Quantcast

wire bead tires or folding

DTLogic

Monkey
Aug 16, 2006
South Fla
What are the diffrences between wire bead tires and folding tires as far as performance, durablility and ease of getting them on the rims.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
weight, if you get a flat the beaded tires are more garenteed to stay on your rim, but besides that from what i have heard the new kevlar folding beaded tires are just as good as the steel.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
For everyone except downhill riders, who run extremely low pressures and ride the gnarliest terrain, kevlar beaded tires are the preferred choice for road, xc, and trail riders.

You save typically 100 grams per tire with kevlar beads. As for wear and tear, majority of the tire damage will occur on the sidewalls or the tread, so usually the kelvar bead is last to go.

There is the point about riding flat, but I would strongly advise never to ride when flat. Racers will occasionally do it, but it is guaranteed to destroy your wheel.

On your typical wheel, you might have to play around with the folding tires because they have not taken the shape of rim yet. After some use, the kelvar tire will be perfectly molded to the rim.

On the other hand, a tight wire bead will not loosen up, and be extremely difficult to install or remove, which is one reason why dh'ers use wire bead tires, so the tire will not come off under any cirucumstance.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Differences are well outlined above. Another consideration is that wire bead tires generally cost less and are not as easy to transport (if you take spare tires with you!).

I tried kevlar bead tires for all the hype and really I don't think it's worth paying that much extra for unless you're racing and want them to be portable or really need the weight saving which in some cases is very marginal.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I think it all depends on what kind of riding you do. If you're riding super gnarly AM/FR/DH stuff, then I'd go with the wire beaded tires. They seem to have a much thicker sidewall and are less prone to pinch flats. The folding tires are great for general XC stuff where lighter is often better.

As wasteful as it may sound, I have 2 complete wheelset pairs so I don't have to keep swapping tires for different rides. Wire bead tires ARE A PAIN IN THE A$$ TO REMOVE even with the Park Tools tire levers. I don't even need any tools to get the folding stuff off.

Got the Azonic Outlaws with the intense 909's for FR/DH, and some WTB's with mutano-raptors for everything else. Works for me.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, the XC versions of wirebeaded tires are usually not that hard to install or remove (although if they are, it won't loosen up either).

DH/FR tires are designed to be tight, for the above mentioned reasons.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I've wrestled with beads enough. I'm content with my folding bead and have never had a problem. That's nothing worse than holding up a ride while you attack a beaded rim, trying to get underneath that sucker :rant:

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
I've wrestled with beads enough. I'm content with my folding bead and have never had a problem. That's nothing worse than holding up a ride while you attack a beaded rim, trying to get underneath that sucker :rant:
All mtb tires and rims are "beaded" (except for a few rare sew up/tubulars). If you are having that much trouble you probably are not using the proper technique: http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
All mtb tires and rims are "beaded" (except for a few rare sew up/tubulars). If you are having that much trouble you probably are not using the proper technique: http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp
HAHAHA. Thanks captain obvious.

BTW, ever put on a 2.5 wire bead tire on a 21mm rim? Did Asa give any advice about that feat?

I mentioned that because at the shop she works for, the sales manager from a local tire company spent 20 minutes complaining as he installed his own tires on a 321 rim, using steel tire irons .

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
HAHAHA. Thanks captain obvious.

BTW, ever put on a 2.5 wire bead tire on a 21mm rim? Did Asa give any advice about that feat?

I mentioned that because at the shop she works for, the sales manager from a local tire company spent 20 minutes complaining as he installed his own tires on a 321 rim, using steel tire irons .
Well, the 321 is 21mm inside, not that narrow. I have the F219 (same rim, older name) and mount 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, and 3.0 wire bead DH tires on it all the time with no tools. Also mount the 2.6 on a VXC (17mm inside) and 2.3s on 19mm (outside) rims bare-handed.

Seems the sales manager needs a tire mounting lesson, too.

I may use a bead lube (Schwalbe Easy Fit is good) and make sure the tires are warm.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sounds like you know it all about tires, having one rim to practice on.

Maybe that is why you feel the need to talk down to one our regular members and more serious riders.

BTW, I hardly know much about fixing flats, except my job in a French Quarter bike shop. Do you know what people do with their empty bottles in the French Quarter after they are done drinking?

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Sounds like you know it all about tires, having one rim to practice on.

Maybe that is why you feel the need to talk down to one our regular members and more serious riders.

BTW, I hardly know much about fixing flats, except my job in a French Quarter bike shop. Do you know what people do with their empty bottles in the French Quarter after they are done drinking?
I singled out the 321 because you mentioned it. I have "practiced" on more than a few different rims over the last 20+ years of mtbing and many thousands of tire changes. I have also seen more than a few experienced/serious riders that do not have a clue about how to mount difficult tire/rim combos. If you do know the technique, having it posted can seem insulting. If you do not know, enlightening.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I use wire bead DH tires apx 1250grams ea. & use them until they wear out..Installing them 1x..
With proper pressure they never flat !