Quantcast

Wolfhound worship bastard lovebaby thread

auntie bob

Chimp
Jan 28, 2006
Goddammit Carpenter get in here and talk about your new frame. I am so freaking excited about this thing, I could just spit.

Y'all were blabbing about it the 29/26.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177836&page=3

you said

:shocked:

the fork will be Tony Pereira's first 20mm

rigid, steel, ss. I have other bikes with suspension. Between the a-c & the offset of the fork, it would be pretty hard to match the handling with suspension....which is just fine by me. I do not like suspension on my ss at all.

Paragon sliders, internal cable routing, integrated Hopey mount, split ST & the wide BB shell with XBB bearings pressed in (2 per side), so no BB cups.

MikeD...sorry of for the derailment

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91327&d=1178721048
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91328&d=1178721048

nah, completely obvious thing to do from my perspective. 20mm front wheel is a no-brainer for someone over 200 lbs that abuses their bikes. The Hopey just seems very intuitive to me....personally. When I called Tim Hopey to ask about the mount specs for the frame builder, he asked about the project & said that there is a surprising amount of rigid 29er ss riders ordering them as of late. He seemed to think it would be an awesome complement to the ride (as do I).

Mark, consider that the BB height will remain static...ie. I have no suspension or sag. 11.5" will be perfect for me, I like low bb bikes.
My favorite is how you apologize for derailing the thread,
and then keep on doing it.

Everybody I talk to doesn't want to make a bike for me. 6', giant feet, 29" wheels, 2.5" tires. No.
not maybe. just no.
I don't even get my foot in the door and say I want short chainstays. And a narrow chainline.
they'll laugh you out of place!
Or "I don't have the jigs, I've never done anything like that, blah"

That thing is gorgeous! I can't beleive he can actually build it!
The other big thing is the fork! You can't make it work without a custom rigid fork. You need a slack headtube and tons of offset.
nodody likes to make forks anymore, so what are you gonna do?
does wolfhound make forks? Can you tell us anything about the tony P fork? how does it clamp the axle!

I swear to god if you don't give up the goods and post about your bike, including pictures when you get em, I will find you and throw eggs at you until you do.

The split chainstays! oh man I could just sh!t, I never thought of that. I haven't even heard of wolfhound. it's all brilliant!

The sinuous curves! The fillet brazing!
I have got to meet this guy and see how he works.
And i must have one! I need to hear how yours fits and rides, to give me feedback on geometry.

He's even used to using chainguides! do they use the iscg tabs?

And what about this bottom bracket? I really need details on it. what cranks does it use, how wide is the shell, blah. I had an old fisher (early 90s 29er) with pressed in bearings. 85 mm shell. They died and I couldn't find replacements, gave away the bike. :(

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm sure there are builders out there who would build you what you seek.

Keep making calls.

maybe give this dude a call and see what he thinks: www.blackmagicbikes.com (just make sure you follow that link in IE as his site doesn't work in Firefox for some reason.)

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Can you tell us anything about the tony P fork? how does it clamp the axle!
...this will be Tony's first 20mm fork. Look on his website (Pereira Bikes) & you'll see plenty of examples of his unicrown style fork....just imagine a 20mm dropout.

I need to hear how yours fits and rides, to give me feedback on geometry.
...still waiting for the frame. Fork should be finishing up this week/ next week. Fred is finalizing his tooling for the bb & then he is ready to braze it up!

And what about this bottom bracket? I really need details on it. what cranks does it use, how wide is the shell, blah. I had an old fisher (early 90s 29er) with pressed in bearings. 85 mm shell. They died and I couldn't find replacements, gave away the bike. :(
The bb will essentially use 4 phil wood bearings (2 per side), Any standard outboard bearing crank will work fine.

martin_h

Chimp
Jun 3, 2007
Join the queue auntie_bob.

Looking forward to seeing your bike jay. I'll add it to the folder of Wolfhounds that will keep me happy during my own long winter wait.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
...I may get just absolutely crazy & try a metallic flake ;)

LOL! Watch out now!

I am super curious as to how this thing rides. Between the Geo, Hopey and 20mm rigid fork, I'm extremely intrigued.

PS- I think you should at the very minimal do the metal flake. You know, take a big risk...hehe. Such a bike deserves a nice set of clothes.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...the geometry boiled down to a blend of philosophies: Jeff Jones, Fred's & mine. If you do the math on the front handling, the trail value comes out the same as my Inbred. I just achieved it a different way that creates a more rearward weight bias (which I like) as well as less chance for toe overlap. With the 16.5" chainstays, I will keep a similar wheelbase to the Inbred as well. I can barely wait to ride it myself.

brant

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
I didn't get this for a while... this rearward weight bias thing.

Silly me had been riding my gearie too long. I think this system works great for SS riding or fixies.

