, all I'd need are some flat bar brake levers...)
Oh hey, I didn't see that one. I got the Fantom CX a few years back for like $450 as my curb hopping commuter, but I haven't ridden it much in quite a while. I had to upgrade the cranks, but the Alex wheels are stout and other than the cranks, the drivetrain was good for the price.