Quantcast

Wolfhound worship bastard lovebaby thread

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Just wondering is all. But why would your seat height differ on a SS vs. any other bike?

Let us know how it rides, steers, and handles the tight twisty stuff.

Must feel good to have it all completed.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Just wondering is all. But why would your seat height differ on a SS vs. any other bike?

Let us know how it rides, steers, and handles the tight twisty stuff.

Must feel good to have it all completed.
I typically run my saddle on average 1.5-2" lower on a SS....with all the standing for climbing, typically the only time I sit is when I need a break :) It's nice to have it down & out of the way as well.

FWIW, with the super low bb (;)), the saddle is only 1.5" below optimal XC height & still 1.5" below the bars....perfect setup for the riding I do.

I just returned from a ride & inspite of the fact that the star-nut (KING) didn't bite well and loosened up the headset mid-ride, I got a very good idea of how this bike is going to ride.....and it is super sweet!:brows: Very agile and quick handling, yet still has the stability of the 29er wheels. With the 16.5" CS's I nearly looped out several times manualling & J-hopping over logs...I love it!!!:banana:

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
I had the wife along today for a ride & we managed 2 so-so pics before the crappy P&S camera died :(

Hopping a log (please forgive the grimace ;))

Riding a bridge I built last year

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
ehhhh.....I was just wondering if you went with shorter cranks or something or if there was something wrong with those DMRs, especially since the XTs (which I think are sweet cranks) don't really fit with that color scheme you had going on.
...I just like to try different setups...just like you. That's what I was implying :) The DMR's were fine...heavy, but fine. I have the XT's & wanted to give them a try. No hidden meaning. I'm also not very fashion conscious....just want the best functioning setup.

MrCookie

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Bend, OR
That bike is sick and right... sounds like my dream geometry. One quick Q, are the chainstays too short? Does the front pick up too easy?

Look up electro-plating, plating, or chroming for anodizing.
There are do it yourself anodizing kits, but they appear to be in the $300+ range (caswell plating and plating sales)

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Chainstays are definitely NOT too short. The front comes up way easy & there is an adjustment period to accommodate, but it is so sweet to be able to J-hop & manual at will like the old days on a 26er :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I rode a 26er over the weekend and it was a real treat to be able to get the front end up without much effort at all - so I see where you are going with those short stays for sure. Actually the rides on the 26er over the weekend made me think that at my budget a 69er is probably a wiser choice than a full on 29er right now. :shocked:

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
The real beauty of this bike is that it utilizes the benefits of the 29" wheel while incorporating similar desirable characteristics of the 26" (due to the short cs's and the longer offset fork paired with a slacker HTA). The handling of this bike reminds me VERY much of my Sovereign...which is the frame I was attempting to model the Wolf after (in handling and intended riding style).

I still can't believe how quick this thing steers....and there is none of that wheel flop feeling I had on the Inbred.

The more I get used to the bike, the more I like it!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
The only thing close to your bike in terms of short chainstays is the Simon Bar correct?

I don't think there is any production bike with anything less than a 17" chainstay is there?

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
I haven't seen any to date. Another reason I had to start from scratch with this project. Fred's artistic ability is the icing on a very functional cake :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I haven't seen any to date. Another reason I had to start from scratch with this project. Fred's artistic ability is the icing on a very functional cake :)

Yeah I think the closest you might get is to run a Karate Monkey with the wheel all the way up in the dropouts. But the rest of the geometry will be a lot different than your bike - and nobody is doing a suspension fork that would be a proper match for a bike like yours either.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
...nobody is doing a suspension fork that would be a proper match for a bike like yours either.
Not so sure about that. One of the reasons I went with the 470mm a-c was in anticipation of the newer crop of fork offsets. For example, I think that the new Fox (80mm) w/ the 51mm offset would likely be a decent pairing. Now the QR only option, that's another story :)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Not so sure about that. One of the reasons I went with the 470mm a-c was in anticipation of the newer crop of fork offsets. For example, I think that the new Fox (80mm) w/ the 51mm offset would likely be a decent pairing. Now the QR only option, that's another story :)
True - forgot about the Fox.

and perhaps there will be even more options for you in a year or two right?

I mean, c'mon Rockshox has gotta give the Pike 29er a go at some point don't you think?

The only thing close to your bike in terms of short chainstays is the Simon Bar correct?

I don't think there is any production bike with anything less than a 17" chainstay is there?
Well, there's the long-promised Origin-8 Scout, Origin-8 being a J&B Imports house brand.. But, so far I don't think anyone has actually laid hands on a frame. The web site shows 16.75" chain stays.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well, there's the long-promised Origin-8 Scout, Origin-8 being a J&B Imports house brand.. But, so far I don't think anyone has actually laid hands on a frame. The web site shows 16.75" chain stays.
Yeah great - but not so great - because they f'd up and you can only squeeze something like a 1.95 rear tire inside those frames. Hence the lack of them showing up methinks.

Yeah great - but not so great - because they f'd up and you can only squeeze something like a 1.95 rear tire inside those frames. Hence the lack of them showing up methinks.
Well hey, whaddaya want for ~$300, anyway? Geez, you can run any cyclocross tire you want, you need more choices than that?

Since the two images of the Scout on the web site are rather different frames, I wonder what the final product will look like, if it ever makes it to production. Then again, I think I've about had my fill of $300 frames so I don't think I really care too much.

Just to stay on topic...
Can the Wolfhound run an E-type front derailleur, or is it strictly SS or 1x9 territory?

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
Can the Wolfhound run an E-type front derailleur, or is it strictly SS or 1x9 territory?
I would think an E-type derailleur could be accommodated. You'd have to call Fred & ask him about it. He's a super guy to work with and really likes something new to challenge him every now & then ;)

Another thing to consider with the 1x9 setup is some form of chainguide. I suppose with the standard BB shell it's a non issue, however I am loving the additional stiffness & simplicity of the wide bb/ xbb crank setup.

MrCookie

Chimp
Mar 1, 2005
Bend, OR
How much tire clearance is there?
Think you could run 3.0"X26" tires in the snow?
I wonder how much that would drop BB height? You'd lose 1.5" in wheel size, but gain X amount in tire size (unless run near flat).

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I think I'd rather have 29" wheels with the current tire choices than 26" wheels with 3.0s on em for the snow. No?

Wouldn't the 29ers tend to "sink" into the snow less?