It works for gearies too so long as you don't mind standing up to climb (as the front end is going to tend to come up too easily otherwise).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Man I can't wait to see this thing.

And I'm itching to try a bike with this type of geometry for Single speed riding around this neck of the woods.

Definitely go for some metallic flake in that paint mix!

something with a little bit of sparkle in it - sorta like the paint on my Serotta Colorado LT

photo sucks but you get the idea right?

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
It works for gearies too so long as you don't mind standing up to climb (as the front end is going to tend to come up too easily otherwise).
..the other cool thing about the increased offset (56mm), it pushes the front wheel a bit further forward, helping it stay planted on the steeper seated climbs (gearie).
This bike will likely not be the most compliant ride out there, but it will be a very nimble & capable woods bike (for my neck ot the woods) :D

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
56 mm fork offset?

That seems quite different from the norm. Isn't the On One fork a 47mm offset model? And the new Fox forks will go to 51mm of offset.

But another 5mm of offset - what will that do to handling in layman's terms based on the other geometry numbers of your frame?

brant

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
56 mm fork offset?

That seems quite different from the norm. Isn't the On One fork a 47mm offset model? And the new Fox forks will go to 51mm of offset.

But another 5mm of offset - what will that do to handling in layman's terms based on the other geometry numbers of your frame?
We run 47mm of offset with a 72deg head angle. With this frame having a more relaxed (70deg head angle) the fork will need more offset to keep the steering agile.

Even with 56mm, it will be more stable than the standard on-one, but that's no bad thing as it's what you want with this sort of geometry.

brant

Chimp
Nov 15, 2001
I suppose I should say "that's what I think" as it's not my design :-)

However, it's a funny thing that confuses people - longer (more) fork rake makes steering quicker, not slower. And you need more of it with slacker head angles to keep steering quick (and trail around the right sort of dimension).

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...exactly. The "trail" is determined by the offset & head angle. You can play around with a neat little tool HERE to see the relationship. Once you find a "trail" that you like, you can tweak the variables (within reason) to achieve some other ride characteristics you prefer.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Jay, I think this bike is going to be incredible. I was wondering what was up with the Geo, and now it makes perfect sense. I can't wait to hear the first ride report.

We should plan to do a Stokesville or Douthat ride soon my man! I'm telling you, both places are MTB paradise!

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Jay, I think this bike is going to be incredible. I was wondering what was up with the Geo, and now it makes perfect sense. I can't wait to hear the first ride report.

We should plan to do a Stokesville or Douthat ride soon my man! I'm telling you, both places are MTB paradise!
...how about Tues?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Rich - I was wondering - is the offset on your fork the standard 47mm of Brant's other forks?

do you know what the head tube angle and seat tube angle of your ScandAL are?

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Hi Carpenter,

Very interesting. Is the design for racing or cruising ?
...well, the easy answer is "I am not a racer". That said, I still end up leading most group rides :D

If by cruising you mean...boardwalk riding, then no...not a cruiser. ;)

This is designed to be a very aggressive "woods bike" for technical east coast style riding. I will ride it almost exclusively as a single speed, however....there will be a geared option for the winter months where the clay/ mud is too greasy for ss'ing.

It is intended to be able to handle alot of abuse...jumps, stunts...etc. A very nimble & quick (yet stable) bike for the demands of local terrain.

richpips

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
Rich - I was wondering - is the offset on your fork the standard 47mm of Brant's other forks?

do you know what the head tube angle and seat tube angle of your ScandAL are?
Hi , Standard 47mm fo the forks.

Brant has the angles.

richpips

Chimp
Jun 6, 2007
...well, the easy answer is "I am not a racer". That said, I still end up leading most group rides :D

This is designed to be a very aggressive "woods bike" for technical east coast style riding. I will ride it almost exclusively as a single speed, however....there will be a geared option for the winter months where the clay/ mud is too greasy for ss'ing.

It is intended to be able to handle alot of abuse...jumps, stunts...etc. A very nimble & quick (yet stable) bike for the demands of local terrain.
Very Aggressive is good.

I'm listening.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006

Let me add that Jay is a beast on the bike! He is the epitome of agressive in all seriousness. I've seen the man clean a 27" diameter tree trunk going up a 40 degree incline on the first attempt not even knowing it was coming up or have even seen it before.

Impressive to me to say the least.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
weird.

well throw it up in the photo gallery thread if you haven't done so already.

I'll be interested to hear your take on the Sultan vs. the wolfhound with the extremities in chainstay lengths on both bikes.

Cheers,

Mark

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...here's a couple from last weekend in Pisgah w/ Dave Turner.

1.) My Sultan with the Cane Creek Double Barrel

2.) Three Sultan owners talking 29er virtues with Dave Turner

3.) That's alot of Turners!!! :D