Quantcast

Wisp Review

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Went up there last weekend and checked the place out. The mountain definately has potential, but the park still needs some work. The trails were moderately rocky and fun, and the ones I rode had decent flow and good berms. There was everything from some seriously sketchy double black stuff that I rode/hiked to fireroad all the way to the bottom. The jump run was ok, but the tables were a bit huge for the speed of the run in. The "freeride park" with all the northshore stuff was pretty pathetic compared with places like snowshoe, but whatever.

The park map was fairly useless, and the trail signage was even worse. The lift was slow, and there really weren't that many options for linking up a top to bottom run. I found myself riding the bottom of the mountain on the same trail almost every time.

All in all, it was lots of fun though, worth a day trip from DC for sure.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
My favorite run up there was one they called the "XC Downhill". It was all downhill, really, but rocky and longer than the race courses. It passed right above the paintball area and had some fun, tight singletrack on it. It wasn't the steepest thing on the mountain, but it was easy to keep your speed up on and just flow from the lift all the way down.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
llkoolkeg said:
My favorite run up there was one they called the "XC Downhill". It was all downhill, really, but rocky and longer than the race courses. It passed right above the paintball area and had some fun, tight singletrack on it. It wasn't the steepest thing on the mountain, but it was easy to keep your speed up on and just flow from the lift all the way down.

I was just talking about that run yesterday morning with Sir_Crackien.

Fun in the rain ain't it?!?! ;)

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
Racer's Edge Inc. completed the ALL NEW dual track at Wisp this weekend. We're working on a new trail for the bottom of this weekend's DH course. Hope to see everyone there...Deep Creek Lake is always a blast!

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
can anyone suggest a better route from DC than 70 > 68? someone mentioned a faster route through west virginia.

booked a suite for sat night, see y'all there!

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
corey_dcstreet said:
can anyone suggest a better route from DC than 70 > 68? someone mentioned a faster route through west virginia.

Does that mean you will also be racing Dual? You dang on better!

Your wife and my kid going to be there too?

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
_bp said:
Does that mean you will also be racing Dual? You dang on better!

Your wife and my kid going to be there too?
yup, racing the the dual. wife and kid and my folks in tow. you should bring the wifey poo as well, kristy'd like it.

kristy says:
"let me know when your wife is pregnant, so i can start calling at 10pm" :mumble: :rofl:

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
corey_dcstreet said:

Cool, you're goin, now I'm stoked.( thought you were blowing this one off). If I can get my fork back together it should be a good time.Been having trouble with the 888 all year ,it is in pieces on the garage floor ,apperantly the compresion damping cartrige sorta desintigrated. might borrow a fox if Marz won't 2 day the parts.see ya there.
E.C.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
RATM said:
Are they using the same course as last year?
No. We just completed constuction on the all new track on Sunday. They course has been moved to the right side of the lift (as you look up the hill). Super spectator-friendly! It's twice as long as the old course and twice as sweet. I beleive it's one of the best tracks we've ever built. Hope to see everone there!

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
what's the deal on the friday lift included with the entry fee? is there any registration on friday (because it's not on the schedule)? i mean... how can we get a friday lift included with entry fee if there is no registration on friday?

i want to practice and register on friday and race sunday, but will probably skip out on practice on saturday.

The schedule of events is as follows:
Friday
Friday lift pass now included with entry fee.
10:00am Lift opens
6:00pm Lift Closes

Saturday
8:30am registration opens
9:00am lift / DH course open for practice
11:30am reg. closes for the Yeti Dual
12:15pm Dual riders meeting @ start
12:30pm Yeti Dual qualifying
4:00pm registration closes for the day
6:00pm lift / DH course closes for the day
6:15pm Yeti Dual Finals – awards to follow.
PM: Mini-Moto Race after dual awwards
PM: Racers Edge Go-Cart Challenge

Sunday
11:45am Downhill riders meeting @ start
12:00pm Downhill race
Awards to follow

wispoutdoors

Chimp
Jul 11, 2006
whale said:
what's the deal on the friday lift included with the entry fee? is there any registration on friday (because it's not on the schedule)? i mean... how can we get a friday lift included with entry fee if there is no registration on friday?

i want to practice and register on friday and race sunday, but will probably skip out on practice on saturday.

The schedule of events is as follows:
Friday
Friday lift pass now included with entry fee.
10:00am Lift opens
6:00pm Lift Closes

Saturday
11:30am reg. closes for the Yeti Dual
12:15pm Dual riders meeting @ start
12:30pm Yeti Dual qualifying
4:00pm registration closes for the day
6:00pm lift / DH course closes for the day
6:15pm Yeti Dual Finals – awards to follow.
PM: Mini-Moto Race after dual awwards
PM: Racers Edge Go-Cart Challenge

Sunday
11:45am Downhill riders meeting @ start
12:00pm Downhill race
Awards to follow
Stop by the Wisp Outdoors Center lower level of the main lodge and we will get you registered and give your lift and trail pass, the trail crew will be putting the finishing touches on the race course on Friday, but you can still ride the trail. Lift and trails will be open 10am - 4pm on Firday, 10am - 6pm weekends

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
Damn those bolts! Before I even rode my then-new bike It got all scratched up on that lift. I don't care so much, but for people with super nice bikes, that's something wisp might want to fix with some foam and zip ties.

I'll head out there if I don't have work, and I hope the course isn't too rocky for my little bike.

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
Mike,

Maybe you could forward this along to the staff at WISP. Seems like they still haven't taken care of it. :help:

Yeah the bikes gonna get scratched up racing/riding, but myself and others would rater do the gouging ourselves. :wonky2:

See you this weekend !!!!!

Superdeft said:
Damn those bolts! Before I even rode my then-new bike It got all scratched up on that lift. I don't care so much, but for people with super nice bikes, that's something wisp might want to fix with some foam and zip ties.

I'll head out there if I don't have work, and I hope the course isn't too rocky for my little bike.

yellowrake

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Freeland, Md.
DHZombie said:
Has WIP done anything to reduce the swingarm damage caused by the 'evil paint eater bike hooks' on the chairs ?? :eviltongu
You can always tell the lift operator you want to carry your bike. Just a suggestion because those dudes (anywhere you go) don't care about your bike.

wispoutdoors

Chimp
Jul 11, 2006
DHZombie said:
Has WIP done anything to reduce the swingarm damage caused by the 'evil paint eater bike hooks' on the chairs ?? :eviltongu

Thanks for the info, I spoke with the lift crew this morning and we will be installing some padding around the bolts today to fix this problem. The state of Maryland, requires that we hang the bikes on a hanger, we would much rather put the bikes in the chair, but they require us to use the hanger. The new dual course is open, look for photos later today on wispresort.com

corey_rideDC

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
DCmetro
wait, so you're saying that a comment on the internet inspired change in real life???? that's crazy talk. :D

thanks for listening guys!

DHZombie

Chimp
Jul 12, 2005
Leesburg, VA
YOU GUY"S ROCK !!! :thumb:

I knew you all would be able to address this problem if it was brought to your attention. Thank you !

As far as asking about carrying the bike, I found out at last year's race, when I asked if I could carry my bike, that this was not possible due to Maryland regulations.

Thanks again !!

wispoutdoors said:
Thanks for the info, I spoke with the lift crew this morning and we will be installing some padding around the bolts today to fix this problem. The state of Maryland, requires that we hang the bikes on a hanger, we would much rather put the bikes in the chair, but they require us to use the hanger. The new dual course is open, look for photos later today on wispresort.com