Quantcast

Winter Riding

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I have some Sporthill pants for XC skiing that are great - they are a blend, thick and warm and they are cut really slim below the knee.

Up top, I wear a wicking T with a wicking LS shirt, and a softshell vest. I keep a goretex shell in my pack for descents. I have an ear warmer band and a helmet liner that I might wear depending on conidtion.

For hands, I wear my regular gloves unless it's really cold, and then I wear an iceclimbing softshell glove. On my feet, some wool socks under a gortex sock.

I hate being overdressed and this seems to work for me.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Bottoms: I have some lined tights and I have some windstopper tights that I wear or, I wear my DH pants over some tights or lycra shorts (depending on the temps).

Top: I have some good wicking polypropolene long underwear tops that I wear under either a long sleeved jersey, polar fleece jersey and a wind breaker.

Gloves: I have the AXO Storm gloves on really cold days and regular full finger gloves on warmer days.

Head: I have a lighter headsweats skull cap and I found a really nice one with fleecy ears at Gander Mountain that I wear on colder days. I also tend to switch to my skate helmet rather than my regular XC helmet because it has too many vents.

Feet: Smart wool socks and on really cold days with snow, I switch to flats and wear my waterproof hiking boots.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Look for some sales. My tights are both the performance brand and weren't too expensive (less than $45 each I think). Also, check your local sporting goods store as they have some good deals this time of year.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
- put warm water in the camelback--it helps; remember to evacuate the tube if it's really cold or it will freeze; neoprene tube covers help but they can still freeze up.

Down to 38 degrees:
- fairly thin cycle tights; knee pads (protective and warm)
- polyprop t-neck; short-sleeved bike jersey; fleece vest
- wool socks and winter riding boots
- fleece gloves
- headband for ears and duct-tape helmet vents

Below 38 degrees:
- medium to heavy weight long underwear and knee pads under fairly thin wind pants
- long underwear top; polyprop t-neck; either fleece vest or fleece jacket
- wool socks; neoprene toe warmers; chemical foot heaters (if 20 degrees or colder); winter riding boots
- fleece gloves or x-c ski gloves
- headband or thin under-helmet head/gator combo; duct tape helmet vents (I tried using my ski helmet but it was too hot)

- cary extra stuff in your pack in case of a mechanical--you'll get cold fast.

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
No but seriously, everyones advice is right on, the only thing i would add is in the foot department. I have tried shoe covers, but they always tear, the BEST is to cut the cornner out of a grocery bag so that it cover about half of your foot. The toes and the top of the foot, and wear it over your socks in your shoes.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
- put warm water in the camelback--it helps; remember to evacuate the tube if it's really cold or it will freeze; neoprene tube covers help but they can still freeze up.
Just wear your camelbak under your windbreaker, and make sure the hose is tucked inside as well.

I have gone out on rides under zero without freezing up my camelbak.