Quantcast

winter park bike park

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
I am a freerider from washington state. I ride in canada and locally year round, getting a little burnt out on the same terrain. I am moving to winterpark bike park for the summer. could anyone tell me if its good. I like big drops 8-15 ft range and lots of jumps. Does this bike park live up to the hype I have heard and if not aybe there soe surrounding areas with a freeride local scene. I need soe input cheers and go big. thanx

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It's been a few years since I've bike WP, but back then, you had to make friends with the locals to find the best freeride spots. There's 500 miles worth of trails, so the cross-country is awesome and easy to navigate with the free maps. Every other Sunday is a bike race, fyi.

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I have yet to hear anything about Winter park to make me want to go ride there. On the other hand I can't wait to go ride at Sol Vista. Keystone has a good park but riding will be hit and miss this summer due to base area construction.

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
I can't wait to go ride at Sol Vista.
What kinda terrain/obstacles are there at sol vista? I saw a vid on youtube and it didnt look that great.. but then again it may have been a ****ty vid. I only saw nice big doubles.. are the drops, rock gardens, rooty sections etc, or is it just open, flowy, jumpy stuff?

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
is it good yes or no, dont be a noob and let me know if its challenging with there jumps and drops. I ride the north shore alot and Im getting burnt on same old terrain. cheers

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Winter Park is best described as having potential, but not quite there yet. They are talking big, and are sounding promising, but we've yet to see anything decent or consistent.

I can't believe you're done with the PNW scene, but yeah, there's stuff to do in the CO Rockies. The riding is good, but I think you might be disappointed with the lack of publicly known freeride trails. FR/DH not at the resorts are still under the radar and trails get closed fast. So we have no network that resembles anything close to the freeriding where you're coming from.

dbirds2

Chimp
Sep 15, 2007
thanx dude for some real answers. I still will probally move for the summer and lift access ride for a couple of months. I have been talking with the resort trail builder and he is willing to let me possibly put in one line for starters. I would be bringing my trail building experience, possibly drops 15-20 ft range, skinnys and lots of step ups and downs with bigger doubles. From my building experience you build jumps and always have a small safety net, on drops build em big and build big and forgiving transitions. I f you do these things land managers and whoever have a tendency to look the other way we hope. cheers

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Is Winter Park GOOD? Well, as others have said there's potential for sure. Are there big jumps and drops? Save the Slopestyle course that was used for Crankworx Colorado, no there is not. There is only one "downnhill" trail on the front side and for the most part everyone I know that is serious about DH stays away from it as it gets boring after about one day. It is the place I recommend going to for beginning DHers that want to get into it because it's pretty darn safe.

That being said, it looks like WP is actually gonna make good on all the rumours we've all been hearing for the past few years... check out the press release about how they're opening the backside to lift access, opening up a ton of potential trails. Now Mountain Goat will have lift access, and they're planning on running the Crankworx DH race down it. Pretty sick, actually.

http://www.skiwinterpark.com/media/Current_PR/04.08_Olympia_Bike_Express.htm

And I love Keystone and Vail and SolVista as much as every other red-blooded downhilling Coloradan for sure, but if there's any resort that has the potential to REALLY bring DH to the unwashed masses I think it's probably Winter Park. They already have the summer traffic and family visitor numbers in the summer, and boast a ton of other activities already to attract people there in the warmer months. By adding new trails (from easy greens to rough blacks) they can increase their numbers at a fairly minimal risk, it would seem. I doubt they'll become the next Whistler overnight, and they may be wise to add more easy to moderate stuff in the beginning than gnarly DH, but it sure does seem like they're starting to get committed to the bike park idea.

Yeah... it's gonna be a good summer in Colorado.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Aw yeah, looks like WP is actually gonna make good on all the rumours we've all been hearing for the past few years... check out the press release about how they're opening the backside to lift access, opening up a ton of potential trails. Now Mountain Goat will have lift access, and they're planning on running the Crankworx DH race down it. Pretty sick, actually.
they should restrict the front to slow/n00b DH and XC and restrict the back to FFA DH.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
That being said, it looks like WP is actually gonna make good on all the rumours we've all been hearing for the past few years... check out the press release about how they're opening the backside to lift access, opening up a ton of potential trails. Now Mountain Goat will have lift access, and they're planning on running the Crankworx DH race down it. Pretty sick, actually.

http://www.skiwinterpark.com/media/Current_PR/04.08_Olympia_Bike_Express.htm

Yeah... it's gonna be a good summer in Colorado.
So what's the terrain like back there? Keystone-esque? I have still yet to ride WP but have heard that a trail bike/light FR bike is adequate for the existing trails.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
So what's the terrain like back there? Keystone-esque? I have still yet to ride WP but have heard that a trail bike/light FR bike is adequate for the existing trails.
Honestly I don't know first-hand, but have been told that the Mountain Goat trail is pretty techy and fun. Although, I get the impression that it isn't anything that couldn't be tackled on a regular non-DH trailbike.

We'll see if they open up and/or build new trails to really realize the potential of the second lift running, or if they stick with what's there.

Dangerous E

Monkey
May 24, 2006
Coorstown, CO
Did anybody else see the thing they were handing out at Crankworkx CO. last year that said that by 2009 they'd have a set up almost on par w/ Whistler's? You'd think if this was true they'd be hyping the hell out of it, putting ads in mags and on forums like this one.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
WP may want to do all that stuff, and may have the plans ready. But the national forest service has the final say. Sol Vista is on private land and Keystone is in a different forest, so its not an even comparison for building new trails between the 3.

But with 3 lift service mountains within an hour of each other, its going to be an awesome summer:thumb:

xzten

Chimp
Apr 10, 2008
Conifer
Besides all the mountains that require you to buy a lift ticket....what free park is the most extreme to you all in colorado

bike_cruz

Chimp
Dec 8, 2004
I am a freerider from washington state. I ride in canada and locally year round, getting a little burnt out on the same terrain. I am moving to winterpark bike park for the summer. could anyone tell me if its good. I like big drops 8-15 ft range and lots of jumps. Does this bike park live up to the hype I have heard and if not aybe there soe surrounding areas with a freeride local scene. I need soe input cheers and go big. thanx

It does NOT live up to the hype.
Winter park is an "all-mountain type bike" resort. You will most likely be spending all your time at Keystone (if they stay open during construction). I'm a freerider/downhiller and winter park is usually good for one to two days of riding a year.